Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-11-2008, 09:41 AM   #1  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

Default What Exercise do you feel has benefited you most on your journey?

I am just curious to know if any particular exercise has benefited your body most. For instance do you see a change from a particular exercise if any. Did you see results from a particular exercise that made you say WOW!

As of right now I cant really answer this question only because I am still in the beginning of my journey but its seems like I may be leaning toward jogging but we will see.
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:46 AM   #2  
Here I go again

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6

For me power walking and jogging on the treadmill has benefited me the most. I have recently taken on the elliptical too. They both keep me moving, keeps my heart rate up. I go 3-4 times a week for about an hour.
BoopRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:39 AM   #3  
FB

For weight loss it's got to be cycling. For body changes it's definitely weight lifting. I couldn't pick one over the other as I feel they're equally important and benefit my body greatly.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 213/127/154

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

I found different exercises benefited me at different times in my progression. At first it was swimming and water exercise, since I was a good swimmer and was very out of shape, and it was something I could do relatively easily. This got me in better overall cardiovascular shape and started to build my endurance.

Later I did a good bit of work on the elliptical. Built up my leg strength and endurance even more. I also did some work on the treadmill but I'm not that fond of it - my balance is not the greatest and I feel a bit shaky on it.

I then started taking classes at my fitness center and added some cardio such as kickboxing and step. More overall endurance and strength as well as improving my balance and coordination.

Then weights classes (we use hand weights and also do leg work such as lunges, squats, etc.) Toning, of course. Built more strength in my arms and core and back.

Now I also run. It's given me another boost in cardio fitness, endurance, and overall body strength.

I now run, swim, do the cardio and weight classes, and will fill in with cardio machines if needed (if I can't be outside or need some cardio). I am in the maintenance stage with my weight and feel I need a well rounded program to keep me where I need to be. The progression of exercise activities was important to me as it helped me lose weight and get in better shape all around pretty gradually, and I did not get bored with doing the same thing all the time.
Pink Geranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:55 PM   #5  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Strength training gave me a big wow. Also - running gave me a big wow.

I did experience body changes will all kinds of exercise, like biking, pilates, various DVDs, but those 2 at the top were the biggest.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Strength training was definitely the "wow"-er for me in the past. This time around I'm doing yoga, and it is definitely building muscle and strength too, so it's sorta the same answer, different path. I really enjoyed weight lifting when I did it, but I'm really enjoying yoga now .
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:03 PM   #7  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Running has definitely had the biggest impact.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:31 PM   #8  
No description available.

Running and strength training. I would not be where I am without either one.

Running kicked off my weight loss. Strength training has really changed how I look. And feel. And eat.

So, both. And cycling is proving to be way cool too. And I think there is something to be said with balancing distance type cardio and HIIT cardio.

So I guess I can't really answer your question.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:33 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Strength training, particularly varying my exercises considerably to add in different kinds of apparatus (free weights, resistance bands, bosus, kettlebells, etc).
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:27 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi Matilda, I'm pretty new here and to this whole thing, so I can't really answer here. But... I had to say...

What a great question and set of answers!

I LOVE this place!
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:05 PM   #11  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

#1 for me is strength training. I do it three times a week with a personal trainer and I consider it to be the single most important factor in my success. The strength training itself has changed my body in ways I never thought possible. I look toned, athletic, and healthy; without it I'd just look skinny. But my sessions with my trainer also gave me the confidence and the motivation to do the rest of what was necessary to lose weight (diet and cardio).

A very close #2 is HIIT on the TM. I notice a marked difference in my ability to maintain and to lose when I'm able to do HIIT (I experienced a knee injury last year and couldn't do any running at all for several months; it was definitely easier to lose once I was able to add HIIT back into my exercise routine).
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:55 AM   #12  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

I'm a really big fan of exercise variety. I think it's very important to balance cardio, strength training, core training, flexibility and balance work -- it's all important to overall health and function.

That said, if I had to pick one exercise mode that has done the most for me, I'd have to say running. Not just because of the cardio workout itself (although it's great!), it's because of the running-related goals that I set and the training required to reach them. I'm not just running, I'm "training", and that changes my attitude about the exercise, how I eat, everything.

I've completed events that once seemed impossible, made some great running buddies, and become part of a larger running community. That keeps me engaged and coming back for more, setting bigger goals, and training harder. I was never sporty as a youngster, but in my 40's I've become an "athlete" with medals on my wall and I've heard the crowds cheer for me as I've crossed finish lines! (And no, I'm not winning, I'm just finishing -- but that's what counts!!) It's opened up a whole new world. So, for me, the sport of running has had a profound impact because it has helped to change the way I view myself.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:56 PM   #13  

S/C/G: size 26/size 16/size 12

Height: 5'9"

In the past my exercises of choice were Callanetics for sheer inch loss, yoga for strength, and I lived in a city that made it easy to ride a bicycle everywhere. I still do Callanetics, but don't have room in my dwelling to do yoga. I have just taken up HIIT and I love it. Too early to say how it's going to affect my inch loss, but I am hopeful. I also want to try Tabata.
150reasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:30 PM   #14  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

HIIT on the TM, The c25k on the TM and strength training.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:30 AM   #15  
Jennifer

S/C/G: 378/372.9/230

Height: 5'8"

I'm still new at the my journey to weight loss success. I've been walking during my breaks at work, and doing aerobic exercises that they have ON DEMAND with Comcast after work 3 times a week. Walking has proven to give me a TREMENDOUS amount of energy. Already I'm too the point that I want to run. I'm no where near the physical condition that I would be able to run yet though, as I have Degenerative Disc Disease in my back, and can't put too much stress on it.

Those 2 so far are making me FEEL better, its still too soon to notice body changes. But this is a great thing to do since I can't afford a gym.
JLNorman2487 is offline   Reply With Quote