South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-16-2008, 10:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 24/20/8

Height: 5'4"

Default Best non cooked things for SB

Ok - w/ the path TS (soon Hurricane) Faye is taking - we're stocking up on canned goods

now, yea there's tuna - but a lot of stuff isnt exactly LC
living out in the Rual area - I'm not sure on how quickly we'll lose power/when we'll get it back on - soooooo we're just being xtra careful! (cant hurt right!)

so suggestions besides canned beans and meat
Atlantisfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

If you've got a can of wax beans, a can of green beans, and a can of kidneys, you can do a three bean salad (I know, that's canned beans).

Maybe you could make some breakfast bars and hardboil some eggs in advance.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:04 AM   #3  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I use the prepackaged 3 oz. Chicken of the Sea Salmon for work all the time. They're in foil packs at Walmart. There's always fresh fruit (Phase II) and veggies. Peanut butter, almonds, etc.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:55 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 24/20/8

thx guys not sure how fresh stuff would work I think it would get bad pretty quick here

I just hope we dont lose power!!!
Atlantisfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:31 AM   #5  

That's a tough one, I'm having a hard time coming up with ideas. Hope you don't get hit!
Old 08-17-2008, 09:46 AM   #6  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Canned fruit in water, if you're on phase 2.

Canned soups, without the noodles, such as campbell's vegetarian soup, or some of those Chunky soups without noodles. And they have those packaged roasted butternut squash soup by campbells...

Other than that, I can't really think of anything.

I hope you don't get hit by the 'cane.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:54 AM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

You know, a hurricane is a good excuse for going off Phase I. Be safe and eat as healthy as you can.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #8  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

be safe do the best you can
get ice for the coolers
do you have a grill you will be able to use?
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:09 AM   #9  
Bonjour!

S/C/G: 190/Ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

You would have to eat Phase 2. Unless you had a generator and/or a big cooler to store meats/dairy.

Almond or peanut butter, dried apples or other fruit and ww crackers are a good snack.

Maybe you can make some oatmeal bars in advance.

What about buying a camping stove, or using an outdoor grill to cook if there is no power? When we lived in a rural area, we often used our portable camp stove or our outdoor gas grill when the power went out because we didn't want to eat cold food during ice storms. It's not a perfect cooking method, but it worked fine. We prepared and cooked entire "regular" meals using a large cooler with ice for our perishables, and a camp stove for cooking everything. If you make a big pot of soup or stew or chili in advance and freeze it in serving sizes, you could keep them in a cooler and heat up on the camp stove or grill.

Even if you have no cooler, you could cook ww pasta or rice and heat up tomato or pesto sauce with canned chickpeas or other beans for a complete protein, or use canned salmon or canned chicken breast if you had a way to cook, which I highly recommend.

Last edited by Belle Mer; 08-17-2008 at 10:10 AM.
Belle Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:44 AM   #10  

Just remember that camping stoves/propane are not designed to be used inside so if it is raining, you may not want to use that option. We always kept a sterno stove and lots of sterno on hand when I was growing up in Florida.

Good luck. You can also cook some casseroles ahead of time and freeze them. If you lose power, you can move them to an ice chest and thaw and reheat over sterno as you need. Soups are great for this. Frozen they work like ice in the cooler and then you can take them out and heat them. I hope it won't turn into a major hurricane but it is best to be prepared.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 11:01 AM   #11  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Don't buy anything fresh that you can't eat within a couple of days. Get.Bread, Peanut butter, triscuits, some of those nasty SBD bars and cereal. When you run out of milk cereal is ok dry. ( we ate it a lot after k) a couple of BIG ice chests full of ice. Canned chili etc...anything you an eat straight from the can without heating it. If you can't find SBD stuff, I wouldn't worry about it and just do the best you can. Just cruise up and down the canned aisle and grab! You will not want to cook anything with the heat and no air condition. Cooking/heating food is pretty much out of the question.

Then when the power goes out and the storm has gone, cook all the food in the freezer right away...we used our grill after Katrina. It was hot as hades out there...then we stored the food in the ice chest and of course everyone in our neighborhood shared their cooked food. We had a "party" in the middle of the street inbetween all the downed trees so everyone could use up their food. I lost hundreds of dollars of food that was in the fridge, so eat that up now. We do have a gas stove, but honestly, most of the time it was just too hot to eat anything hot.

Everyone was told to bury the contents of our fridges since there was no trash pick up for a very long time...so I will NEVER have a full fridge or freezer again during hurricane season.

After that, it was anything we could scrounge from the red cross and church groups who came to town (and that food was NOT pretty but very welcomed!) Ice was the biggest problem. No electricity for about 6 weeks...along with no stores open to buy anything.

If it's a dire situation like K was...just start over when things are normal again. Just try to watch portions. If your electricity is out for a while, believe me you aren't going to be that hungry anyway. Food was the last thing we felt like dealing with. We mostly felt like "snacky" stuff that was light. the thought of eating anything hot was nauseating. The smells that permeated the air didn't help either with wanting to eat. Oh, yeah, lots of bottled water and fill up your tub too. If your water goes out, at least you can flush your toilet with water from the tub and a bucket.

I would also suggest one of those cheap little black and white battary tvs/radios...and tons of battaries to run it. It was our only link to the world for 6 weeks.

Wishing you an "easy time" of it and no electricity loss!!

OH, and get CASH. If the electricity is out for a long time, no where will take plastic when things reopen. And fill every car up with gas. We had no gas stations opened for weeks either. It's a "trapped" feeling with no way to get more gas, no phones, no cell phones working etc.

I keep thinking of more. Dishwashing liquid...get a couple of BIG bottles of it. I only had a small bottle and of course couldn't run my dishwasher. About 3 weeks after the storm a walgreens reopened (the first place in town to open) and my husband brought me home a bottle of Dawn. I had been using bar soap and boiling water to wash dishes.I cried like a baby when he handed me that bottle. Sat on the floor and just sobbed I was so happy to get it.
Kinda funny, but the only "food" they had there was candy. So he bought a bunch of bags of chocolate stuff, like malted milk balls. Because the electrity had been out, it had all melted into "bricks". So we ate a lot of "bricks" for a while too. Paper plates are a good idea too. And tons of paper towels..oh and bleach..lots of bleach.

Oh, and a lot laundry detergent in case you have to wash your clothes in the sink. We had 2 sets of "light" clothes that were easy to wash in the sink and would dry quickly (thin stuff). So I would take the flash light into the kitchen early in the morning and wash clothes from the previous day in the sink, then hang them out in the back yard on 2 ladders that we put pvc pipe in between and by 10 they would be dry. Towels were a pain to wash. And our sheets got positively gross from the dirt and us sweating all night long. Sheets are NOT fun to wash by hand. My husband mostly slept on the floor of the bathroom because the tiles were cool, but I couldn't handle that.

I had my Great Grandmother's porcelain drip pot, so we did have coffee. Someone would have died had we not.

It sounds stupid if you haven't gone through it, but food is so way down on the list of things you deal with afterwards.

Last edited by femmecreole; 08-17-2008 at 11:58 AM.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:24 PM   #12  
Bonjour!

S/C/G: 190/Ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Yes, don't use a camp stove indoors, of course. If the power is out, you won't want to cook indoors anyway.

Don't forget water.

If you drink coffee, a easy and good thing on hand to have are one of these melitta manual coffee cones, filters, to go on top of your mug, or something similar to this if you have a lot of coffee drinkers, providing you have a stove to boil water.

If you have access to ice and cooler, a grill or portable stove, and light - a couple of oil lamps, flashlights/batteries, candles, Lanterns, you could eat, drink, read, and socialize.

I second the idea of meal replacement bars. SBD and even Atkins are good for when you don't feel like cooking or eating.

Last edited by Belle Mer; 08-17-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Belle Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:29 PM   #13  

Wow, Cat what an experience you went through. I should print your list and keep it in case we ever have a situation, not that many storms make it up this far now that we're farther away from the coast.

FYI I make the coffee I drink every day without heat. I have a toddy coffee maker, but it's not magic, it could be done in a big pan. You put a pound of coffee in a half gallon of cold water and let soak over night. In the morning strain through a cheesecloth and you will have coffee concentrate. I make up this amount and it lasts me more than a week, drinking two strong cups a day. It's great for making iced coffees or lattes. When you are ready to drink it you just add water to get the strength you like.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:08 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Cat, I know how truly catastrophic Katrina was, (and still is for many), but reading your post just gave me the shivers. I'm wiping my eyes even now. What a horrific, nightmarish tragedy! Thank you so much for your very informative post on supplies people in a hurricane-prone area should stock up on. You are a saint and Godsend to everyone.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 02:28 PM   #15  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

yea, it was a "physical adventure" alright, but I was one of the lucky ones.
The emotional stuff. (my parents in New Orleans in the hospital and me not knowing what happened to them etc) and then seeing and smelling N.O. and all my family's houses gone. All family now spread out all over the South. Sure I'll never get over that.

Schmoodle, I have a toddy too...but you have to keep the concentrate in the fridge after you make it. Ice is very hard to come by after something like that so you can't count on storing anything in an ice chest. It's a treasure. I guess you could always just make a tiny bit over night for the next day, huh?
Luckily I could boil water and use my Great Grandmother's drip pot. I have a picture of it here.

Ok, enough sad. You do what you have to and move on...wanna see something hilarous??? I filmed the puppies the other night...We call it "Puppy Olympics" Make sure you have the sound on.

Last edited by femmecreole; 08-17-2008 at 02:38 PM.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote