Old 08-11-2008, 12:12 PM   #1  

Default Has anyone ever considered Lipo?

Last edited by lovespink; 01-18-2009 at 02:08 PM.
lovespink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:21 PM   #2  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I'm thinking that 1200 calories for a person that weighs 245 isn't much esp with the exercising that you are doing along with it. When you don't eat enough to sustain your body it'll go into starvation mode....then you won't lose any kind of weight.

And no I haven't considered lipo....I think the only procedures I'll consider is removing extra skin if I happen to have it after I reach goal

Welcome to 3FC! My suggestion is research! This whole board has been a great help to me

Last edited by TJFitnessDiva; 08-11-2008 at 12:24 PM.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:30 PM   #3  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

Yeah but that is probably the adjustment period since the stomach will be really sensitive post-op....I think they have to start with clear liquids for one day then go to a pureed diet for about two weeks & that would probably be where the 400 cals a day came from. I've never had it done but I've read up on it. It doesn't mean a regular person overweight or not can do it though....I would think it would be almost like a fad diet and not something you can continue with long term, kwim? It doesn't sound very safe either.

Last edited by TJFitnessDiva; 08-11-2008 at 12:31 PM.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:35 PM   #4  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I also agree that 1200 calories is too low for someone at your weight. If the doc thinks you have PCOS, then a moderate or lower carb diet might help you out.

You might want to check out the Dieting With Obstacles section. There are others with PCOS and they can give you some tips.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

WLS patients also face reduced metabolism - they lose weight, but not because their metabolism isn't reduced. You just can't reduce a metabolism to zero. If you eat next to nothing, you will eventually starve to death/lose weight.

More than half (by most statistics) of wls patients, even gastric bypass patients (where they remove part of your stomach and a good part of your intestine so that less food is absorbed) eventually regain all of their weight or more. If metabolism weren't affected, this shouldn't be possible unless the person is eating TONS more than they ever did before, because with half of your intestine missing, you "should" be able to maintain at least a loss of some weight if you returned to eating exactly as as much as you did at your highest weight. But this isn't what happens.

I don't know much about the risks or long term success rates of large volume lipo. Would I consider it? Well, probably not because I'm sure that insurance doesn't cover it, so it isn't really an option. If cost weren't an issue? It would depend on those risks and success statistics. So, my advice would be to do the research. Find out the costs, the risks, and talk to people who have done it.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:11 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I am guessing that it's two things: Not enough calories, and not enough protein. You are exercising a lot, and probably starving inside. Your body is probably burning more than just fat--you could be losing muscle at the same time you're trying to get more fit.

You must eat enough protein to support muscle rebuilding, or you'll just wear yourself down.

How are you tracking your calories and nutrients? Some of the online programs are really helpful, like FitDay, TheDailyPlate, etc. They can help you set a reasonable calorie goal. Just worry about the eating part--ignore the exercise/calories burned part for now--that part can be misleading.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

If I win the lottery, I am so getting lipo on my left top outer thigh to make it the same size as my right top outer thigh. Stupid thing bigger than the other!

Lovespink - I totally understand the "get this weight off RIGHT now, eat as little as possible, faster faster" mentality but from my own experience, it ended in dismal failure every time. I always did lose some weight (and therefore thought I was right, it was working and anyone that told me to stop was just WRONG) but I always gained the weight back. Every time.

I ended up finally losing weight and keeping it off with a very gentle, sustainable, what's best for my long term health approach. It took me 20 years to get to that point, but I wish I had done it much earlier.

Good luck!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:40 PM   #8  
start march 29 2008

S/C/G: 286/140/135

Height: 5'4''

I don't know alot about lipo- but I had certainly heard that high volume liposuction can be dangerous and I have never heard of it being used as a weightloss technique. I have a hard time believing that liposuction can take you down 98lbs- I hope this surgeon isn't just after your $. I probably shouldn't be responding to this post since I don't know enough about it but really look into it, i wouldn't want you to get scammed. Try www.obestyhelp.com- info on weightloss surgery and plastic surgery.
lifechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:40 PM   #9  
start march 29 2008

Sorry, misspelled it www.obesityhelp.com
Old 08-12-2008, 08:36 PM   #10  

Height: 5'5"

I have always been under the impression that you can't be very overweight to get lipo, I doubt seriously they would do it to anybody at our weight.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:15 PM   #11  

There are more doctors doing large volume lipo. I was just watching a show where a 15 (I think) year-old was going to have over 50 lbs removed in one session, and she was meeting with another girl who had it done (also a teen).

The safety concerns, especially for teens, do have to be taken very seriously.

Like many drastic measures, I don't see it as the "easy" way, because the risks, pain, and money involved are very significant. And it's just the beginning, not the end - because you have to find a way to keep the weight off. Very few people have the unlimited resources to just hop in and get the extra sucked out (and I don't think the procedure, even for small amounts, is so risk-free that it would be a good idea even if a person did).
Old 08-12-2008, 10:13 PM   #12  

Height: 5'5"

Whoa, are you kidding me? How does the skin go back in a person who is not 15 I wonder
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:26 PM   #13  
start march 29 2008

I just can't imagine your body not going into shock- you are taking such a large volume of water out of your body at the same time. Maybe they have changed the technique since i watched a video of the procedure years ago. I will never forget how violent the procedure seemed- they literally bang the vacuum around inside your skin to loosen up the fat before they suck it out. No wonder it is so painful.
Frankly I think it is unconscionable and just another way for plastic surgeons to make $$$$. Liposuction for high weight does not teach a teenager how to eat properly. At least WLS, they have to learn immediately to eat smaller portions, they react to certain kinds of foods- almost negative behavior modification. I try hard not to be too opinionated on this board, but in this case I will be. It is the easy way out- a few days of pain seems like an easy way out- but if you don't change your behavior -boom the weight will come back. You may have less fat cells but the ones you have left have no problem expanding. Sorry if I have offended anyone- but I am referring to lipo for large weight loss- not for those people who have settled to stay at 200 and want some lipo to tone up a bit.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:42 PM   #14  
start march 29 2008

I feel badly about my response- Sorry. I think I reacted so strongly because to me it seems unhealthy. You aren't losing any fat from around the organs where it is really unhealthy - regular dieting, WLS are all methods where you will lose fat from around your organs as well as the more superficial fat. It bothers me that a medical professional would be encouraging a superficial approach for a condition that clearly has longterm health implications.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:55 PM   #15  

I think like any of the weight loss tools, even wls, it is a tool that can be abused and misused. I wouldn't assume that in every case it's an irresponsible choice, even for a teen, but a LOT of thought would have to go into the decision, and I hope in these cases alot has.

The 19 year old they showed who had done it, had kept the weight off for 3 years ( think, and was alluding to the changes she had to make.

Just as wls, I know it's not for me, but this whole journey is so amazingly difficult, I'm not going to judge anyone using any tool at their disposal - as long as they've thoroughly thought it through (which I will never know, I can only hope).

Last edited by kaplods; 08-12-2008 at 10:55 PM.