Old 08-09-2008, 01:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default I have a DATE tommorow night, and I'm super nervous about it!!

eek. I haven't had a date in years, and the last person I was set up with....well, let's just say we never called each other after the date. we didn't have a thing in common.

This guy I will be meeting tomm sounds very nice, and we have talked for a couple weeks now and have lots in common....but I'm just soooo nervous. What are some things I can do and tell myself to ease the nerves a little?
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:59 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 166/see ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Well just remember he already asked you or said yes to the date so you don't have to worry about whether or not he's interested.

I'm so excited for you.. have fun!
tonimaroni2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:08 AM   #3  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

And if you've been talking for a few weeks, you should have plenty to talk ABOUT on the date! Where are you guys going? What's the plan?

Just reassure yourself that he's probably just as nervous. You don't have to TRY and impress him - you've already DONE that. So just know that he's already interested, and try to have genuine fun!

I'm really excited for you, too! Can't wait to hear how it goes!
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:14 AM   #4  
Lady-in-training!

S/C/G: Heaviest: 215/202/168/130

Height: 5'5"

Don't build it up too much in your mind. Approach the date with the goal of having a good time, rather than snagging a guy (lol). Envision yourself having a good time on your way there.
Regardless of whether it works out and you guys go out again, know you've made a *huge* stride just by leaping back into the dating scene .
gtech2mit10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:49 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Have a nice time! Be yourself, have fun and take several deep breathes before the date to relax. This is great.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:13 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskinomad View Post
And if you've been talking for a few weeks, you should have plenty to talk ABOUT on the date! Where are you guys going? What's the plan?

Just reassure yourself that he's probably just as nervous. You don't have to TRY and impress him - you've already DONE that. So just know that he's already interested, and try to have genuine fun!

I'm really excited for you, too! Can't wait to hear how it goes!
he's sopose to call around 3:30 this afternoon to make some final plans. I think we are just gonna do dinner. I can't help buy be nervous since he's the first guy within a 30 mile radious of me that has shown me any interest in serveral years.

Thanks for all the encouraging words everyone!
Old 08-09-2008, 08:35 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 241.5/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Oh, how exciting! Good luck! The most important thing you can do is to BE YOURSELF! Don't try to be something you're not, in order to impress him. Have fun!
auntie g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:50 AM   #8  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

How exciting! Just be yourself, laugh a lot and ask him open ended questions! Getting him to talk will help you relax, and give you more stuff to talk about.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:37 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/161/144

Height: 5'9"

I've noticed that when I work out, I feel really confident for the rest of the day. Probably because of released endorphins and such. Regardless, I feel Super! Try working out a few hours before you go. That might work for you!
Kofarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:55 AM   #10  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

I second this suggestion -- just keep it light and treat it like you would going out to dinner with a friend; be yourself and focus on enjoying the dinner rather than trying to make an impression or get into a relationship.

I also second the suggestion that you workout earlier in the day; I too feel more confident and attractive after I exercise.

Good luck and have a great time! Where'd you guys meet each other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtech2mit10 View Post
Don't build it up too much in your mind. Approach the date with the goal of having a good time, rather than snagging a guy (lol). Envision yourself having a good time on your way there.
Regardless of whether it works out and you guys go out again, know you've made a *huge* stride just by leaping back into the dating scene .
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:12 AM   #11  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

Hi Borntofly,
When in doubt, Google it... LOL
I just googled (first date+nervous) there's slew of stuff....

On a more pesonally note, of course try to be yourself. Wear something 'sexyish' but comfortable, you don't want to be tugging, pulling, stretching clothes around all night... all of that makes you look nervous too.
And my worst 'habit'... even before the date, planning out the future, thinking, OK, what will the first night, or weekend together be like, maybe he's the one, how am I going to know, OK, so we will be engaged in a year, maybe kids in 2 years.... OMG, I have to tell myself... It's a flippin date ! don't set out thinking about marrying him.. I've finally learned to 'be present' during the date, staying in the moment.. and listen... I've learned that you learn more about a person by listening to them talk at random, rather than asking questions...
Have a great time.... and let us know how it went...
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:21 PM   #12  
Maintaining ~6 years!

S/C/G: 263/Maintaining/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLK View Post
I also second the suggestion that you workout earlier in the day; I too feel more confident and attractive after I exercise.
Me three! This is a great suggestion.

I also agree with Sweetcaroline's suggestions about what you wear. Personally, I am very much a girly girl and I know that my clothes have an impact on my mood, hehe. If you choose something to wear that makes you feel GREAT (because it's your favorite color, or because you think it's really flattering, etc) then you will feel more confident. Not saying that you should wear something just because you think he'll like it, I mean this strictly as a way to boost your confidence.

Congrats on having a date! I'm jealous. Hehe.
Star2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:45 PM   #13  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

To me, getting out there on a date with someone you want to go out with after a long time off is a triumph. Regardless of the outcome, you're a success just because you're participating. Everything good after that is a bonus.

I haven't been out on a date in ages, but when I have something I'm doing that makes me nervous, I find that it helps if I'm ready to go at least 5 to 10 minutes ahead of time, so I'm not rushing at the end and feeling flustered. Then, I take the extra time to sit and have some deep breaths or to play some really loud music and sing along with it at the top of my lungs, depending on whether I want to be calm or high energy.
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:50 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Yup, just remember that HE is nervous TOO . And remember that you deserve to be a treated like a queen and you deserve a man that is worth treating like a king. Life is too precious for less.

Have fun!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:11 PM   #15  

thanks everyone. there are some good ideas in here. I"m taking my time getting ready right now. Meeting him in about a hour in a half. I swear the butterflies in my stomach could make me lose 5 lbs. I think it will go well, we seem to have a lot of fun talking on the phone. I guess the nerves are coming from if he ends up not having a good time. But I can't think like that!