Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 06:11 PM   #1  

Default **what Do You Look Forward To Once You're Post-op??**

After reading so many posts from those who are already post-op, I started thinking what I'm anticipating once I have surgery (which I hope will be this fall !!). It's almost hard for my mind to comprehend that there will be a day when so many of my fantasies will come true.

First, I can't wait to no longer have Type 2 diabetes!! It appears that it's highly likely this disease will go away once the weight starts coming off and I will probably no longer have to take medication, and will have normal blood sugar levels!! wheee. No more threat of blindness, limb amputations, kidney failure due to diabetes!! Gosh, I can't wait!

I also can't wait to not have to buy plus-sized clothes, not be embarrassed for my family because of my size....to certaily appear more "normal", to have more energy, to not overeat and have control over what goes in my mouth, to not hate mirrors or having my picture taken (which also includes being in home videos), to not have my weight be the 1st and last thing on my mind EVERY day (and consuming much of my thoughts during the day!!), to not worry if furniture will break on my, to feel pretty, to be able to participate in sports/outside activities, to have self-respect, and just so much more!! I'd be here forever listing everything from clothes, to underwear, to body parts etc!!

I just thought it would be fun to find out what others look forward to once they begin to shed their old bodies and become so grateful for their new ones (saggy skin and all !!). Let's hear what you think!! God Bless...

Just me...Robin
Pre-285
Desired-150/160
Old 07-17-2002, 08:42 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

oh my!!! well, even now, even with 100 pounds to go [and 220 down!!!], i'm amazed. i can move, breathe, walk. shop. and more shopping. work. travel.

still have a little bit more rehab to go, but i'm moving right along. and that's what most important to me.. i'm actually doing whatever i want, or working towards getting my normal life back.

and that's the best!!!!

how is your approval process going?
Old 07-18-2002, 01:59 AM   #3  

Let's see....

I'm pretty active for my weight, but it's only a fraction of what I used to do. I'm an active sport playing, water (swimming, boating, etc.) loving, person in a heavy body.

I want to hike up a mountain all the way to the vista. I want to go swimming and not feel ashamed. I want to go jetsking and be able to balance. I want to go camping more with the family. I want to wear regular clothes. I want to feel pretty again. I want to go dancing and not feel awkward. I want to go mountain biking with my fit husband. I want to go to a water slide park again. I want to do all that I can with my kids.

The list could go on and on, but most of all I want to be healthy again.

I am so looking forward to getting the Lap-Band.

Blondee
Old 07-18-2002, 07:08 AM   #4  
she who must be obeyed

Hi Robin, I just wanted to tell you that indeed the chance of your type 2 diabetes going away are very good. Mine is GONE!!!!!! I'm down 91 pounds and no longer need any meds for my blood sugar.

I still have about 75 pounds to go, I'm in no rush, I didn't get fat overnight. Needless to say I can be a slow loser. I seem to see a pattern of lose, gain a couple lose a bunch.

Aside form all the health benefits which was my big reason for doing wls, I too want to be able to walk into a store, any store and buy clothes that are in fashion, not just what fits.

I want to be able to chase my grandkids while they learn to ride a bike, I missed out on this with my own kids. The most important thing, I want to live to see my grandkids born, before wls, I didn't know if this would happen, but now i KNOW it will.

I want to grow old with my husband. I want to live long enough to spend the money he has socked away for our old age. LOL

The list is just so long and some of it is superficial, but all of it is important.

Debbie
Old 07-18-2002, 06:31 PM   #5  
Hang In There

Default I'LL ANSWER FOR ALVIN

PLAY GOLF AGAIN!!! Of course there are many many other things, such as being able to walf from the house to the car without getting out of breath (He can already do that, and it was exciting when he did it the first time.) Other things he can do that seem small to some people, but were great milestone, was to be able to fasten the seat belt in the car again, to be able to wear dress shoes again, and you get the picture, right?

Of course his ultimate goal was to get healthy enough to live a couple more years.

Some of MY goals are to be able to go to the Olive Garden Resturant again. Couldn't go cause they only had chairs with arms, and he didn't fit. To have him able to sleep in the bed again, and just generally have a life again.
Old 07-19-2002, 06:41 PM   #6  

Talking Just checking in!!

Hi Everyone...

Thanks for your posts...they are so fun to read! The best part is, we can share these things together and cheer each other on with all our victories!!!

Jiff....as for my surgery, things are slowly progressing. I've already had my consult and was approved by the surgeon here on base. The problem is, he's presently deployed and won't be doing surgeries for at least a few more months. I have now opted to go to a British surgeon and have a consult with him on Aug. 27th....although I still hope maybe sooner if I can snag a cancellation. I don't think I will have any problems meeting this new surgeon's criteria for WLS, but I think it will still probably be October(ish) before I have surgery. Still frustrates me to have to keep waiting, but, at least I feel like it's going to happen.

Well, my family & I are off for 6 days to Wales/Scotland. Since we live here in England, it's not that big of a trip. So, I'll be gone for about a week.......looking forward to meeting up with all of you next weekend!! Be safe and well....God Bless

Just me...Robin
Pre-285
Desired-150/160
Old 08-15-2002, 11:18 PM   #7  

hello,

i am new to this site. i had surgery april 1st 2002. i have lost 90 pounds. i feel much better health wise. but i am also having trouble getting enough food in. for so many years i could only thinkof what i would or should not have. now i hve to force myself to eat. if you had told me this would occur i never would have believed it. so it is still a food struggle ut the end results are worth it.

hannah
Old 08-16-2002, 04:16 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

so glad to meet you, hannah... and it's really quite a change, isn't it???

you've done FABULOUSLY well... are you in a support group? i'm ALWAYS looking for support groups that work. mine is such a dud.

there aren't many of us participating on this forum, but i hope that we'll grow as we all shrink [sorry, couldn't help myself!!!]
Old 08-20-2002, 03:45 PM   #9  
Hang In There

Default I forgot...

MY goal for Alvin is to be able to ride in my Mustang!!! My 98 Bright Blue Mustang convertible is my pride and joy, but Alvin has never been in it. I'd love for him to be able to go for a ride with me!
Old 08-20-2002, 04:29 PM   #10  

Things I looked forward to that I have accomplished:

Diabetes is gone
Renal function is improved
I can walk without tiring
I can ride on roller coasters
I can stand without incredible back pain
Stamina - I can work without exhaustion and pain
Fit in a booth - anywhere
Swim
Buy clothing other than what will cover the most area
Not base every decision on weight, whether I can physically do it, whether I can "fit", whether I will be embarrassed
Sit on the floor and get back up
Ride a bike again
Learn taekwondo with my kids
Exercise regularly (sometimes more regularly than others, but am working on it)

The only things I looked forward to that I haven't accomplished yet:

Camping
Hiking
Going back to school
In-line skating
Playing soccer (okay, I played once with my son, but I want more)

Camping and hiking I just need to find the time for. In-line skating, I just need to find the guts for! Going back to school will happen someday - another time issue.

My bottom line, pre-surgery, was that I didn't want to die of a heart attack or diabetic complication, and felt that it was coming very swiftly. Now, I feel I have a life again. I wouldn't change it for the world.

Dawna
Old 08-21-2002, 08:02 PM   #11  
New Mommy!!

Hello....
Just hit a mile stone.... I bought my new Bra's today, at Victoria Secret.
Woo Hoo!!

Derby
Old 08-22-2002, 07:09 AM   #12  

This is going to sound so shallow but before surgery the only thing I looked forward to was looking good. Of course I told everyone that it was about my health and having more energy for my kids but in the back of my mind it was always about getting cute clothes and looking HOT!! The health and energy have come with it but in my vain little brain they are just secondary benefits...LOL.

Debbie(dreamsmall)
Closed Thread