Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 131/100/70 kg

Height: 167 cm

Default I need some ideas for a light dinner.

Ok I am having this little problem so anyone that can give me suggestion.

I have problem with my dinner. I lack a lot of variety. I count calories and by dinner time I have 300-350 calories to eat. I fear I lack dinner knowledge as I end up eating a sandwich or cereals and frankly, I am a bit sick of eating the same things over and over.

I have checked the internet for suggestion but most meals I found were quite big or contained eggs (which make me feel bloated and I can't sleep).

So does anyone have any suggestions for me to include variety in my diet and not hurt my stomach?

Ps: Due to my current bowel irritation I cannot eat green leaves on salad (so lettuce is for the time being out of the question).
preetyladyserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/161/144

Height: 5'9"

Grilled meat and steamed vegetables. In my town, they sell canned tuna steaks. Grilled, thai, smoked, different kinds, very delicious.
Try soup, Preety, it's filling. If you buy canned (like me) keep your eye on sodium.
Kofarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:01 PM   #3  

Broil or bake a chicken breast after marinating in some low fat dressing like Italian. Steam or microwave a green vegetable like beans or brocholi. Microwave a small potato or sweet potato. Voila- in about 20 minutes you have a balanced, healthy, filling meal. Good luck. Also a quick walk about half hour after eating helps me not get that gluggy stuffed feeling that makes sleeping difficult.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:33 PM   #4  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I have tons of recipes for dinners that are under 300 calories. Cooking Light is a great source for low cal dinner recipes. So much so that I actually have recipe file saved on CL.com with the name "Chicken Recipes-Under 300 Calories."

Here are a few ideas:
Beef and Rice Casserole
1 lb 95% lean ground beef
2 cups diced celery (7 oz)
1 cup diced red pepper (6 oz)
1 cup diced onion (6 oz)
1 cup brown rice
14 oz tomatoes
4 oz can diced green chiles, drained
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp pepper
1 beef bullion cube
1 1/4 cups water
4 oz shredded reduced fat cheese

Brown meat in a large, oven-proof skillet with celery, pepper, and onions. Drain fat if necessary. Add remaining ingredients, except cheese. Bring to a boil. Cover and place in 350 degree oven and bake for 45 min or so, until rice is tender. Top with cheese and bake for 5 min more, just until cheese melts. If you don't have an oven-proof skillet, you can dump it into a casserole dish and bake it that way. Makes 6 servings at about 300 calories each.

Chicken with Rice
12 oz chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
6 oz diced red pepper (1 cup)
6 oz diced onions (1 cup)
5 oz diced carrots (1 cup)
7 oz diced celery (2 cups)
4 cups cooked rice
12 cup bottled stir-fry sauce or salsa

Spray large non-stick skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat over med-high. Saute chicken with vegetables until everything is cooked. Add rice and stir-fry sauce and cook until heated through.

Coq Au Vin
2 tbsp olive oil
2 lbs chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 cup onion, diced (6 oz)
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups carrots, diced (10 oz)
10 oz mushrooms, sliced (sub 1 cup of diced celery if you don't like mushrooms)
8 oz turkey kielbasa
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup red wine
14 oz diced tomatoes
10 oz pearl onions, blanched and peeled
1 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup water

In a dutch oven or large saucepan, saute chicken in 1 tbsp olive oil until browned.

Add remaining tbsp olive oil, onion, garlic, carrots, mushrooms, and turkey kielbasa. Saute, stirring frequently, until onion is just tender.

Add remaining ingredients through pepper and simmer for 15 minutes.

Combine flour and water, then stir into the stew. Cook for 5 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Discard bay leaf and serve.

Note: To peal the pearl onions, place them in boiling water for 3 min, drain and then rinse with cold water. Then you can cut the end of each onion and easily pop it out of its skin.

Makes 6 servings, 350 calories per serving, 12g fat, 22g carbs (3g fiber), 39g protein.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 08-02-2008 at 10:35 PM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:39 AM   #5  

nice recipes!
feypore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #6  
How much longer?

S/C/G: 180/ticker/130

Height: 5'5'

After a long day at work and then over an hour at the gym the last thing I want to think about is how I am going to make a healthy dinner that does not take too long. I love to cook on weekends when time permits but during the week I stock up on fresh and frozen fish or chicken from either trader joes or the grocery store. They have MANY options that are already marinated or seasoned.

I always forget to take food out to defrost in the morning or night before, i always forget. So when I get home the gym I grap the fish from the freezer, fill the sick with hot water. Plop the fish in the hot water (still in wrapper) and let it sit until the oven is preheated to 400. It take just the same amount of time to heat the oven and it does to defrost the fish. Then you cook the fish for 20 minutes. Right before it is done, I pick a veggie I have, pop it in the micowave to make it warm to eat and thats it. Low calorie, easy, low time, and only 2 dishs to clean.

It can get a little bland at times, but it blind eating to me. I know its good for me, low calorie, and I don't have to think about it.

Good Luck!
Insatiable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:37 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 131/100/70 kg

Height: 167 cm

Oh thank you all! Barbara your recipes are awesome!!!

Sorry for not replying sooner but dissertations is consuming a lot of my time.
preetyladyserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:42 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
I always forget to take food out to defrost in the morning or night before, i always forget. So when I get home the gym I grap the fish from the freezer, fill the sick with hot water. Plop the fish in the hot water (still in wrapper) and let it sit until the oven is preheated to 400. It take just the same amount of time to heat the oven and it does to defrost the fish. Then you cook the fish for 20 minutes. Right before it is done, I pick a veggie I have, pop it in the micowave to make it warm to eat and thats it. Low calorie, easy, low time, and only 2 dishs to clean.
Hello, me!

Seriously, I swear by my George Foreman grill and my toaster oven. I buy chicken breast tenders and fish and pork chop tenders in large packs and then freeze them in 4 oz portions. When I get home in the evening, pop the frozen bag in a bowl of warm water. Throw the thawed meat either in the toaster oven or on the GF grill. Season with whatever I'm in the mood for. Sometimes I'll make a foil packet of veggies and pop it in the toaster oven as well. Sometimes I'll saute veggies in my small frying pan w/ a bit of olive oil. Sometimes I just put them in the microwave.

Quick, easy, simple, and tastes good.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 08-05-2008 at 11:42 AM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:08 PM   #9  
Claire Bears

S/C/G: 125/106/100

Height: 5'1

When I want to eat a truly filling and decadent dinner I use one of Devin Alexander's recipes. She just makes the perfect types of subsitutions to shave calories off of fattening dinners so they are about 200-400 calories, which is what I usually need for dinner as well. She did a show called healthy decadence and wrote the biggest loser cookbooks and the most decadent diet ever. You can google a bunch of her recipes. Last night I made her eggplant parm and it was amazing and only 200 calories for 1/4 of the casserole.
ClaireFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:39 PM   #10  

Seriously, I swear by my George Foreman grill and my toaster oven

Me too! One of my favorite dinners is salmon patty (from Aldi's and cheap) which I pop in my toaster oven and some grilled veggies on my foreman. Fast, easy, filling and low in calories.

I also love vegetable dumplings that I get from a korean grocery store. Once I cut the noodles out, they are surprisingly long in calories and fast, easy and yummy!

Lately toasted green beans are becoming another favorite of mine. Wonder where I got that idea!
cdiem4994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:10 PM   #11  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

yup, me a chicken breast and a george foreman grill and I'm set. Add some veggies and some spices and I'm set for dinner. If you've never tried a GF grill you are missing out.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote