Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-16-2008, 09:22 PM   #1  
Erica

S/C/G: 265/Tracker/150

Height: 5'3"

Default Why am I consuming so many empty calories? I hate this.

Alright. I went out to Dairy Queen and got one of them Peanut Buster Parfaits. My god it was delicious but by the last spoonful I felt all of that guilt rushing back. Now I feel upset because I did this to myself. I hate that I do this. I'll be eating well for a week or so then I'll go and have a massive ice cream treat for desert that has 700 calories in it. And I also had steak for dinner which did not help much either. I'm so frustrated with myself because this is what caused all the weight gain.
EricaBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:50 PM   #2  

Height: 5'8

I suggest if you're ever craving ice cream reach for weight watcher bars, skinny cow cones, or low fat ice cream in general. I've pretty much vowed that no ice cream parfait or sundae that isn't low fat from dairy queen, coldstone, etc. isn't worth all the hard work I put into losing the weight and controlling my eating behaviours.

Don't beat yourself up! Just learn from your mistakes and remember how you feel now the next time you're thinking about dessert.
tater tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:04 PM   #3  

We eat what makes us emotionally feel good. When I see a Dairy Queen I want a fudge sundae because I had them as a teenager. I haven't had steak in ages but I grew up at a time when it was affordable and we'd have it for dinner. These are also delicious to eat and after a period of being good and eating all the right food the occasional slip up is normal. My most successful diet was the Cambridge diet - now Nutrisystem - and I did really well on it. One thing I did not do was stay on it for weeks. In those days it was a liquid diet and they didn't have prepackaged meals. Once a week I would choose McDonalds or Wendy's of the like and have a kids meal to soothe that part of me that wanted a treat. I would have been a heck of a lot less successful if I didn't do that for myself. Unfortunately the Cambridge line was sold to Nutrisystem and the price doubled overnight and I could no longer afford it.

I really enjoy frozen yogurt and sorbets which are better for you and get these real fruit popsicles which are especially nice in hot weather.

Don't kick yourself over this. It's just a little shift. You'll be back on track tomorrow. One day at a time, as they say.
spinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:07 PM   #4  
Erica

S/C/G: 265/Tracker/150

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinky View Post
We eat what makes us emotionally feel good. When I see a Dairy Queen I want a fudge sundae because I had them as a teenager. I haven't had steak in ages but I grew up at a time when it was affordable and we'd have it for dinner. These are also delicious to eat and after a period of being good and eating all the right food the occasional slip up is normal. My most successful diet was the Cambridge diet - now Nutrisystem - and I did really well on it. One thing I did not do was stay on it for weeks. In those days it was a liquid diet and they didn't have prepackaged meals. Once a week I would choose McDonalds or Wendy's of the like and have a kids meal to soothe that part of me that wanted a treat. I would have been a heck of a lot less successful if I didn't do that for myself. Unfortunately the Cambridge line was sold to Nutrisystem and the price doubled overnight and I could no longer afford it.

I really enjoy frozen yogurt and sorbets which are better for you and get these real fruit popsicles which are especially nice in hot weather.

Don't kick yourself over this. It's just a little shift. You'll be back on track tomorrow. One day at a time, as they say.
So are you still on the Nutrisystem? How did you like it & did you see a difference on it?
EricaBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:26 PM   #5  

Actually, Erica, I never went to Nutrisystem after they doubled the price. It became way too expensive. It did work really well for me though. It was all liquid diet or the bars but the bars tasted like crap. My nails were fabulously strong and I lost a lot of weight. Felt great too. We're talking a good ten to fifteen years ago. I looked into Nutrisystem recently but it's so pricey I knew that I wouldn't be able to keep it up even if I did lose weight. I will still say that the reason I was successful and could stick to it was knowing I would be giving myself a little treat once a week.

Give yourself a treat once in a while. It doesn't have to be food. Spend the money on a nice book or a sexy new bra. Something you would like to have. I recently worked out how much I've been paying to buy lunch at work and almost fell over. I could fill my gas tank twice a month on it.
spinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:53 AM   #6  
*~Beautiful Hope~*

S/C/G: HW: ~200 SW: 170's/150's/115

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaBG View Post
Alright. I went out to Dairy Queen and got one of them Peanut Buster Parfaits. My god it was delicious but by the last spoonful I felt all of that guilt rushing back. Now I feel upset because I did this to myself. I hate that I do this. I'll be eating well for a week or so then I'll go and have a massive ice cream treat for desert that has 700 calories in it. And I also had steak for dinner which did not help much either. I'm so frustrated with myself because this is what caused all the weight gain.
Hope you don't mind me jumping in with my $.02, but your post really struck a chord with me since I have been thinking about the issue you present at length lately. Firstly, I highly doubt that a little calorie slip-up once a week caused a significant weight gain. Perhaps it was the little slip-up that caused a calorie avalanche over a period of time? I am only saying this b/c I know that in the past this is what usually happened with me!

I think you should go ahead and treat yourself once a week; after a while you may find that you are choosing healthier, lower calorie options of whatever previously forbidden food you were craving simply because it is no longer forbidden. Or you can work the extra calories into your plan. For example, at Dairy Queen (which, I admit, I haven't been to in forever simply because I don't like to eat at fast food restaurants, but I'll go when invited) if I am really craving ice cream and have been good with my food and exercise for the past week or longer, I will treat myself to a small or large vanilla soft serve, either with or without the cone, no toppings b/c I simply don't like them. I like the unadulterated taste of the ice cream without all of the extra sugar. Incidentally, when I was growing up, plain vanilla and chocolate soft serve from the local ice cream stand on the side of the road once or twice each summer was all we were allowed. I would read all of the exotic flavors on the board, but they were too expensive for my parents to afford to buy one for all 10 of us. My parents would rather spend their money at the farmers market on organic veggies and fruit and at whole foods (fresh fields back then) than on ice cream, which I agree with today. I never minded, and in retrospect I am glad that we couldn't afford higher calorie foods and spent our grocery money wisely. Those exotic sounding ice cream flavors and combos don't really sound that exotic or appealing to me today...they just sound really sugary and gross!

I figure that the 200-400 extra calories this costs me once every few months, or even once a week in your case, are not going to hamper my weight loss efforts, and so far they haven't. I know a lot of people like the sugar free, fat free versions of foods, but I have always found them to be tasteless and unsatisfying. If I feel like I have worked hard and deserve a treat, I want the real thing...but in its simplest form and a small quantity of it. Why should I eat something that I don't even like, especially if it's not giving me much in the way of nutrients? Just b/c the label says it's a certain food doesn't mean it is...I let my taste buds do the judging, especially in this day and age of over processed, artificial, lab-made foods. Of course, I know that some people are required by their medical conditions to eat a low sugar or low fat diet, but if you're not one of those people then by all means you should let yourself have a real treat from time to time. And don't beat yourself up about it later!

One of the things we have to learn before we can be successful at maintaining our weight loss or even to lose the weight in the first place is that we need to learn how to live in the real world, in our own lives, at a healthy weight for our individual body. This means that liquid diets and prepackaged meals probably are not a good way to go, unless you can keep it up for life. Those things may work for some people; I just don't know any of them.

I apologize if I come across as a little preachy; I just wanted you to know that you don't have to be perfect all the time to lose weight. I certainly am not. In fact, I had 3 small ginger snap cookies tonight. And much worse than that, I have tried and failed many times in the past at losing weight. I just know this time is different because my mindset has totally changed for the better and I am not letting anything get in my way of what I want anymore...and I really want to get in shape. And it's been working so far. I also haven't been as hard on myself for not being 100% perfect in my eating. I barely ever track my calories, although by this point I know the calories in every natural food known to man (not so much the restaurant food, as I don't eat out due to my "selective" tastebuds ) by now due to "dieting" off and on for years. And I'm only 25! There's that, and the fact that I'm a habitual label reader. So I usually do know the estimate of how many calories I'm ingesting on a daily basis, but I am not being obsessive about tracking that number. I am much more concerned with counting my servings of veggies and fruits and making sure I get plenty of whole foods in my diet. It works for me, but some people need more structure and accountablity, which there's nothing wrong with.

The important thing is that you enjoy life, and find a way to lose weight that you can stick with long after the weight is gone (of course, you can add back some calories by that point!). I have learned that being consistent, not perfect, and getting right back on the weight loss wagon immediately after every slip-up are the 2 most important things that have helped me lose 15 lbs. so far. Oh, there's also that pesky little eating less and moving more strategy, which I have slowly grown accustomed to since it actually works!

I wish you luck in your journey.
EsperanzaBella82 is offline   Reply With Quote