General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2001, 12:44 PM   #1  

Just wondering if anyone on this board is losing weight successfully on a vegetarian lifestyle? When I was was in my teens and early twenties I was a veggie and didn't have quite the problem with my weight that I have now. I decided about three weeks ago to get back to that kind of eating and also take it up one more notch and also eliminate dairy and not just flesh. So far so good and I am also down 7 lbs. I must admit that there are lots of sites on the web for veggies but most who have sustained this lifestyle are not overweight and don't struggle as I am (I need to lose 45 lbs total). The dieting fad of the day is the low carb deal and obviously that won't work for me so here I am hanging out in house full of meat eaters looking for someone else in my situation to chat with.
Old 02-16-2001, 08:42 PM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

W/W has provisions for Vegetarians as do some of the other type programs such as Food Pyramid and Selection plans. You might wanna jump down to the the W/W section for groups and I think there is a group there and their is a big following over at Dotti's place http://pub38.************/fdottisweig...onevegetarians
Old 02-17-2001, 01:12 AM   #3  

Hi, I am not a vegetarian, but eat very little meat. I really like veggie burgers, hummus etc. I think that I had a grilled chicken salad about 10 days ago. I am just counting calories and exercisinga and it seems to be working (down 30lbs. since Jan 1).

asta
Old 02-17-2001, 09:04 PM   #4  
Water Freak

I've been veg for the past two years, and I've found it much easier to both lose and maintain weight on this sort of diet.

Cat
Old 02-19-2001, 01:19 PM   #5  

Thanks for the website ladies. Looks like that forum is pretty active. Glad to hear from someone who has lost weight and maintained on a vegetarian plan. Do you eat dairy? I am going totally vegan because I know it is going to be healthier for me all around.
Old 02-19-2001, 09:57 PM   #6  
Uber-Moderator!!

Justaveg --

I did Dr. McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss plan a couple of times (which is about as vegan as you can get!) and lost a bunch of weight, but it is INCREDIBLY strict...no flour products, no soy products, only 2 fruits a day, of course no animal products, no fat but you can eat all the potatoes, whole grains and veggies you want (except for avocados, olives, etc). I pretty much ate the same thing every day:

Oatmeal and a banana for breakfast
Plain baked potato and small salad for lunch
Chinese veggies (no oil) and brown rice OR veggie sushi for dinner.

Plus an apple, rice cakes, or carrots when I got hungry between meals.

It's a good plan BUT again...very strict. I've pretty much been a lacto veggie since around 1992 otherwise...with some VERY occasional exceptions.

MrsJim
265/159/145
Old 02-20-2001, 02:32 PM   #7  

Mrs.Jim
I think the numbers under your post represent beginning/current/goal weights so you have been very successful with your weightloss, I am eating no dairy or eggs but do have some oil and margarine and of course bread, can't live without bread but I can make it myself here at home in the machine so I know exactly what I am putting in it. So far I am really happy with the way things are going but would like to know how long it took you to lose the weight you have lost? I am going for the slow gradual loss and am not restricting myself very much. So far I have lost about 8lbs.
justaveggie
Old 02-24-2001, 08:16 PM   #8  

The Meditteranean Diet, would work very well as a vegetarian diet. Just leave out the fish and meat. I do it every year as an Easter Fast. In the orthodox religion, we have to give up meat, dairy, and my whole family lives on vegetables, fish, and bread, and fruit for the 40 days. You do feel better, and I always notice I get rid of my sinusitis, and congestion when I get rid of the dairy.
I've seen plenty of overweight Vegans. Some of them overeat too, and too many calories of any food will put the weight on.
Olga
Old 02-24-2001, 09:01 PM   #9  
Uber-Moderator!!

I love real Italian food -- especially polenta and good veggies sauteed in a bit of olive oil!

I agree I have seen a lot of overweight vegetarians, maybe even some vegans. There's plenty of high-calorie vegan foods out there. Olive oil, avocados, and certain soy foods come to mind immediately. You can also buy vegan chocolate/energy bars, etc. Don't forget that most high-sugar cereals and other products are vegan as well.

I'm not knocking vegans at all -- I've even gone completely vegan on occasion -- just pointing out that our culture has made it very easy to obtain high calorie convenience foods no matter how you eat -- and they are often promoted by their manufacturers as 'healthy' (i.e. Snackwells when they first came out -- I haven't been paying too much attention to how they are promoted now, except I have seen boxes of new Snackwells products that are labeled 'sugar-free' - does that mean NO sucrose at all or just no white sugar??? Some products are promoted as 'all natural, no sugar' then you look on the ingredients listing and it shows 'fructose' or 'natural apple/grape juice concentrate' etc. You get the picture!

MrsJim
265/155/145
Old 02-24-2001, 09:51 PM   #10  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Morning,
I too would like to cut out all dairy. I'm a cheeseaholic, and I love milk but have been told that if I give up these products that within two weeks, the BLOAT wil be gone and I would be able to tell the difference.
If this is the case, I guess this means NO SOY MILK? Is there a look-a-like-product out there to use on my Uncle Sam's Cereal? I've never tried the veggie cheese...Is it tasty?
I have a wonderful recipe magazine that I got at my WW meeting called DOWN TO EARTH that has over 130 vegetarian recipes. They all look wonderful. Some contain tofu which I have tasted and DON'T LIKE...I can leave that product out and be satisfied.
I see so many products at the HFS...but which ones do I use?
Old 02-24-2001, 10:27 PM   #11  
Uber-Moderator!!

Hey Orange --

If you don't like soy milk - try rice milk! Rice Dream is a good brand - you should be able to get it at Trader Joe's or a local supermarket (they even sell it at Safeway). Try the Vanilla flavored version.

MrsJim
265/155/145
Old 02-24-2001, 10:29 PM   #12  
Uber-Moderator!!

Also to Just A Veg and others who are interested:
http://www.vegsource.com/

This is a great site with LOADS of vegan/vegetarian info!

MrsJim
265/155/145
Old 02-25-2001, 01:10 AM   #13  

Hi justaveggie

I have the same problem, I decided to become a lacto-vegetarian but my fiencee eats meat and does not like vegetables, only corn. So there is meat in the house and it is difficult to stay away from it! My daughter is 4 and she does not like meat, she is a lacto-ovo-vegetarian. I cannot seem to giv eup dairy, since it is almost everything. At first my fincee, Bruce, decided to do this with me, after all he has about 100 pounds to lose, but it is hard fo rhim since he loves meat. I just do not know what to do, ever since I started eating meat I have gained 3 pounds. I know that eating meat is not something I want to do. I also do not want to eat any egg products and I found this really cool lactose free butter. Whatever I can cut I want to, why cant he just chill with the meat? Does that sound mean? He said he use to not eat meat, why does he have to now?

------------------
catch a falling star and put it in your pocket ... save it for a rainy day ..
Old 02-25-2001, 01:40 AM   #14  
Uber-Moderator!!

Hi Angelina -

My husband, Jim, is also a meat eater. It's in the house but it really doesn't bother me or call to me the way you would think. Jim eats vegetarian meals frequently (such as pasta, etc) but he does like his meat. That's okay, it's his choice. What I do when shopping is buy individual portions for him (such as those frozen hamburger patties, chicken breasts - he likes the Safeway ones). We have a George Foreman grill and that's what I usually use to grill his steak, fish, whatever for him. Our work has a good cafeteria so he usually eats a big lunch (with meat...)those evenings he usually just has a bowl of cereal.

My suggestion is -- make meals that you can both eat, if he insists on having his meat try to make a meal where you can add the meat separately (pasta - add meatballs; stir-fry - make the chicken or meat strips separate and add them to his portion of the rice and veggies; tacos/burritos - have dishes of lettuce, tomatoes, rice, beans, salsa, etc along with a bowl of seasoned meat and some warm tortillas - everybody makes their own at the table and can add what they wish!) Just a few examples.

MrsJim
265/155/145

PS - for a hearty vegetarian dish, check the 'food' thread...I posted a great veggie enchilada recipe there -- easy, nutritious and VERY filling!! Even your carnivore should be satisfied with it!

[This message has been edited by MrsJim (edited 02-24-2001).]
Old 02-25-2001, 11:21 PM   #15  

Thank you! You know after I worte that message I felt better, it was like I just had to blow off some steam, and then I realized it is not him, it is me! I want to avoid meats, I can do that .. just because they are in the house does not mean that I have to eat them. I can make stir fry or potatos with veggies .. there are plenty of things for me to have even if he does not like it and then we both win! Thank you so much! and thank you for hte recipes, I am going there now!!

------------------
catch a falling star and put it in your pocket ... save it for a rainy day ..
Closed Thread