Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-17-2008, 08:13 AM   #1  

Default Exercise help for a classic pear shape!

Can anyone give me advice on exercises for a pear shape? I store most weight on my hips, thighs and lower stomach.

I have a lot of weight to lose but would like to start toning as well.

Thanks.
natalied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:11 AM   #2  

Hi! I too, have a classic pear shape. I lost 60 lbs and really toned up by walking. I slowly increased my pace as time passed, and I really got a good work out with great results. My friend (a personal trainer) suggested walking. If you keep your stomach tight, you'd be surprised at how well it tones the tummy, too! I started with three times a week for 30 minutes, then increased from there. Good luck to you!
CRUISINANLOSIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:28 AM   #3  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Hi Natalie

I'm a pear too. One of the things I have found to be helpful is to really enhance the upper body through weight training. As pears we tend to carry most of our weight in our hips and thighs. The flip side of this is that we can lean out very nicely from the abs up through the neck and arms. Leaning out means that there is muscle definition. If you gain a little more muscle mass and definition in these areas it helps to balance out the overall proportion of the body with the relation to our hips. The added bonus is that the interest of these upper body muscles draw the eye up toward the face and away from the lower body we are still working on.

This is not to say that we should not also be working on our lowerbody. I give just as much dedication to those workouts as well. I just want to emphasis the importance of not forgetting the upper body as an asset when trying to improve the lower body.

Let us know what you have access to for exercise. Are you working out at home, do you have access to a gym, free weights, etc.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/161/144

Height: 5'9"

I agree with Cruisinanlosin and Lydia 227. Walking is the best for losing weight and toning up the legs, and weightlifting for the upper body. Lydia gives a great explanation for the weight training. I walk, jog and lift weights.

Swimming is great for all-over toning, and so is pilates. Yoga is good for everybody. These I'm just getting into, but they're great!
Kofarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:52 AM   #5  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Those are all great suggestions, but also realize that although you can influence your body shape considerably through diet and exercise, you can't change it completely! I'm a pear too, and no matter what I weigh, I'm still a pear, just a much smaller one. I'll never have skinny thighs .... but we pears can still become nicely proportioned.

Running has helped me, along with all-over strength conditioning and core training.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:58 AM   #6  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Amen to that! If only I could just shift some of that thigh up around where my chest should be.

By the way, I took a look at your before and after photos. WOW! AMAZING DIFFERENCE. I love the running and biking shots. Congratulations to you and your fit self.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:11 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 252/238/180

Height: tall enough to know what's on top of your refrigerator

Oh, I'm a pear, too. I have to agree with Lydia. Get lifting. It will help far, far more than you know.

MBN, I just looked at the China photos, and I have to say - the smile says it all! Good job!
denvertechchick is offline   Reply With Quote