Old 08-11-2008, 08:56 AM   #1  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Default This Week's Healthiest Food - GRAPES

http://whfoods.org/

Grapes
This week we celebrate the crunchy texture and sweet flavor of grapes. A pop-in-your-mouth snack, grapes will satisfy almost any sweet tooth, so enjoy them now when they are in the peak of their season. Grab a bunch for a refreshing afternoon snack, let grapes add color and flavor to your favorite summer salad, or freeze them for sherbet-like mouthfuls, a perfect dessert for your Healthiest Way of Eating.

Nutritional Value
Grapes are an excellent source of manganese. Grapes have also been found to provide important health-promoting phytonutrients, including quercitin and resveratrol.

Oh, I love grapes. Love em'!!! I usually prefer red, but when the green ones are at their best, they are fabulous. I like them straight and frozen. Such a great treat.

Grapes have saved my "diet" many a time at a social event. Luckily, they're often around, right next to or near all the cakes and stuff.

Though at a about 4 calories a piece, I have definitely over done it, from time to time. But certainly I'd rather overdo it on grapes then Oreos.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:23 AM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

My husband and I are obsessed with frozen grapes. They definitely stop us from binge eating other things and we always try to have some in the freezer. I'm glad we're not the only ones who appreciate grapes!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:37 AM   #3  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I too love grapes! They are a lifesaver when I want something sweet.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:25 AM   #4  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

Grapes are GREAT!
Seedless green ones!
I know tis having loadsa sugar, but they help me loads, Im a snacker, I eat/pick at stuff and when I have a couple of bunches of those around I eat them and dont ruin my good intentions :P
angeleyezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:28 AM   #5  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

Love the juciy pop in your mouth feeling or the melt in your mouth frozen ones. Not fond of sour grapes. And the occasional glass of fermented grape juice is good too!
JuliaDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:11 PM   #6  
In love with...THE GYM!!

S/C/G: 243/213/150

Height: 5'8"

Red ones are my favorite. Yummm! I love grapes.
Gonna have to try them frozen though.
julie99s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:15 PM   #7  

I loveeee grapes!
WantToLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:24 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I like grapes quite a bit but really very rarely eat them. I like other fruits a lot more.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:52 AM   #9  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Robin, it is so amusing to me that you worry about overdoing it on grapes. I know, I know, everything in moderation, but we've all heard that quote from Oprah about no one getting fat eating carrots. I gotta believe the same thing is true for pretty much all veggies and fruit. I think you'd have to eat a lot of grapes before they really did much damage. Much better to overdo it on grapes than Oreos.

I like grapes but they're not really anything special to me. My farmers' market does sell some that are really good (for the most part I find grocery store grapes to be too tart for my taste), but I'd still rather eat stone fruit, berries, or bananas. I do like them broiled, spooned over sweetened yogurt, and dusted with a little cinnamon. The broiling brings out the sweetness even more.

And just last week, this recipe for Curried Chicken Salad with Spiced Chickpeas and Raita (and also featuring red grapes), showed up in my epicurious.com Recipe Flash. I'm a sucker for savory foods combined with fruits, so we're definitely having this in the near future (while I can still get grapes at the farmers' market).
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:28 AM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
Robin, it is so amusing to me that you worry about overdoing it on grapes. I know, I know, everything in moderation, but we've all heard that quote from Oprah about no one getting fat eating carrots. I gotta believe the same thing is true for pretty much all veggies and fruit. I think you'd have to eat a lot of grapes before they really did much damage. Much better to overdo it on grapes than Oreos.

).
Oh Barbara, you don't know me very well then. Seriously, there are times when over the course of the day I can eat an entire large bunch of them. Of course, like I said, I'd would certainly overdo it on grapes then oreos and plenty of other things. But truth be told, I can definitely overspend my calorie budget by eating grapes.

As far as Oprah's statement, I think you CAN get fat (or at least not lose weight) overeating FRUIT. Veggies are another story. I can't recall anyone getting fat eating - let's say - mushrooms. Yeah, mushrooms (raw) are safe.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:54 PM   #11  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Red ones...theyre so yummy!
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:11 AM   #12  

My favorite are seedless green!
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:06 PM   #13  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155