Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:52 PM   #1  
start march 29 2008

S/C/G: 286/140/135

Height: 5'4''

Default Ethics-Kraft macaroni and cheese crackers

I am so mad. I saw a commercial for kraft macaroni and cheese crackers on TV the other day. When will these big companies start taking some responsibility for the impact they are having on children's diet vs trying to make an extra dollar when they are already making $$$$. As parents we definitely are responsible for what are children eat and thank goodness my children are fit and healthy and not overweight like I am, but I do control what they eat. But the influence of TV commercials, friends etc puts an incredible amount of pressure on parents to bring this junk into their house. As if kids need to be eating macaroni and cheese crackers as if they were grapes while they are sitting outside by the pool. Kraft should be ashamed of themselves- not only for the product but for the advertising.
lifechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:05 PM   #2  
In love with...THE GYM!!

S/C/G: 243/213/150

Height: 5'8"

Ya know, I never realized how many food commercials there were out there, and for such junk, before my current attempt at losing weight. It blows my mind really. I remember last weekend, wishing they'd ban all junk food commercials. I'm sick of TV setting off cravings (like Wendy's!). I am weak I suppose. Maybe I'll just shut off the TV for commercials.

My kids think those mac and cheese crackers look/sound disgusting lol
julie99s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

I agree. It would be nice to see companies producing commercials for fruits and vegetables..
S.A.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:00 PM   #4  
start march 29 2008

S/C/G: 286/140/135

Height: 5'4''

Or even portion controlled - instead of the kids eating out of the whole box of crackers- they sit at a kitchen table and have a sandwich plate with a few crackers and fruit.
Or they come up with healthier options and promote portion control.
They already have so many products that theycould promote in a healthy way for snacks- commercials with kids coming home from school and asking for a snack and being excited about a bowl of cereal with some fruit on top. This could increase their $$$.

Or what about kids asking for smaller portions instead of it seeming to be controlled by the parents. ie Mom, I'm going to grab 1 cookie with my apple.
I know I live in lala land, but we learn from what we observe. If we get 6 chicken fingers at a restaurant, we think we should eat 6, if we get 8 we expect we should always get 8.
lifechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:39 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

You might be interested to know that the province of Quebec banned all fast food advertising during children's prime TV programming hours.
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:51 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

I have to agree about the cheap advertising. What really makes me mad is the foods they try to pass off as "good" for you. Seriously things like Teddy Grahams have like 130 calories in a serving! A serving is like a handful! I also got sucked into buying things like canned spaghtti o's, ravioli, etc. because you mistakenly think it's "not that bad" well holy moly I looked at the can one day and REALLY read the stats, it says ONLY 250 cal then you look again that it's only for 1/2 can! I was giving my child 500 cal and 16 grams of fat in one sitting! That's not counting his milk and the butter bread he sometimes asks for! Bad thing is these foods are so carby he'd usually be hungry in about an 1 1/2-2 hrs and want something else!!!!

I realized really fast it was much better for me to make my own pasta and sauce with homemade turkey meatballs and he was getting a better meal that was more filling and better for him. It's a shame that they pass off as good for you and especially your kids and its NOT! I'd say read the labels on everything and watch those servings!
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:29 AM   #7  
carinna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas View Post
You might be interested to know that the province of Quebec banned all fast food advertising during children's prime TV programming hours.
Wow, that's fantastic! Good for them!
carinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:12 AM   #8  

books about dietes, i think, online consultation wheel be help!
lisa2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:11 AM   #9  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

OK, while I don't think this product will win any nutrition awards, and I DO agree that there is way too much junk food advertising directed at children,

I'm not seeing these crackers as a particularly evil food. In fact, in the scheme of things - they aren't that unhealthy. Not great, but...

150 calories, 7 grams fat, 3 grams protein, 18 grams carbohydrate, less than 5 milligrams cholesterol, less than 1 gram dietary fiber, 280 milligrams sodium.

Contrast that with:
Kashi Cheddar Crackers
130 cals, 4.5g fat, 3g protein, 20g carbohydrates, less than 1g fiber, 220 mg sodium.

I think that "snack" foods, and "fast" foods will be with us forever. I think we need to do what we can to help our kids make responsible choices. I know too many kids that weren't allowed "snack" foods when they were growing up - and the minute they could buy them, they did - and went way overboard.

Thus, I consider these ads as "teachable moments".

And - as far as "ethics" issues go, I am way more concerned with all the drug company ads on TV affecting my kids psyche than the food ads

OK, off my

Last edited by CountingDown; 10-11-2008 at 10:12 AM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:24 PM   #10  
:)

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountingDown View Post
OK, while I don't think this product will win any nutrition awards, and I DO agree that there is way too much junk food advertising directed at children,

I'm not seeing these crackers as a particularly evil food. In fact, in the scheme of things - they aren't that unhealthy. Not great, but...

150 calories, 7 grams fat, 3 grams protein, 18 grams carbohydrate, less than 5 milligrams cholesterol, less than 1 gram dietary fiber, 280 milligrams sodium.

Contrast that with:
Kashi Cheddar Crackers
130 cals, 4.5g fat, 3g protein, 20g carbohydrates, less than 1g fiber, 220 mg sodium.

I think that "snack" foods, and "fast" foods will be with us forever. I think we need to do what we can to help our kids make responsible choices. I know too many kids that weren't allowed "snack" foods when they were growing up - and the minute they could buy them, they did - and went way overboard.

Thus, I consider these ads as "teachable moments".

And - as far as "ethics" issues go, I am way more concerned with all the drug company ads on TV affecting my kids psyche than the food ads

OK, off my
oneupsteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:46 PM   #11  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Sheesh, I was a bit preachy that day, wasn't I?
Sorry all.
I get on a roll sometimes.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote