Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 07:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Default 300+ And Getting Fit after 40 #170

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:05 AM   #2  

Unhappy

Good morning chicks, How are you this fine Monday morning? I woke up this morning feeling a little dpressed. I can't figure out why because I am usually the happy go lucky type personality. Maybe it has something to do with my Moms passing almost a year ago. It doesn't seem like it has been that long, but on the 15th it will be a year. I have had her on my mind a lot lately too. I don't think I will ever make peace with the fact that she had to be in a nursing home her last year of life, and hated it so much!

Sorry about the negative start to this thread.

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend.

I am not doing any replies this morning, just wanted to come and say Hi. I do want to tell Terri....DON"T GO! Okay, I am just being selfish...I will miss you. Please hurry back.

Ruth

Last edited by Iwillbe; 08-04-2008 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:08 AM   #3  

morning eveybody not much going on here nothing new to report but just checking in. have a good day
Old 08-04-2008, 10:44 AM   #4  

I'm starting to feel more normal. I had wanted to get to the gym yesterday, but there was too much other I've-been-away-for-two-weeks running around to do... I did go this morning.

And it looks like I might have only gained a pound or two on vacation. If so, I can deal with that...
Old 08-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 305/247/<200

Height: 5'9"

Hi all -- hope your Monday is going well! I had a great weekend.

Saturday was kind of cold and cloudy up in the mountains -- I don't think it got over 55 degrees. Regardless, the hike was awesome. The company was good and the scenery was beautiful. We hiked through this big old growth forest up to a lake which would normally have a good view of Mt. Hood but instead had a view of a lot of fog/clouds . I had a couple of good NSVs. When I went to get ready in the a.m., both pairs of hiking shorts were in the wash (which I didn't realize until a few min before I had to leave). I pulled out a smaller pair of shorts which I could not even button a few months ago, and lo and behold, they fit! The other NSV was that I could keep up with this group even though I was the most overweight person in the crowd. It was a pretty good uphill trudge and I was breathing hard, but I kept up with them!

Sunday, I was just too beat to get on my bike, but I did weight lifting and an hour on my elliptical. I got to my book club which was a lot of fun. When I weighed myself on Sun, I was down to 264 -- 41lbs lost since mid-April. Yahoo!

Rene -- good for you for getting outside even when it is hot and for being committed to yourself! And how nice that you have access to a private pool. I love being in the water, but I am not all that efficient a swimmer -- it's just not that great of a workout for me. I have been thinking about taking lessons -- I know enough to keep from drowning and to pass the SCUBA certification test , but I am sure that I would enjoy it more as exercise if I was more proficient.

Heather -- welcome home! I'm glad you had such an awesome vacation!

Terri -- fort is holding awaiting your return!

Patti -- good for you for staying OP this weekend!

Ammi -- well, at least you didn't go over the top (is that what OTT means?) and you have a great attitude about this week! Maybe I'm not doing it right, but I am not stressing a lot over eating and exercising. From all the calorie counting I've done, I know roughly how many calories I'm eating a day (it helps that I like numbers and math ). I am really liking exercising -- both the gym work and the outdoors stuff. Last year, I used my bonus from work to buy a really nice elliptical, weight bench, and set of weights, so I can work out in my garage or at the gym here at work which only costs $6/month. I find that after a stressful day at work, some hard work on the elliptical is really quite theraputic. I am sure I will have my ups and downs, but I am so much hoping I can make this work and make it stick.

Ruth -- I'm sorry to hear that you woke up blue, but it seems like it isn't too surprising. From the reading I've done, I understand that anniversaries can be really rough on those left behind. Please take good care of yourself .

I have school this weekend -- all day Friday and all day Saturday, so I might just be lurking this week . Have a great week everyone!
Old 08-04-2008, 06:38 PM   #6  
rene

S/C/G: 338/321/170

Height: 5foot4

Hello,
hope all is well with all of you. It's been a typical monday at work. I am glad to be home. I'm getting myself psyched for exercise and making supper. bad combination.
ruth-sorry for your pain my heart goes out to you.
elmay- thank for the kind words and great support.
hope everyone has a great night.
rene
Old 08-04-2008, 09:24 PM   #7  

It seems it might be a while before I post pics (don't ask), but I did change my avatar. My new one is me and a fish that I had just scaled and gutted for dinner! I learned a new skill! We cleaned the fish at water's edge and behind me is the sea.

And it was yummy.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:56 AM   #8  

Good morning ladies, How is it going this morning?

I feel a little better this morning. I am trying to keep busy and not spend so much time "thinking".

Heather, nice pic. Don't you just love to clean fish? Not! Messy job, but they are so worth it. Fresh fish taste much better than fresh frozen that you buy in the store. I got spoiled when we lived in Fl. everything was fresh caught that we ate. Yummy!

Do any of you start thinking about changing your eating plan? I started checking some of the other threads and thought, gee, maybe I should try that for awhile. LOL! Not a good idea for me to do that. Counting calories seems to be the only way I can go. I tried the vegetable diet, didn't last a day! I tried the high protein diet, thought I was going to upchuck! I tried one called the three day diet, nearly starved! ( or so I thought). I would say overall either WW or counting calories is still my number one diet. I know people who have done excellent on the other plans, but they are not for me. SIGH!

Elmay, I get worn out just reading all of your activity, way to go girl! It does sound like you have fun. I am not a physical kind of gal. I mean, doing housework is a big deal for me. LOL!

Speaking of which, I should be up doing some of that right now instead of sitting in front of this computer.

Rene and twofatforu, How is it going with the exercise and work? twofatforu, do you have a shorter name that we can use that doesn't sound like we are being mean to you? LOL!

Ammi, littleanniefannie (?) What's up? I know there are a lot more of you out there lurking, I just can't remember all the names right now. Val? Have you left us again?

It is nice sitting here talking to you, but I need to get busy now. Things to do and all of that. That reminds me....how is the redo coming along on your abode Ammi? I still have a lot of things I would like to do in my house. A change of carpet is coming soon! We have painted most of the house inside over the last couple of years, and now I am looking at it thinking I would like to change some of the colors. I don't want a divorce so I haven't said so. LOL.

Take it easy all. Ruth
Old 08-05-2008, 07:13 AM   #9  

Ruth -- I didn't like scaling the fish, but I didn't mind gutting it at all! It helped that we could toss the guts and rinse the fish in the sea!

I'm a calorie counter for life now. I do believe different plans work for different people -- and some people may be good on a number of plans -- but this is the one that works for me!
Old 08-05-2008, 12:45 PM   #10  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

Ruth, Glad you're feeling a bit better this a.m. Here's a bit of sunny cheer for you.
As for changing the eating plan, when I was on track the first successful time around, I know that was the best plan for me long term. However, I keep just mixing it up as far as how to get back OP - trying new rules. Maybe that's my problem - always trying to succeed without following the rules (that I know work for me.) Whatever I do, I have to keep in mind the impact of refined carbs.

Right now I'm just trying to plan my next few meals to be convenient and quick, and within rational, reasonable good-food guidelines. But this morning I had Cheerios for breakfast and am regretting it. The carbs have made me hungry all morning. Fortunately, I brought some awesome soup with huge chunks of veggies and 3 types of protein. The trick is to just eat HALF the quart container for lunch today, and save the rest for tomorrow. My stomach is satisfied, but my brain is screaming for more more more.

I WILL ride my horse, and I will do it WITHOUT joggling around on him like a fantastic sack of jello! I SWEAR I WILL!
...Besides, there's a guy at my barn that I've been friends with for years, but since his kids started competing against my kids (and losing) he's become a real snot. Wouldn't it just be SO much fun to ride against him myself next year... and whip 'im? I have plenty of time to get ready - all the way thru
andandandand lots of and ANDand not to mention my C'mon, who says it can't be done?

PS - Terri, we miss you!

Last edited by NoLifeWithoutHorses; 08-05-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:01 PM   #11  

hello all no good news here as i just posted elsewhere i am retaining water and it is making me mad lol
Old 08-05-2008, 05:26 PM   #12  

Hey all! Sorry I've been MIA. I usually don't get on the computer on the weekends and Sunday my back started bothering me. I didn't go to work yesterday or today because of it. Truth be told, I could probably have gone today. The muscle spams have been pretty mild, but I figured one day in my cruddy desk chair and I'd be off again, so I took it easy today too.

I did do a couple of chores around the house and planted some carrots and lettuce and spinich. I'm trying to start lettuce and spinach in individual pots so I can actually have a head of lettuce instead of a bunch all growing together. Supposedly you can get a fall crop of those if you plant in August, so we'll see.

Ammi, I think it was you that mentioned having a hard time being motivated again. I understand completely! I've been having the hardest time. Right after I lost that 100 - I lost all interest. I regained and now am trying to get it back off, but so far no luck. I admit, motivation is hard to come by right now. I do want to lose weight. I do want to wear all those darn clothes I bought that no longer fit. But it's still just not the same as it was in 2005 when I started and I don't know what it is.

Ruth - I'm glad you are feeling better.

Heather- Welcome home!

Terri, We miss you, but hope your break from posting is a good thing for you.

Everyone else - A big hello! AND a big WELCOME BACK to our returning chickies!
Anyway, hope you all are having a good one.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:00 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 329/tracker/168

Height: 5'6"

Hello All,

I am late writing this, I’ve missed a couple of days and it’s actually gone midnight now. I’ve been either lazy or busy or a bit of both lol, but I’m here now.

I’ve had a bit of enlightenment with regards to my weight loss. I’ve been struggling on and off for over a year to get back on track and each time I fall off the wagon I feel like a failure and turn to comfort eating again. I also realise that after I lost a lot of weight in 2006 it was just too easy to fall back into my old eating habits and that’s because I didn’t make a life style change. I was on a diet! Soooooo what I’m going to do as both a baby step towards losing weight, but more importantly as a life style change, I’m going to concentrate on eating like a normal person. 3 meals a day and maybe a snack with my evening cuppa. I figure that learning to eat normally and take on more regular exercise is the perfect start to making a good change in my life. Soon enough I’ll hopefully be able to start lowering my calories and then see how I go. My problem has always been the same, if I’m not on a diet then I’m eating enough for 2 or 3. It’s about time I learned to eat for 1

Heather – wow you look amazing in your avatar photo. So young, slim and full of life! I don’t envy you holding that fish you had just gutted, but hey each to their own lol.

Ruth – big hugs to you, I know exactly how you feel about having lost your mum and it not feeling like it’s been a year. I lost my mum last year too, and I still go to pick up the phone to ring her, or when I get photos printed I automatically go for two sets so I can send her one. It’s always a blow when I have to realise yet again that she’s gone. You said you don’t think you’ll ever come to terms with the fact that your mum spent the last year of her life in a nursing home. With me, I’m struggling to come to terms with my mum having died alone at home and that it was days before she was found What we both have to focus on is that however they died, they are now at peace, and watching over us

I hear you on the diet thing, saying WW or calorie counting diets are the best for you. I’m the same. I’ve never tried the others because I know if I can’t even stick to WW sometimes that there is no way I could do something like Atkins or South Beach. For now I’m not going to follow any diet as I said at the start, but in time will get back to my WW points.
Oh yes the DIY is coming on well. We’ve got new roller blinds on the bedroom and living room windows. All the upstairs doors are off their hinges (except the toilet door), one is totally stripped of paint, the other one waiting to be stripped. All the door frames are stripped and sanded and although the place looks horrendous now, they will look so gorgeous when we’re finished. I’m cheeky aren’t I, saying when ‘we’re’ finished. It’s hubby that’s doing most of the work, I just help with the clean up and make the drinks I laughed at what you said about not mentioning to your hubby about wanting to change the colour scheme in your house after having it done not too long ago. I’ve lived here 11 years, 6 of them with Daren and for one reason or another, mainly my health, we’ve never decorated. It’s wonderful to be doing it now, but after all this mess I don’t think I’ll suggest a change in schemes any time soon!

Patti – I said hi on MySpace, but hello here too lol. Any idea when you go on the road again? A trip to Vegas maybe?

Elmay - on your two NSVs. I bet you were so thrilled to get those shorts out and to find out that they fit. I’m the other way right now, all my smaller clothes that I got into before are now too snug and I’ve got hardly any clothes that fit me anymore. I hate knowing I have to go buy some new things after I gave away all my bigger clothes thinking I’d never fit them again! But that’s my problem, sorry to go off track. I love that you could keep up with your hiking group, and WOW an hour on your elliptical. That’s amazing. When I used to go on one in the gym I could only just manage 20 minutes and for the last 10 I’d be watching the clock just waiting for when I could get off lol.

Yep OTT means over the top. I’ve still not gone OTT with my eating, but I’ve not stayed on points and I’ve come to the conclusion at the start of my post. I’m going to do this, change my life style, lose the weight and keep it off.

Lilion – dear friend I am so glad I am not the only one who feels like I do about finding it so hard to get back on track with the weight loss. We’ve both done so well in the past and yet now it’s just a real struggle. As you will see from the start of my post I’ve decided to take baby steps with the hope that that will help. Even if I never get back on my weight loss journey at least learning to eat normally and exercise will help me to not gain any weight either. I hope you’ll find a way to carry on losing weight, and if you figure it out, maybe you can tell me

I’m sorry that your back has been giving you grief. I really suffer with mine too which is why I love my lap top PC. I just lie in bed, and type away. Brilliant. Do you know what causes your back pain? I hope it will be 100% back to normal soon.

Valerie – yep you are going to carry on with your weight loss and you are going to whip snob guy’s butt. I had to laugh at your description of yourself as a fantastic giant sack of jello on your horse! I am sure you don’t look anything like that

Ok time for me to have a shower then hit the sack now. Take care all, and I’ll be back tomorrow.

Hugs,

Ammi
Old 08-06-2008, 06:52 AM   #14  

good morning chicks, another day, another chance to be op! Boy, have I been having a hard time with that. I do well for most of the day, but the slip ups are killing me. I stood in front of the fridge thinking I would have a nice little snack of some kind of veggie and low and behold one of those zucchini muffins jumped out of the bag and attacked me! That was yesterday, today is a new day. Why does this have to be so darn hard?

Lilion and Heather, I don't know about you two, but I have clothes in ever size from here to there. Can't bring myself to get rid of any of them. Most don't fit anymore. I sometimes buy a size smaller on purpose, poor decision! It wouldn't be so bad if I actually lost enough to get into them.

Ammi, I have tried that approach to eating also. Just eat normal! Ok, I have a hard time figuring out what normal is. I think I must be one of those people who don't have a "ok, you are full" button, or whatever is supposed to signal that you have had enough. I can eat large amounts of food and seldom feel overfull. It is disgusting. I have to set limits for myself.

Val, I do think I have a problem with the carbs making me hungry also, but some mornings cereal is all I want. That could be the reason I am standing in front of that fridge looking for my next "fix". I do believe I am a food addict. I know I eat when I am not hungry.

Terri, if you are reading the thread...I am having doggie story withdrawal. I guess Lilion and Val will have to fill us in on their pets to keep us going. We miss you!

tofat, they tell me to drink more water when I am having retention. Never did make sense to me, but try it.

It is early here, but I have already ironed what was in my basket and cleaned up the kitchen. Emptied out the fridge. (couldn't get myself to throw out those darn muffins). Who ever said that when you retire you get to take it easy? They must have been out of their minds! I can find more hard work here than I ever had when I had my store.

Well chickies, I guess I have rambled on long enough. I am sure there is some chore waiting for me. to all: Ruth

Last edited by Iwillbe; 08-06-2008 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #15  

ammi hi.. i may gon on the road again next month right after my cancerdr 6 month checkup! have a good day all!
Closed Thread