Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 08:55 AM   #1  
No description available.

Default Cycling Chicks----August 2008

Is it really August already? I can't even believe it!

This thread is for novice and experienced cyclists and everyone in between. We had some bike purchasing questions posted in our July thread, so if there are any brilliant cyclists out there with feedback, please check it out! We'd love your advice.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:00 AM   #2  

Well, yesterday as part of my midsummers night 5K challenge, I went on a real bike ride! DH and I rode along a bike path by the river---19+ miles roundtrip altogether. My goal was to ride to the zoo and see the elephants from the trail. Whew! That was a long way for my first ride.

THe first half of the ride, I was pretty sure I was toast. I wished I had a huge sign that said "I don't have a clue" so that everyone would just get the heck out of my way. I was so scared I was going to hurt someone. I told DH, "My crotch hurts, my hands are tired, and I have sand in my eyes." He said, "Welcome to cycling." He adjusted my seat so that helped my crotch issues a bit.

On the way back, my confidence was quite high and I enjoyed it a lot more. I did see the elephants. I mentioned in another thread that just about when we got back to the parking lot where we started, we saw some camels in a yard. If I would have known I could cycle two miles to see camels, I might not have cycled 19 to see elephants.

Eh--I would have anyway!

I am super proud of my bike ride yesterday.

Have a great day all!

Last edited by midwife; 08-04-2008 at 09:02 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-04-2008, 09:28 AM   #3  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Yow, that's quite the saddle (and butt!) break-in ride! Are you at least wearing cycling shorts -- I highly recommend them, the chamois pad will help make sure your butt survives with only minimal numbness and chafing. Also gloves will help with the hand-soreness.

My dh and I rode both on Saturday and Sunday, about a 25-miler each time. The ride on Saturday took us over the local causeway bridges -- it is always fun to come flying down the bridges at close to 30 mph just hoping we won't wipe out and die! Talk about adrenaline rush. But the view (and the breeze) makes it worth it!

I think riding to see elephants is awesome motivation! Hmmmmm, I need to see how far a ride our zoo is from our house and if there are any routes! I'd love to see the giraffes!

By the way, I recently replaced the trek saddle (which I found pretty darn hard on my butt for rides over 20 miles) with a Serfas RX-922L Women's saddle. So far I'm impressed with it's comfort!
Old 08-05-2008, 09:09 AM   #4  

Cycling shorts? What are those? No, I really did just wear my running shorts. And my saddle is a man's saddle, so I was not very bright about either of those.

Thanks for the tip on the Serfas saddle. I'll check it out. I just got my membership card for my local women's bike group and I get discounts at some of the local bike shops. So I'm gonna go get some padded cycling shorts at least!

Last edited by midwife; 08-05-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:59 AM   #5  
Michelle the Vegan

Oh rush right out and get some cycling shorts, you won't believe the difference they make!!! Terry has some of my favorite stuff:

http://www.terrybicycles.com/product...3ee1&c=Apparel

Notice that you don't have to wear the "tight black spandex" look if you don't like that. They have "baggy shorts" with the cycling chamois built-in with a liner. They also have cycling skorts, which are too cool for school and are on my xmas list!

Sign up to receive the catalog -- while I rarely buy, I LOVE looking at the catalog.

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 08-05-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:17 PM   #6  
Michelle the Vegan

I biked early this morning and was on top of the causeway bridge to see the sun come up over the beach. It was really pretty! Worth getting out early for.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:31 PM   #7  

Bought a bike today and went on my first ride! I forgot how much I loved cycling in high school. It was great and it's so much gentler on my joints than even walking. My only real concern is that maybe it's not burning as many calories as my walks were. I tried to go for the same amount of time but I was pretty worn out about 3/4s of the way through and slowed way down. It was fun though and it's not all about burning calories, it's about learning to lead a healthy lifestyle, so I guess it's all good.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:55 PM   #8  

Nice job on the rides, ladies!

Josephine, I love watching the sun come up. There is something very awesome and cool knowing that I am witnessing this gorgeous event rather than hitting the snooze button.

Cdiem, I am convinced that cycling uses its own set of muscles, so I am not surprised you felt worn out. That is good!! I'm sure you burned some calories.

I am cycling again Saturday morning. Must buy bike shorts before then. Thanks for the link, Josephine. (PS Would it bug you if I called you Jo? Easier to type---especially after an hr of upper body weights).
Old 08-07-2008, 08:17 AM   #9  
Michelle the Vegan

Midwife -- "Jo" is perfect. Or even just J. An hour of upper body weights would leave me a trembling puddle on the floor. Yow.

Cdiem -- Congrats on your new bike! What kind did you get? Cycling uses your muscles differently than walking or running, you will build up bike endurance the more you ride. It is excellent cross-training with walking and as you said, it's FUN, too!

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 08-07-2008 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:11 PM   #10  

I got a Raleigh detour 4.5. I made it 16.5 miles today total! I couldn't believe how far I went. It's soooo much fun! I tried country roads yesterday, but the gravel and the general lack of smooth pavement made it hard. Today is was cool out and I hit the real roads and it was much better. I was a little leery of the traffic, but everyone was considerate so it wasn't at all scary.

Holy moly, I am still kind of rushing from the ride and how far I went. It was such a blast I can hardly wait to get out again tomorrow. 'Town' is about 10 miles away. I always thought it was to far to ride, but now I'm thinking differently.

And! My car broke down today. So the only way for me to get out and play Saturday is to bike. What timing! Not that I'm happy about my car, but it'll all work out and it's getting me more daring about my cycling than I would have been otherwise.

I need to get those cycling shorts I think. It's not my butt so much as my inner thighs, I guess? They are sore, sore, sore!
Old 08-08-2008, 01:17 AM   #11  
=D

Hey there fellow cycling chicks!
I'm new here, but have been biking for quite a while now. Mainly mountain biking, but I've also ben getting in to BMX a lot lately - which is a ton of fun.

Yesterday I went for a 20 kilometer bike ride around sydney - all along my favourite bays and also in the city.

Out of curiosity, how often do you gals all ride?
Old 08-08-2008, 07:59 AM   #12  

Yesterday, the day before that and twenty years ago almost every day.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:43 AM   #13  

Hi Jo, Yes, I could barely type the other night. Ain't weightlifting fun?

Cdiem, Nice job on your bike ride! We are at about the same place. I rode when I was a kid, and then crashed, and was severely phobic for over 20 years. I never would have imagined I would ever get on a bike again. And then in June, I did!

Welcome, Mazza! I am drooling with envy that you rode around Sydney yesterday. Ah, how exotic other peoples' lives sound! I have a mountain bike that I love very much. I suppose someday I will get a rode bike, but right now, my mountain bike is it! My goal is to ride once a week. I lift weights 3 times a week and I run 5 times a week, so I am very pressed for time to bike ride. I am going tomorrow morning though and I am excited.

I bought some bike shorts! They are mountain bike shorts and they have removable padded underwear that crack me up! But I can take out the padded underwear and then they are regular shorts. They are Adidas and they have zipper pockets. No spandex though. I tried on about 12 pairs of shorts and I was actually happy with how the spandex-looking road cycling shorts looked, but I really wanted pockets. Bike clothing is cool. It is so form fitting that it zaps away any problem areas.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:33 AM   #14  
=D

Hey, Midwife - a pair of cycling shorts sounds good! Definetely something I'm looking into.
I wish Sydney was as exotic as it sounds! It has its beautiful parts, but the central business district is just a lot of pollution and way too many cars...

Have you gals been following the Olympic cycling at all? I'm watching the women's road race right now - those ladies look like they are made of steel and have the muscular endurance to boot.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:45 AM   #15  
Michelle the Vegan

Olympic cycling leaves me agog. Amazing, aren't they?

Welcome Mazza! According to my exercise log, I ride on average about 3 times a week. I have both a mountain bike and a hybrid, both of which I've raced in triathlons. Some day I might get a road bike, but I have to admit I'm not overly fond of the aero position. People say I'll get used to it in time, but I remain unconvinced. I know nothing about BMX riding, I'd love to hear all about it! Share!

Cdiem -- way to go on you long ride! I looked up your bike, very nice! It's a hybrid similar to my hybrid Trek, though yours is a little bit more upright than mine. I don't think "town" is out of your reach on your bike! I predict you'll be riding back and forth very soon!

Midwife -- Your new shorts sound really nice! I agree that bike clothing rocks. My husband bought me my first real "cycling jersey" the other day and I can't believe how cool, comfie, and aero it is! I can't wait to get another one!
Closed Thread