Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-03-2008, 09:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 166/166/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Ever feel like its literally impossible to lose weight?

I do. I'm a bit overweight. I used to weigh 140, but I did that in an unhealthy way. Now at 166, I've changed my eating habits in the past few months, feel healthier, but no weight has really come off. Or, I'll eat super healthy for a few days, mess up one day, and I'm back to my original weight. Ir's so frustrating. I almost feel like it's because I lost weight in an unhealthy way before that i just screwed my body up.

Last edited by Diana86; 08-03-2008 at 09:52 AM.
Diana86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:03 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey Diana86!

I know what you mean...

But I also notice that you don't mention any way of tracking what you're eating.

"Eating super healthy" doesn't always mean weight loss. I gained weight eating "healthy" foods--organic, etc., nothing but the best quality. But too much of it. To lose consistently, I had to find a way to actually see how much I was eating and keep it under control.

There's a middle ground between unhealthy weight loss and no weight loss at all. Don't worry about the past--find a plan you can follow now. Calorie counting, Weight Watchers, South Beach... all of these plans have advantages and disadvantages--find one that fits pretty well with your life, and stick with it!

Don't give up--

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:10 AM   #3  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

I agree that just because you're eating healthily you may be eating too much!

I started out at 164 and dint really lose any weight despite being healthy, and then I found out how many calories was needed to lose weight and once I started counting those the weight started to drop off.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:12 AM   #4  
Blue Blood

S/C/G: 293/274/150

Height: 5'10"

Diana,
If loosing weight in an unhealthy manner screwed your body up to where you could no longer lose weight, I would say 80% of the people on this board will never lose weight! Most of us have starved or purged or gone on a ridiculous fad diet at one time or the other.

The reason you are not loosing weight is not a mystery...You said it in your post. You are not being consistant. When you are really ready, you will quit sabotaging yourself every few days.

I once read something that was so crazy...but the more I get into my diet...the more I believe it... The theory is that when you have cravings, you are loosing weight. In a way that is true...
If you satisfy your body's nutritional needs consistantly, without excess, you WILL reach and maintain a healthy weight. If you give in to cravings, it will slow or impede your progress.

You can do this. Find a way other than food to treat yourself when you have stayed with your eating plan. And treat yourself extra nice when you don't give in to cravings!

Good luck,
D

Last edited by djay; 08-03-2008 at 10:13 AM.
djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:17 AM   #5  

Thanks for the advice. I recently started journaling what I'm eating, through 3FC blogs. I feel like it helps because I'll see something I want to eat but shouldnt, and I'll go ohh..I want that, but I don't want the responsibility of having to write that down in my food journal!
Old 08-03-2008, 10:29 AM   #6  

You can take a look at my blog! It's listed right here under my user name.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #7  

I eat super healthy, too, but when I get slack and don't keep my food diary the weight goes up. You can eat too much of healthy foods too. A few days isn't enough time to see any lifestyle change that will lead to permanent weight loss and maintenance. It takes 3 weeks to make a new habit. I suggest you track your food and figure out how much you are really eating. Weight fluctuates from hour to hour as well as day to day so only weigh once a week. How much exercise do you do? That is very important as well.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:04 AM   #8  

i dont exercise much. im going to start doing some videos thursday, when my condensed summer classes from **** are over. also, im taking a week off of work soon, so i can start getting into the habit then/
Old 08-03-2008, 11:41 AM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey again!

I looked at your blog--sorry to say, I think you're way underestimating your calories.

I'd suggest you look at sites like FitDay and TheDailyPlate, where you can enter foods and the calories will be listed for you. You really do have to know portion sizes, ounces, cups, whatever, of every food, and figure out the number of calories.

How much syrup do you put on your pancakes? Do you measure it with a tablespoon? Or just gluck it out until it looks "covered"? If the second one, then you just have no idea how much sugar and calories you're getting with the syrup. Same goes for "bites" of subs, and all those other bits and pieces you're eating during the day. Peanuts are really high cal if you get going on them, for example. 35 peanuts = 170 calories. Easy to eat 3X that many...

So I'd say, you could get a much better idea of how much you're really eating if you use a tool like FitDay. Also, you can look up calories for different restaurants on line, so you don't have to guess.

Good luck!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #10  

oooh i definitely didnt eat more than 35 peanuts.
and i 86ed the syrup as of today, and i just made a skinny circle around them before. and i dont like the daily plate because its so frustrating to me that there are 100s of different choices for one item that you type in. and having a bite of someones sandwich isnt that big of a deal. its not like i ate my brothers entire lunch. i think youre overestimating what im eating.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #11  
Peace. Love. Balance

S/C/G: 199/128/125 (new goal of 115)

Height: 5'3

Why don't you swap out the waffles and syrup for a healthy cereal with fat free/low fat milk?
bananapancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:56 PM   #12  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

As shown above, calorie counting is really the way to go. Now, I don't calorie count every single day, but if my weight starts creeping or gets stuck, I will count for a few days, until I am back on track and that sort of puts me in check for a few weeks.
www.thedailyplate.com - I honestly think that is the best place to count calories, HUGE library of foods!

Also, working out is usually the breaker for me. I eat a lot and stay at the high limit of my calories, often go over, and I DO treat myself. Those weeks that I workout REALLY show up on the scale. Hope that helps.

If all else fails, don't forget that there could be a medical issue that is not allowing you to lose weight, I wouldn't know very good examples, but that is a problem for some.

CONGRATS on eating healthier!

Last edited by vixjean; 08-03-2008 at 12:58 PM.
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:00 PM   #13  
Peace. Love. Balance

S/C/G: 199/128/125 (new goal of 115)

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana86 View Post
oooh i definitely didnt eat more than 35 peanuts.
and i 86ed the syrup as of today, and i just made a skinny circle around them before. and i dont like the daily plate because its so frustrating to me that there are 100s of different choices for one item that you type in. and having a bite of someones sandwich isnt that big of a deal. its not like i ate my brothers entire lunch. i think youre overestimating what im eating.
I have to agree 100% with 'JayEll' here.

I looked at what you were eating. All those little bites here and handful of peanuts and few cookies here and there all add up. If you want to lose weight you have to get serious about it.

I don't mean to sound rude at all but, I think your in denial a little about your eating habits. I'm just telling you what it looks like from the outside.
bananapancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:33 PM   #14  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I would also agree that you are underestimating your calories. The Buffalo wild wing wrap alone is 440 calories. That day you estimated 1700, but with the bites, tastes and pretzels, etc - it was probably well over 2000.

It's really surprising how many calories are in the BLTs (bites, licks and tastes). For example, one small freihoffer chocolate chip cookie - about the size of a silver dollar - has 60 calories! I about died when I saw that. I put the whole thing in my mouth in one bite.

So, a few cheesy fries here = 50 calories, couple bites of a sub = 40 calories, few bites of ice cream = 50 calories, a tablespoon of peanuts = 50 calories. See how these little nibbles add up? Not to mention all the sodium from restaurant food, you are probably retaining water from that.

It might help you to really buckle down and count the actual calories. Eating out can make it difficult, but try a few days of really clean eating with things you really know the calories for and see what happens.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:56 PM   #15  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

The machiatto too..might be skinny, but still has a good 600+ cals going on
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote