Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-12-2008, 12:59 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default Crossfit?

Has anyone here heard of crossfit or followed it? I heard about it 6 months ago but I just recently got up the nerve to start following their workout of the day. I'm doing a modified version, but I've also been following the workout schedule in the Body Sculpting Bible. Both are getting more advanced, and I'm to the point where I don't want to risk overtraining (I also run just about every day.)

I would love to do crossfit exclusively for a few weeks and see how I like it, but I don't want to lose the progress I've seen from a structured lifting program. It's so scary! Any advice?
JoyfulVegGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:12 PM   #2  
Paleo Diet & CrossFit

S/C/G: 300/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulVegGirl View Post
Has anyone here heard of crossfit or followed it? I heard about it 6 months ago but I just recently got up the nerve to start following their workout of the day. I'm doing a modified version, but I've also been following the workout schedule in the Body Sculpting Bible. Both are getting more advanced, and I'm to the point where I don't want to risk overtraining (I also run just about every day.)

I would love to do crossfit exclusively for a few weeks and see how I like it, but I don't want to lose the progress I've seen from a structured lifting program. It's so scary! Any advice?
Yea, Crossfit! I did it for about 9 weeks and stopped for a non-CF reason, but LOVED it! From what I read it is *normal* for runners to have that fear, but why don't you ask over on the CF forum for some runners who have worked through that? I plan to re-start CF someday soon. It is the BEST bar-none! Most fun, far best results. I'd love to hear how it goes for you.
delitaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:48 PM   #3  

Crossfit is a blast! I was so excited to find it

Just to clarify, I would be keeping my running, but I'm doing the weight lifting program from Body Sculpting Bible for Women. When I started trying CrossFit I just kind of added it in, so I would do my workout from BSBFW and tack my crossfit workout onto the end, or in the middle somewhere where it made sense, or use it to substitute certain exercises, like if the workout of the day had 30 thrusters do those in place of squats in my routine, etc.

I'm just scared to drop the structured program where I've been making steady progress, but it's encouraging to hear you say you had great results from it!
Old 08-12-2008, 06:15 PM   #4  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Hi Jennifer, I love the CrossFit workouts too. Mostly I've just folded them into my current workouts much as you have described. Since we should alter our workouts every four to six weeks I look to these for ideas and motivation. I haven't found that I've lost or slowed my progress at all by adding these movements. If anything they have shown me some more interesting/challenging ways to workout.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5

Please enlighten me. What is Crossfit?? I have started weight training. I would love to do anything to quicken my progress while being FUN. Right know I am doing the turbo Jam weight lifting portion - I like it alot but would like variety at some point. Thanks!!
RoyalAthena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:44 PM   #6  
Paleo Diet & CrossFit

Ann, check out CrossFit.com as they are it. I used the scaled workouts from an affiliates site. The focus is changing up and intensity and FUN!! My Army soldier son got me into it.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:56 PM   #7  
Kallos Sthenos

Ann: Crossfit has some really amazing videos on Youtube as well. Here is one that explains the CrossFit concept in a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pqBNPNcR9c

Check Youtube for some of their exercise videos as well. Highly Motivating.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:02 PM   #8  

Not only are their videos highly motivating, they give me good ideas for new workout music

Well, after reading through their FAQ section I decided to just give it a couple of weeks and jump in. I'll let you know how it goes and if I see lots of improvement (or vice versa)!
Old 08-13-2008, 06:26 PM   #9  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Jennifer, remember too, that the WOD is not meant to be a stand-alone fitness program, but rather just a daily buttwhooping to enhance your performance at your chosen "sport"(s). I think it's also assumed that you're putting regular practice into learning the oly lifts, kettlebells, etc, especially if you aim to make crossfit your sport. (for example, you might not see a bench press in there for 9 months, but when it does turn up, it's 1RM...not optimal if you haven't done any practice at it for that amount of time). If I had time to fit everything in (and better recovery time), I'd do the WOD, too, but right now I've just got other priorities. The WOD is usually short and very intense, so when I have done it, I put it in place of my usual "cardio", while sticking to my regular lifting plan. Like you, though, I'd adjust my workouts accordingly, so I'm not reaching overkill on squats or ab work or whatever. I do use the warmup all the time. It makes me feel like I'm "all that", when my warm-up is tougher than most peoples' workouts, lol. Have fun with it, and do report on your results...assuming you survive! Go girl!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:59 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 165/132.5/125

Height: 5'4 3/4

i just did my first crossfit class and my body is sore in ways i never knew it could be. this si something that i could do to replace the bulk of my workouts. after an hour of crossfit class i began to feel that my gym workouts were crap. now, that could mean that i have to push myself more, or that crossift is just that good....i'm going for 50/50.....

i love the mentality behind crossfit and think that it works your body in more intense ways...i'd go for a class if you're thinking of mixing it into your routine. i think this is kind of like yoga/pilates where it's more beneficial when practiced in real time with an instructor and group because your form is so important and the others keep you in check [no easing up or quitting!]

i vote YES for crossfit!
BlueParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:46 PM   #11  

Thumbs up

I had the best workout the other day! It was the Workout of the Day on Monday, called Tabata Something Else. 32 intervals of 20 seconds each, followed by 10 seconds of rest.

8 intervals of assisted pull-ups, 8 of push-ups, 8 sit-ups, and 8 of body weight squats. I downloaded a song compilation with built-in timing chimes (with songs by Outkast, RATM, the Beastie Boys) so that I didn't have to mess with the clock. I also put an emphasis on form vs. reps.

I didn't ever think that I would associate the word "squat" with "fun", but it was a blast

So I've kept my standard 3 times a week lifting workouts and added in crossfit for now. I've worked out a schedule that gives me 2 rest days from lifting and one complete rest day from lifting and running. In the past 2 weeks I've lost 7 lbs and a couple of inches. I'm sure it's just from increasing my workouts, but I have definitely gained some strength as well. My 5 month plateau is officially broken. Very happy.

jamsk8r, that does make more sense. I think that was what scared me, that I'd lose all of the work I've done on basic lifts. I think gradually I'll gravitate more towards the crossfit workouts, but until I can do them without so many modifications I guess I'm stuck with bench presses

BlueParade, I'm moving to Portland in 2 weeks and they have an amazing crossfit gym with group classes. I can't wait!
Old 08-20-2008, 05:00 PM   #12  
Kallos Sthenos

Jennifer: Congrats on the loss. After you move and when you join the
Crossfit gym (because I'm sure you will) Tell us ALL ABOUT IT! I'll live vicariously through you for a while.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:09 PM   #13  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

They have a crossfit gym near me, but it's outta my monthly budget, plus they require you to sign a paper saying you'll eat exclusively whatever that diet is (the zone? can't remember) that the home site promotes. Let's see, $100/mo for me (except the first month is $250 to cover the extra training you get), $50 for my kid, plus special food...maybe if I sold the kid and got a second job, I could afford all that...
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 03:27 PM   #14  

Or put the kid to work

There is no way I'd switch to a zone/paleo diet. My diet is restricted enough as it is. I don't mind paying a little extra for the gym membership because it includes training, but they will pry my soy ice cream from my cold, dead hands.

I might see if they have month-to-month deals or if I can just do a month of training, because after years of moving around I'm now thinking of settling down and building my own home gym.

Most people get a dog. I get a pull-up bar.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:03 PM   #15  
Paleo Diet & CrossFit

Wow! I had lost track of this thread and had no idea there were so many successful CrossFitters on here! I'm still *back* on CrossFit, although I think I'm the only one at Buttercup scaling level on BrandX! LOL

I'm just now changing my diet to Paleo - as many CFers recommend. Not because they do, but because:

1) I can eat everything on it (I need to avoid wheat, sugar, dairy, artificial sweeteners, barley, rye, and probably gluten and soy.) so that is a great blessing right there!

2) I've had a real problem with getting enough calories on other plans and my body refuses to lose weight on too few.

3) They are getting improved performance over *carb-loading* athletes, which is another great thing for me because I'm a long distance hiker and didn't no a diet I could eat hiking that would give me enough energy. I just can't eat all the carbs most hikers eat, but I can't go low carb either (long story).

Anyway - great to see you all here. I have one CF gym near me that wan't me to do everything *their way* (they want to fix my life to fit their ideas! LOL) but happily a new one has opened and it is very flexibile and free-flowing. So sad to hear about the one that wants you to sign onto a diet. Hey, not everyone who owns a business is completely well, if you know what I mean. LOL

Great to see you all! I do have a CF blog as well, if you're interested.

Delita