Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-08-2008, 11:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 189/169/150

Height: 5'8"

Default The wind has been taken out of my sails

I had surgery yesterday for the removal of skin cancer from the hollow of my neck and it turned out to be a bigger deal than I had expected. I have two layers of stitches that would be very bad to pop and they won't even let me bend over. (How am I supposed to brush my teeth?)

When I started my journey with you two and a half months ago my primary desire was to become fit. Sure I wanted to lose weight, but at my age, how I look has become less important than how I feel. After being completely sendentary, I embarked on the road to weight loss and regular challenging exercise and fell in love with it. I just plain feel better. I'm stronger, have much better balance, and my knees don't hurt. Everthing about movement is easier.

In fact, I am dependent on exercise to get me through the stress, fear, and uncertainty of biopsy, diagnosis, and surgery. I sailed on forward momentum. I was stopped short yesterday when I realized I can't exercise until the stitches are removed in two weeks. It was kind of funny. I said, "Do you mean I can't lift weights?" The nurse responded with a surprised "You lift weights?" (Yes! I lift weights! Me! )

Since I've only been at this a couple of months, I'm afraid I'm going to instantly revert to the woman I was a short time ago. I know it doesn't have to be that way but my new diet and lifestyle feel young and fragile and I'm kind of worried.
pinkcarnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:06 PM   #2  
No description available.

Sorry about the stitches. That is a bummer! I know what you mean about the fear of slipping back when momentum is interrupted.

It doesn't have to happen, though. Focus on your nutrition scrupulously. Watch some of the Olympic strength events and feel motivated for when you can lift again. Read some weight lifting books or check out some new recipes from Cooking Light. Plan for when you can resume exercise.

Ask your doctor if there is anything you can do. If you can't do anything this weekend, how about Monday? Light walking?

Hang in there. I know your dedication will get you through this.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:14 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I'm with Midwife...ask your doc what you CAN do, and do that while imagining all the things you WILL do once you're healed up.

8 lbs from goal, when I was totally dependent on exercise for my mood, my well being, and my weight maintenance, I had to have knee surgery. It took me months to get back up to my pre-surgery physical stuff, and I could do no LB work at all except in physical therapy for a while. I did NOT revert back to the person I was (in fact, I hit goal), and having read your posts, neither will you.

Sending good thoughts into the universe for positive test results and a quick recovery.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Argh. that would be so incredibly frustrating! I'm so sorry.

I have a friend who is dealing with a similar issue - he's going in for surgery next Thurs and will have a 12 week recovery time. Plus he's been dealing with chemo and radiation for the past 8 weeks, so no exercise then, either. He's frustrated as well.

I do agree to ask your dr what you can do ... you might not be able to lift weights, but can you do things with your legs and core? Or would that put too much strain on your neck? Even just some elliptical or treadmill work would at least let you work off some stress!

(and momentary sidetrack - Mandalinn - smokin' hawt new avatar there!)

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

I had a minor surgical procedure in late April that gave me an excuse not to run any more. Things got busy, the weather got hot, and I completely gave up running. Yesterday I was at the gym and hopped on the elliptical and went 10 minutes easily. I could have done a lot more had my trainer not stopped me to do my weights. So three months of being sedentary and I've started going to the gym with no ill effects (yesterday was day #3). Don't despair! Ask your doctor if you can do anything (walking at the minimum) and go for whatever he/she recommends. You won't completely lose what you've worked up to so far.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:29 PM   #6  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Sorry to hear about the surgery and that you are on forced rest right now.
But you are a MUCH stronger person than the person you were before you started exercising, right? And because you are stronger, you WILL survive the two weeks.
Yes, do check with the dr. what would be allowed - how about recumbent bike?

Wishing you a speedy recovery!
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:54 PM   #7  
Yarp.

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

August will not be the boss of you (as SusanB said), and neither will this surgery! Think of all the wonderful things you've done for yourself so far, the wonderful things you'll do for yourself when you're better, and the wonderful things you can do for yourself NOW, even with these limitations.

I'm sending good vibes and hopes for a speedy recovery your way!
UrsusMaritimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:16 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 205/154 CW/140-145ish GW

Height: 5'6.5"

I'm sorry you have to go through this.

I think that the fact you are posting about this concern now is a good sign that you won't fall back into old habits. I agree with the other posters that you should ask your doc what you CAN do and just do what you can until you can do more! Sometimes the best thing you can do for your health is giving your body the time it needs to recover. Just keep remembering that you ARE someone who lifts weights, and a temporary break does not have to change that.

I know this is repeating the same advice, but focusing on your nutrition is a great idea. I would also suggest maybe going to the library or bookstore and finding a book or book(s) about a type of exercise you think you might want to try or are interested in. That way you'll be even more mentally prepared when your body has caught up!

Also sending more wishes for a speedy recovery!
jenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 189/169/150

Thank you so much! I love you all.
pinkcarnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:27 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

After getting started on my weight loss plan I fell and broke my shoulder this put a stop to my 3X a week visits to the gym. I concentrated on doing what I could do. I walked a lot. I am still walking and it has helped tremendously.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:59 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I like the idea of reading inspirational things - new weight lifting goals, cook books with healthy recipes, travel books/magazines for ideas for your next interesting and active vacation.

I totally get what you are saying about your new lifestyle feeling "fragile". I think you have been through a lot. Take care of yourself, take it easy for a bit and you will be just fine.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:15 PM   #12  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

I agree with the others...ask the doctor what you can do, and do that...start off slowly. I had surgery myself 9 days ago, just got my gallbladder taken out, and four days later I started walking. Slowly at first, and not nearly as much distance as before, but I started and increased my speed and distance a bit, being careful not to overdo it and hurt myself. I am also back to counting calories. Now I can't wait to start jogging again and I have a new punching bag I'm looking forward to trying out, but not yet for awhile.

My big fear was that after the surgery, I would have a hard time getting back into exercise and eating right, but luckily that wasn't the case. I am off work for six weeks, and not able to do a whole lot, kinda bored most of the time, so my daily walk gives me something to do everyday.

Good luck, and wishing you a speedy recovery!

Last edited by Ookpik; 08-09-2008 at 09:15 PM.
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote