Old 08-07-2008, 05:17 PM   #1  
Work in Progress

S/C/G: 186/working on it/148

Height: 5'5"

Default How did I get to be 50?

I am still shaking my head in wonder how did this young feeling woman turn 50? But then I step back, put my glasses on and look in the mirror and shake my head and go oh my oh my. Why are my eyelids drooping? who painted he wrinkles on my neck? Are those laugh lines?
Then I step back further and go when did I get so round? What happened to my waist?

Soo here I am, ready to admit I have put on some pounds and want to see them gone and become a more youthful, and healthy adult. I would love a buddy (or two, three, four or more) to help me watch my food, motivate me to exercise.

I love any new low cal recipes, alternative ways to exercise other than walking (which I have limited time to do) that can be done in my home without expensive equipment (I have owned those torture machines only to see them sold at garage sales)

I have signed up for the biggest loser challenge but that does not start until Sept and I would like to get a jump on it, at least get in a routine so I will not be a hinderance to the team.
nancylmrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:18 PM   #2  

Height: 5'1"

HI nancy, When I want to look better I take my glasses off!! I had to laugh at your reference to glasses.

Welcome! Come on in and join us, we love new idea's.
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:14 PM   #3  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by the slim me View Post
HI nancy, When I want to look better I take my glasses off!! I had to laugh at your reference to glasses.
Oh I laughed too, because I do the same exact thing... actually I put on and take off my glasses a lot these days, guess its time for the bi-focals...

Welcome Nancy, I'm 49 and a half, and I know what you mean...It seems to happen all of a sudden. I think when you get going on program you'll start feeling a little better.. good luck
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:22 PM   #4  

Height: 5' 8"

Hi Nancy yeppers, I'm rapidly swooping in on 52 and have to double check my birth date on my drivers license every once in a while (with my reading glasses on of course ) because, from the inside looking out, I could swear it should be 32. Not to worry, lots of us here in the 50+ group to be your buddies. Check out a couple of the regular threads (I hang out in Golden Girls quite a bit) and find one that looks like the regular posters share your interests (and/or challenges). Don't be afraid to ask questions - I've made a lifetime career of dieting and thought I knew all about it - NOT - I've learned all kinds of new stuff from the folks here at 3FC and it seems to be working
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:33 PM   #5  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Comes a time when taking off the glasses no longer works -- I'm 65 and had cataract surgery last year so I now only need my glasses for reading -- so now I put them on and tilt my head back that blurs the image and helps the neck crepe disappear a little too . . .

Chickie -- we are all definitely in this together --
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:37 AM   #6  
Work in Progress

I was just reading all your posts and really stated to laugh. I had not realized that so many of us when we reached this wonderful stage in our lives had to rely on those awful tell tale signs by wearing glasses.

I think I am going ot opt not to wear mine when looking in the mirror but then if I don't how can I pluck those nasty little chin hairs...
Old 08-08-2008, 10:38 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Oh! I wish I was 50 again and know what I know now!
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:41 AM   #8  

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
so now I put them on and tilt my head back that blurs the image and helps the neck crepe disappear a little too . . .

Chickie -- we are all definitely in this together --

Oooooh, great idea Linda! Gonna hafta try that
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:15 PM   #9  
Onward and Downward

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancylmrn View Post
I think I am going ot opt not to wear mine when looking in the mirror but then if I don't how can I pluck those nasty little chin hairs...
I just invested in one of those 5x magnification mirrors for that little task.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #10  

Height: 5ft 2in

Welcome Nancy! I don't feel 50 either! I am a student nurse (nearly qualified) am trying to learn to play the cello and am taking up jogging - VERY slowly! I feel daft for taking on all these new challenges at my age - but it doesn't feel like my age!
pufffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:18 PM   #11  
Work in Progress

Well I have to say another week down and I am still laughing, they say that is the best thing for you....laugh laugh and more laughing.

And laughing I hope will pay off since I just found out I am the emergency fill in for a friends wedding on Saturday--you should have seen me scrambling this weekend trying to find an appropriate dress in lavender and white. Well I found one but it sure is not the most flattering on my figure. Wonder if a girdle will help???

I was trying to figure out how to put my weight loss tracker up and I am sure I do it on my control panel but I can't figure it out. Anyone want to share?
Old 08-11-2008, 05:07 PM   #12  

Height: 5'1"

Hi Nancy, as far as the weight tracker, I think it takes awhile to be able to doit. Not sure but I know Linda or some of the others will let you know, but I think it takes 30 days or 30 posts, something like that.

As far as the girdle goes...way too constricting! BUT, have you heard of Spanks? Oprah talked about them on her show and they are wonderful. I tried some of the other brands but they left ridges. Not what I wanted to show!! They are a little pricey but worth it.
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:14 PM   #13  
Onward and Downward

Indeed they definitely say that laughter is great medicine and great for weight loss too . . .

The weight tracker is part of your signature area within the User CP so you are on the right track to a tracker -- now, all you have to do is last out the 20 days of membership and 20 posts waiting period that is imposed to dissuade spammers and everything will then become clear.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:18 PM   #14  
SusieQ

S/C/G: 267/240/130

Height: 5"4

Hello everyone!

This is my first post. I am 55 and a grandmother - but I still feel like I am 30 - but much wiser, I hope. It really sucks that by the time you start to really figure it all out, you are too old to really enjoy it. I am determined to live my life like a clued in 30 year old. Too bad the rest of the world doesn't see me the way I see me. I am hoping my dieting journey helps to that end. Do you ever notice that overweight, middle aged women are pretty much ignored? So let's stand up and get noticed!

My two cents...
crazydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:39 PM   #15  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey crazydog!

Here in over-50s, we don't believe in being too old to enjoy it! And yes, losing weight does help--a lot!

C'mon in! Hang out! Glad to have you here.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote