Old 08-10-2008, 09:00 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #31

Good morning to you all. Looks like it is time to start a new thread. It is a balmy 71 this morning, going to get thunderstorms and not supposed to get above 78 today for a change. Back to the 80's tomorrow though then it creeps back up. We have yet to venture over to the pool and it closes in 3 weeks. Maybe we will get over there yet.

Susan: So glad you have taken a turn for the better. I saw that the black comedian, Bernie Mac passed away from pheumonia complications. It always surprises me in this day and age, that people can still pass away from things like this, but the body is not super human. Sounds like you had a good time at quilt guild. Thanks for the info. Sometimes I think I am going to forever have to deal with this, not the disease, that is a given, but stupid stuff like the cramping everytime I exert myself, walking will especially cause it, the control issues, and some other more private stuff that I can't discuss here. I know I have to give it time. After all, I had major surgery again just 4 months ago, but I want to get back to walking and such and build myself back up. I force myself to walk a lot of the times and usually pay for it. Thing is, as soon as I quit whatever I am doing and sit down, the cramping will go. I just think walking, etc gets the gas going and that is what causes the cramping. When I was in the hospital they said to walk a lot so I wouldn't be in pain, but seemed like the walking made it worse for me at least. Anyway, I know I have to just be patient!

Jean: You will be amazed at the difference for your high speed from dial up. From what I understand, dial up is expected to completely be fazed out within a year or so. Things like AOL are going to have to be completely cable ready I guess. Hope Bob has fun fishing. Does he usually come home with a lot? I imagine they eat fish during their trip, but just wondered if you ended up with tons of fish in your freezer. Jack was telling me he has a guy he works with that loves to hunt. Every year he takes this expensive vacation to Colorado to go on an elk hunt. He has done this for 12 years and has yet to bring one home. I guess it all depends on what is fun for you. For me it is a hotel, eating out and bright lights of Vegas, but for others mucking around in snow, mud and wet is a high old time!

Gail: Good to see you here. I would love to have Jack home all the time. I however do not have a "do something all the time" kind of husband. Mine will do anything I want, but he is a procrastinater. Don't ya just love 'em though? Today he just left to go to Firestone and get an oil change, a check on the air filter and replacement of two turn signal bulbs. I feel sorry for him that he has to get up early on one of his only two days off, but he has to get there when they open or he sits forever.

I am off to go make the bed and bring down laundry and get it started than it is a shower and dressing for me. I am freezing this morning.

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:07 PM   #2  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! I'm taking a break before getting back to sorting out my computer room junk 'n stuff. One thing about it is that I've found things I forgot I had and other things that I wondered why I ever saved them in the first place! At least one room will be squeaky clean and ready for a new paint job!

Gail -- I keep telling Bob he needs to plan ahead for some sort of part-time job when he officially retires! He puts in his time at the office, but after 26 years the clients come to him so he doesn't have to go out and recruit new business.

"Gma" -- The guys eat shore lunch fixed by the guide every day -- it's fish that they caught in the morning plus whatever else he throws in the pot. Canada and Minnesota have different rules for keeping fish than Iowa does . . . you have to throw the 'big' ones back and keep the smaller ones. They can only bring a very limited number back with them -- it's like 2 of one kind and 1 of another. The place where they stay cleans and freezes the fish so they are ready when the guys leave. They have to leave part of the scales on so the legal eagles can tell what kind of fish it is, if they decide to do a count. Jason is going to Wyoming in Sept. to hunt elk. He has caught several over the years. They used to hunt prairie dogs but guess they are on the endangered list now. I was surprised when you said you were freezing!

I've got to get busy or I will still be sorting and pitching in this room at midnight! Have a nice rest of the day and a marvelous Monday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:18 AM   #3  

Good morning to you all! Seems like a fairly nice day out so far today. First day of school around here.

Jack is playing hookie today so he will go out later and get the car inspected. I am going to go in a couple hours and get my nails done. I am gearing up for the Cubs trip to Houston next month. I have my shirt, I bought cute little dangly earrings with the Cubs logo, and a couple days ago bought 2 packages of Cubs logo nail "tattoos" to wear to the game. I am going to put one on each big toe and then a couple on my nails! lol I plan on getting my toenails and fingernails painted bright red the day before we go then stick on the removable tattoos. They last about 2 weeks I think. I told Jack the Cubs better win that Sunday or I will have to walk around in closed toed shoes and with my fists balled up! I find it amusing the closer we get to divisional play and the World Series the worse the overall grumbling online is about how the team is going to choke or how this person or that person hates the Cubs. Fact is, this is the best team the Cubs have had in 20 years and I think people that are fans of other teams see that the Cubs have a real chance this year. In all those idiotic statistics men tend to keep about baseball, the Cubs are in 1st,2nd or 3rd place in most statistical areas, ie slugging percentage, on base percentage, walk ratio, junk like that. All I know is that I have been a fan since I was old enough to know what baseball was, watching it with my grandfather and it is about time I get to see them do something great! I will personally go down into the dugout and punch their lights out if they embarrass me but getting their behinds whipped in Houston!

Jean: Sounds like they bring back just enough to enjoy a meal without having your freezer full of nothing but fish. When do you start back to school again? I know you will enjoy your computer room once it is spic and span again.

We went to see the Mummy movie yesterday and it was quite good. So much so, that I sat for the last 45 minutes having to go to the bathroom, but I didn't want to leave and miss something. It was an enjoyable afternoon then I talked to my older sister on the phone and it rounded it all out nicely with the Cubs on tv in the evening.

Everyone have a great start to their week!
Faye
Old 08-11-2008, 01:40 PM   #4  

Good afternoon, ladies! Nice and cool today - 78 degrees - after thunder showers last night.

I thought you didn't post yesterday - the old thread was on top because Gail posted so I didn't see the new one.

I'm down another pound. Still doing my WW Core and Beck Diet Solution.

Faye, you are the ultimate Cubs fan for sure. I just have never been interested in sports - but I grew up with the Cleveland Indians and the Cleveland Browns so there wasn't anything to grab my interest.

Jean, my dad loved to fish - blue gills and croppies near us. Wish I had some right now. I've got to get back to the sorting and pitching, too.

Gail, hope you can come by more often now that Wayne has gone back to work. Miss having you around.

Maggie, are you settled in your "mansion" by now? Look forward to hearing all about it when you get hooked back up.

Have a good evening!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:06 PM   #5  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! Well, I've got high speed internet now, but have to wait until later in the day to change my user name and password. I've tried twice and their computer hasn't processed us yet. I thought computers were supposed to be so fast. It's a toss up between clouds and sun -- kind of 'cool' at 70 degrees. I didn't walk this morning cuz I thought I was going to be the first install of the day at 8:00. Silly me . . . the guy didn't show up until after 10:00. Oh well, I finished cleaning off the cobwebs and fur/dust clumps in the computer room. I hope he was impressed. I wanted to have the room painted and new carpet before the high speed install, but guess that will come later.

Bob called last night and they had caught their limit of fish by 1:00 in the afternoon. So they kept fishing, took pictures of the big ones, and threw them back in the lake.

"Gma" -- Wherever did you find Cubs tatoos? You most definitelly have to be their #1 fan! I had to at the mental picture of you trucking down to the dugout after the game! I hope you can give hugs instead of punching lights out! I am not a big sports fan although we live in Iowa vs. Iowa State territory. There are some die hards who get pretty emotional about their teams. I go back to school on Thursday. It's an 8 to 4 workshop with the Love and Logic guy talking. We will be in the middle school gym which is not air conditioned and sitting on bleachers which doesn't excite me at all. I don't know why we couldn't be in the auditorium with soft seats and air conditioning. Teachers make the worst group to work with because they are so rude. They (not me) talk and whisper during the presentations or work on their lesson plans or bulletin board stuff. I'm glad you enjoyed the movie!

Susan -- Congrats on losing another pound! You are doing so well with the program. We lived in a condo in N. Olmsted and Cleveland Brown/Indian players would rent in our building during their season. They'd rent furniture, dishes, etc., and just leave when the season was over. At the time I didn't know you could rent furniture let alone dishes, bedding, etc. I was impressed! We never met any of them and hardly knew they were even there. Sun fish and perch were my favorites when my parents had their cabin in MN. We'd catch them right off the dock and they were so good!

I need to get busy and do some clothes sorting. I found clothes I forgot I had -- don't even know if they will fit or not. If not, out they go! Have a nice rest of the day and a terrific Tuesday tomorrow.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 08-12-2008, 07:26 AM   #6  

Good Morning, Flowers! I don't think I have posted this early ever! I was checking to see if my new email address came through yet. The guy was kind of a jerk when I called for the 3rd time last night. The user name I wanted was already being used, must use lower case, unusual password (in other words I took it as being dumb), etc., etc., etc. He said it could take 24 - 48 hours for the change to come through. The installer told me by late afternoon so I suspect I was put at the bottom of the pile after calling so many times. GRRRR! It's a chilly 60 degrees here; I got up to walk and it is pouring rain so will wait until later when it is light and see what the weather is doing then. I'm taking MIL to the dentist this morning and then will work on the piles I moved out of the computer room.

Well, I guess I will make the bed and head downstairs. Have a great day . . . the choice is yours!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 08-12-2008, 08:21 AM   #7  

Good morning everyone. Jack's appt is at 8:30 and we have to get the car tags today and do the shopping and go to the bank and take the dog to the groomers so we want to get hopping. He also had to get blood tests besides his echo so no food this morning and of course he is starving.

Susan: Congrats on the loss! Glad all of it is working for you. I would bet the last 5-10 lbs is as hard as the first 100 as far as being frustrated and discouraged and stuff. I think I would be knowing I was a fingertip from goal. I don't like anything but baseball and don't watch anything but Cubs games unless they are close to winning the division race and then I might watch the other team's game that could put us out of the running. Right now we are in first in the division with the next team 3 1/2 games behind, then 6 games behind, then boy does it fall apart. Anyway, I know a little about a lot of sports as Jack is a sports nut. If they had competitive tiddly winks I imagine I would be seeing the game on tv.... I do like to keep Jack on his toes by remember facts about who played on what team and such. Love for him to be shocked when I know something.

Jean: You should live with what I did when we lived in South Bend. Everyone is a Notre Dame fan, I worked for the law firm that had them as a client, and Jack dispises Notre Dame. My family, including my son, who as I have said lives just a few blocks from the university, is a huge fan too. It was such a hoot when the family, sister and dh, her son-in-law, dd and family, my other sister and her dh, us and Jay's family get together on Saturday to watch the game. Jack would program his laptop to play the fight song of the other team and play it as loud as possible everytime the team scored! Last year, the whole family kind of slunk around because Notre Dame had the worst losing record of the school's history. Of course, Jack wasn't up there every weekend to rub it in. He just ribbed the heck out of our son.

Well, we are leaving soon so we can be there as soon as they open. Have a wonderful Tuesday and stay cool and dry!
Faye
Old 08-12-2008, 10:13 AM   #8  

Good morning, ladies! Another cool day here. Then the rains are coming everyday until Sunday so it will stay cool...by cool I mean in the lower 80s.

I did some mending and made a quilt block for my Wednesday bee exchange last night. Tonight I'll have dinner with friends and then we will be going to the quilt guild meeting. I finally got all the fabrics pulled for my challenge quilt. Hopefully I can get my friend to take a picture and I can put it on here so you can see one of my small quilts.

Faye, sounds like you have a busy day ahead. I hope you get that poor man something to eat as soon as you can after his test.

Jean, once you get the kinks out, you'll love high speed internet. I resisted for a long time but dial up was just too slow and drove me crazy. I love it. I don't understand...I haven't found the missing quilt block yet but you are still going back to school? I thought we agreed school wouldn't start until I found it.

I'm now under my WW goal weight again but still 14 pounds from where the doctor thinks I should be. The last pounds are the hardest because they come off slower but I continue to feel better and better with each pound gone so it's worth the effort.

Have fun today, don't just work!
Old 08-12-2008, 02:46 PM   #9  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Good afternoon Magnolias! And it really is a good afternoon. The weather is beautiful in Delaware and by that I mean that sunny, breezy, low humidity with the temp peaking at about 80 degrees. I have had the windows wide-open since Sunday afternoon. Wonderful. No air conditioner on. I sure do hope this helps my electricity bill when it comes in next time.

Wayne is back to work as of yesterday. After having him home for eight weeks, it felt strange to kiss him goodbye in the morning at...6:30am!! Both of us had forgot how that felt--waking up at 5:30am. Yes, I wake up with him. Slowly, we had started going to bed later and later and waking up later and later. So Monday morninging was a little rough. (I took a nap yesterday.)

Jean and Faye, Wayne told me he will never retire from working! He says even when he retires from Chrysler, he will continue to work at least part time. Me? I don't wanna work! As long as I can buy a book and some yarn every now and then, I'm happy. It doesn't take much to keep me happy!

Susan, congratulations to you on reaching WW goal! I have to admit I have not been doing well in the "being on-program" part of my life in the last couple of weeks. I've been waiting for WW to run one of their registration free promotions. One of these days I'm going to learn how to quilt. That's one of the things I've always wanted to learn. Right now I'm obsessed with knitting mittens, fingerless gloves--all things to do with hands, I guess! I was able to buy some sock yarn on sale when I was in Va. Beach last week so I think I'll start knitting socks soon. OH! You're doing CORE? I'm considering that instead of counting points.....

Tomorrow will be a "fun-packed" day. I've got to drive to the university and get a new identification card because my old one will stop working at some point and they're trying to get all the retirees in to change their's. Then, I'm going to Babies R Us to print out a registry list a friend at church has (her baby shower is the 25th), then I'm going to give blood (never done that before), and then I pick up my granddaughters. THEN...after dinner, we go to bible study (this time at a friend's house and not at the church).

Well....I guess that's about it...
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:01 PM   #10  

"Gma" -- Jack sounds like he is just a kid at heart. Our athletic director is a BIG Notre Dame fan! Some of the men teachers are die hard whatever and they always are giving each other a bad time. You had a busy day today!

Susan -- Ready or not . . . school is going to start so you'd better do some more digging to find your quilt block! Is your WW goal the one in the WW book or one you and your doctor set for you?

Gail -- What does Wayne do at his job? Is there any danger that he could be laid off? Congratulations on donating blood! I do that on a regular basis. It takes longer to fill out the paperwork than it does to actually donate.

I'm going to try and change my email address here.

Last edited by Jean; 08-12-2008 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:55 AM   #11  

Good morning ladies. Going to be a beautiful day I hope.

Susan: Man, you are in a serious time crunch now. Jean is breathing down your neck to find that fabric! Congrats on the WW goal. I know you will reach your medical goal soon. You do such a fabo job of eating right, but bet it took you years didn't it to learn the right stuff! We left the dr office and we went to Perkins and got the man some breakfast. I did what I usually do, ate about a third of mine.

Jean: I got your email so you are good to go with that. Notre Dame is one of those far reaching fan bases. We travel all over on our trips and I always see at least one Notre Dame shirt, hat or whatever on somebody. I am seriously married to a big kid and a spoiled one too. We are at loggerheads right now about him wanting a Blackberry. First off, the man doesn't work an office job, he is not on call for his job, he uses his cell phone only for necessary stuff not just to visit, never uses it in the car unless I call him to stop at the store on the way home and his sil told him that the internet/email part of the phone is slow and that he doesn't use it much. Secondly, if we are traveling, we take the laptop to use in the hotel so we don't need that part of the stupid thing anyway. Thirdly is the cost. Right now we own pay as you go phones as they are the most cost effective for us. Just to tell you how little I use my phone, it has almost 700 minutes on it! I have to buy time every three months and never run out or even come close. I just looked at Jack's phone and he has 150 on his right now. The blackberry is something like $200 to buy and then the service is like $130 a month. Fourthly, you have to commit to a 2 year contract so if he doesn't like it, we are stuck. I have dug my heels in, but we have had 3 fights about it. He doesn't like the fact that I am saying he can't have it when he makes all the money. He is being incredibly stubborn and bullheaded and won't see reason about this. I will not win this one as he is determined, but I am going to say "I told you so," so many times he is going to be sick of hearing it!

Gail: I am sure your hubby is glad to be going back. Jack would love to be able to retire. He is truly sick of working and I feel for him. He just went past his anniversary date so he has 7 years and he can retire. You make pretty knitted things, why not knit this person something for the baby? I really need to get back to knitting, but still haven't gotten the urge. I imagine it will come soon though.

I bought a pair of Clarks brand walking shoes and got them yesterday. They are THE ugliest shoes I have ever seen and are going right back. I bought the all white and they still look like bowling shoes. I hated them on sight, but did give them a chance. I put them on and walked once around the whole downstairs, but just couldn't embrace their ugliness so back they go. I have a pair of New Balance shoes for walking but they are really too heavy for me I think.

Everyone take care and have a nice Wednesday.
Faye
Old 08-13-2008, 01:53 PM   #12  

Good afternoon, ladies! Cool 79 degrees and low humidity today but cloudy and gloomy. Makes me think of fall.

Gail - I do Core because it makes me eat better. The WAPs and APs are more than enough for non-Core foods for me. I could never make Flex work because I'd make dumb choices and I also hated calculating and tracking those points. Even WW says people will not do Flex for life. It takes a little getting used to monitoring your body's satisfied signal but I really enjoy my food more when I pay attention to what I am eating. And I have days where I'm not very hungry and days when I could eat an elephant and Core lets me eat until satisfield.

Jean - My WW goal is the one in the book - and the highest one - because I don't want to have to pay. My doctor's goal is 15 pounds less so we'll see.

Faye - I love Acis Gel Walking Shoes. Very comfortable and supportive and light. I also like Dr. Scholl's for inexpensive and extremely comfortable. They have many pretty styles now. I have several pairs of Clark dress shoes that I also love. I have a bunion that makes it hard for me to find comfortable shoes that fit. Tell Jack he can have the $130 for the Blackberry but you are going to spend an additional $130 a month on something you like. I have Tracfone and I love it - have to put more on next month and I have nearly 700 now. Need to make some long distance calls and use them up. The phone I have now doubles whatever minutes I buy.

Another quilting bee tonight - more fun for me! I just order 2 new quilting DVDs at Amazon today.

Have a great evening!
Old 08-13-2008, 09:07 PM   #13  

Good Evening, Flowers! I went to Sioux City to see the specialist this morning and I had a 3rd root that didn't show up on the local dentist's x-ray. He redid the original 2 and then did the 3rd one. I was in and out in an hour. The bill was supposed to be $890 and he only charged me $620 -- what a deal! I'm not sure why except Bob said he told the receptionist it didn't turn out to be as involved as he thought. That is the same thing Bob had, and I'm hoping my dry, scaly, cracking skin on my thumbs will clear up like Bob's hives went away! We stopped at Sears and I bought a sewing machine that they didn't have in stock; I wanted one to hem slacks and my machine is so old that it was time for an upgrade. My house looks like a tornado went through and I need to pick up the clutter. Tomorrow is the first workshop day . . . "Love and Logic" from 8 to 4 . . . I can hardly wait!

"Gma" -- I'm not in the know about a Blackberry, but I do know some of the high school students have them. I do well to be able to get my voice messages off the cell phone. The last time I bought tennis shoes I bought a pair of New Balance, top of the line according to the salesman, walking shoes. I thought they were big and clumpy looking but they felt ok and I tried to walk in them. The side stitching rubbed my little toe to the point where I quit wearing them. I took them back to the store and a different salesman suggested I try another style in the same brand. These are wider in the toe area which I like, and lace high enough so they don't slip on my heel. I hate shoes that just don't feel right.

Susan -- We are in a storm warning tonight and the sky is looking pretty black towards the north. We could use a nice gentle rain -- no hail, and no wind though. I asked my doctor for a goal weight and he wrote it down at 160 -- I measured 5' 3 1/2" and think the WW goal is at least 10 -15 #s lower. A couple of years ago he told me he would be happy with 150, but I guess he forgot. I hope you enjoyed your evening out with your quilting friends.

I feel like I could get ready and head for bed but guess I'll do a load of laundry and pick up some of the clutter first. Have a terrific Thursday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 08-14-2008, 08:54 AM   #14  

Good morning to you ladies. It is a beautiful day out, but supposed to rain for the whole weekend into next week I guess. We shall see about that.

Susan: We have had tracfone for years now and I have had no complaint about them at all. It is just that Jack is a gadget guy and loves electronic phoo phoo. Me, I am happy if the phone will ring when I need it to! I agree that Flex is just that flexable and can be not the thing to use if you need real structure as most people do. It is a great program that you can lose weight on, but on the other side of the coin, people lose weight going on nutso diets too, so it is really more about behavior modification in my opinion and that is where most diets sorely sorely lack. I have big feet and no arch. My feet are totally flat and have been my whole life. I can wear a medium width fine, but sometimes the heels on shoes slip on my feet. I would just like to get a lightweight pair of walking shoes so I guess I am going to have to go out and look for them.

Jean: Hope you have fun with your new sewing machine. I haven't used a machine since Jr high home ec! lol Love and Logic, huh? That should prove to be interesting.

Nothing much going on here. Woke up with a sour tummy so I told Jack I was going to reschedule my appt this morning so I have to do that. Other than that, not much excitement here.

Have a good Thursday all!
Faye
Old 08-14-2008, 08:06 PM   #15  

Good Evening, Flowers! It's been a beautiful day in my corner of the world! The workshop day wasn't as bad as I expected. There were chairs set up in the gym and they opened the outside doors. Using HUGE fans in the commons area they sucked in the cool air from the outside. The speaker was good, but he stood on the floor with us instead of up on the platform so I couldn't see him from where I was sitting. My temporary filling came out so I made a panic call to the local dentist and happened to get in on a cancellation. One more thing to cross off my list. Tomorrow morning is another district meeting in the morning and work in the rooms in the afternoon. We'll see what that brings; I can't find my school keys and I know I probably put them somewhere stupid thinking I'd remember for sure.

"Gma" -- I won't get the new sewing machine until Sept. 3rd. I could have had it shipped to me, but would have had to pay shipping charges so decided to let it go to the store and pick it up there. I probably won't do any sewing anytime soon as I've put most of my "too long" slacks in the good will bag. I hope your stomach settled down and you are feeling better.

I need to keep moving. Have a fantastic Friday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!