South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 01:02 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 183/130/115

Height: 5'0"

Default Considering SBD

I have lost about 60 lbs doing good old fashion calorie counting and exercising. The problem however is the last 10!!! I just can't seem to loose it. A friend of mine was telling me that she has maintained for years using SBD. She admits that she follows the plan loosely, and is not totally educated on the entire diet. (She doesn't even have the book.) I am wondering if this would be an effective diet for me to loose the last bit of weight. Also, do you think the book is a necissary buy? I am concerned that, if I do this and lose weight, if I start eating carbs again, will I just gain it back? My friend told me that even the maintainace phase is very low carb. I enjoy my cereal and milk in the mornings, but she says that after doing this diet, I won't even want it! Thanks for the help!
Old 08-13-2008, 01:42 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

I HIGHLY recommend buying and reading the book. The book goes into detail about how your body processes food and how to judge good better and best types of foods to eat. I think that everyone who eats should be required to read it, it's a user friendly guide of how to eat healthy, when there are mixed signals everywhere. I found out through reading this book that alot of my favorite "healthy" foods just increased my cravings.

The diet is not necessarily low carb, it's just low refined carbs. It's a very doable plan to live the rest your life eating that way.

I never thought I'd be able to give up as many carbs as I have, I would always eat carbs for breakfast but now I'm fine eating eggs.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:43 AM   #3  
Recovering Sugar Addict

S/C/G: 160/158/145

Height: 5'6"

Hi RNmomof5! I started SBD about a week ago (ok 6 days) and my weightloss goals are close to yours, I'd like to lose 15lbs at this point.

Here's the thing though, like you I loved morning cereal and white carbs were my downfall... I was a sugar holic and by that I mean everything white or processed. I started SBD to kick the cravings and am amazed at how much different I feel today than I did a week ago (even though I stopped eating refined carbs three weeks ago but was still eating whole wheat and complex carbs).
But I am planning to eat this way forever. Add in complex carbs slowly but never back to the amount I was eating. I think it will help me maintain when I get there, I'm in no rush. I know it will happen now that the cravings are going away. I think whether or not this is the diet for you is based on whether or not you think you can eat SBD style... so many more veggies than I've ever eaten before but I'm doing it and it feels...easy. Veggies have never been easy for me before.

Anyway, best of luck to you. Search google for the book and you will be able to read the first 60ish pages online for free as an intro before you buy.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:22 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Hi, RNMomof5! The SouthBeach Diet is not a low carb diet, it is a good carb diet. You are allowed plenty of whole grains, and there are a lot cereals that meet that requirement. It is very important to read the book before starting this lifestyle plan so you can understand the fundamentals and learn exactly how this plan works and why you should avoid eating certain foods. Most libraries carry the book if you don't want to buy it, and you can pick up a used version very cheaply.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:46 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Yep, we all think the diet is awesome!!

I was the same weight (144) for....maybe 8 years. Before and after children. Never, ever, thought I'd EVER get near my undergrad weight. And now, I'm one lb away!?!? I eat far healthier than I ever have, which is a great thing for my children to see. I feel better than I ever have too.

And yes, like everyone else said, definately need to read the book. Quite honestly, you'll learn more through this forum than the book (IMHO), and get awesome support, great recipes, and lotsa motivation.

I can't believe I haven't had sugar based product in over 3 mos.... (I have the sugar tooth in the family)

Great diet, great lifestyle.

Good luck!!
Old 08-13-2008, 08:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

It's a great plan, but
Read the book,
Don't go into it thinking it is a "diet" that you will do for a while, and then go back to "normal", or you will probably not keep the weight off. Look at it as a way of learning healthy eating for lifetime.
Get your friend to read the book too. If she is doing low carb, she is not doing SB.
You can still have your cereal, but if you want to get rid of cravings for sweets and refined starches, this is a great plan.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:15 AM   #7  

Thanks so much for the respones! I am going on vacation with my family in 10 days. I think I will get the book, because I should have plenty of time to read it while we are at the beach. I have made total lifestyle changes over the past 1 1/2 years, regarding the food I eat, but I really think I need something different at this point. I guess I will start when I get back from vacation, because with 5 kids at the beach, we tend to eat a lot of sandwichs and pretzles!
Old 08-13-2008, 01:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

I started right after my last vacation, and it worked out great. I was tired of junk food, fast food, and really bad food!!
Old 08-13-2008, 02:13 PM   #9  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

The only thing that I would add to what has already been said here is that it really depends on your lifestyle coming into this food plan.

If you are a person who eats relatively healthy and has most meals eaten at home or you have prepared yourself, this will be an easy transition to make.

If you are a person who has been picking up hot dogs at convenience stores along with a bag of chips and soda, going through drive-through and ordering pizza, then you might have a tougher time.

This is the way most of our great grandparents ate. Whole foods, mainly or minimally unprocessed with all of the nutrients still intake.

Everything old is new again!!
Old 08-13-2008, 05:14 PM   #10  

Quote:
If you are a person who eats relatively healthy and has most meals eaten at home or you have prepared yourself, this will be an easy transition to make.

If you are a person who has been picking up hot dogs at convenience stores along with a bag of chips and soda, going through drive-through and ordering pizza, then you might have a tougher time.
I used to be the pizza, hot dog, bag of chips kind of person. Since I've made the decision to lose weight and be healthier,(19 months now) I almost ALWAYS prepare meals at home. I eat a lot of salads, and eat whole wheat bread, pasta, and brown rice. I eat all fat free dairy products and I work out on a regular basis. I do however, have this diet coke addiction (which I am working on). I lost a ton of weight with these changes alone, but for some reason, I just can't seem to conquer those last 10! I have been between 123 and 128 since May! I think that if I tried a different approach to my diet, rather than calorie counting only, it may help. Who knows, maybe I could loose even more than 10 lbs. That would be great!!! I am pretty excited about this plan. I actually went to Wal Mart today and bought the book! I still think I won't start until after vacation though.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:33 PM   #11  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

do NOT expect to lose a lot in phase 1. you are close to goal already eating healthy. you might not lose anything.
Closed Thread