Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-02-2008, 09:19 AM   #1  

Default High Fructose Corn Syrup

Why is HFCS in absolutely everything? I was looking for pickle relish yesterday and couldn't find a single brand without HFCS. Then my husband came home yesterday with a bottle of gin and tonic water so we could make g & t's, when I happened to glance at the calories of the tonic and the ingredient list caught my eye. Also HFCS. It's really getting frustrating trying to put healthy ingredents in your body and having to pay way more to do it (ok, I realize gin and tonic isn't necessarily healthy, but it's so refreshing on a hot day )

And hydrogenated oils are no better. I work hard to avoid them too, but I noticed on a jar of poultry spice that I've been using forever that it had hydrogenated oil in it. I never thought to check the ingredients because I assumed it just had spices in it.

I shop a lot at health food stores, but the prices for items like relish and ketchup are so expensive compared to regular brands.

Anyway, I just needed to vent.
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #2  
it's always something

It's in everything because it's cheap. When we look at the prices of products without it, such as those found in health food stores, they do look more expensive but only because we are used to paying less for junk. But in my personal opinion, that's how much real food is supposed to cost. When we choose cheaper brands that include HFCS as well as various chemical globs, fillers, and poor quality (cheaper) ingredients, we are settling for poor quality food products because the price is lower. Sometimes we get what we pay for

I pay more for higher quality foods and balance it within my budget by buying produce at farmers markets, where it's cheaper and fresher because it's local and there's no middle man.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:37 PM   #3  
it's always something

I guess I'm lucky, I didn't realize all farmers markets didn't include local produce. Ours includes a mix, but I've learned to spot the local farmers and I always zoom in on them. I can buy a whole weeks' worth of fruit and veggies for about 7 to 10 bucks, and I eat a lot of veggies. (I don't eat meat). There's a huge farmers market in Asheville, about an hour away from here, and sometimes I go there with other family members and we buy crates of veggies to share. It works out well with sharing gas, too, so we can still save. I also save by buying beans and grains from the bulk bins, though I do include more expensive exotic beans and grains - I try to balance it. It's too bad local food isn't always available. We had a laugh at the "Fresh Market" recently as we walked through and read the labels on the food - Fresh from Argentina, Fresh from Holland, Fresh from Brazil, etc
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

HFCS is only "cheap" relative to cane sugar in the U.S. because of the sugar import quotas (designed to protect sugar beet growers, but supported vigorously by corn lobbyists).

That's why HFCS isn't very commonly used in other countries. Cane sugar is much less expensive on the global market.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:45 PM   #5  

I just realized our farmers market carries produce from other states. I'm in Colorado and I bought some beautiful plums. I got home and noticed the California sticker on them.

As far as the high fructose corn syrup, I just got irritated because I didn't have a choice. All the brands had hfcs in them and it wasn't worthwhile to drive 6 miles the opposite way from home to go to a health food store.

I also feel bad for people who don't know how bad hfcs is, or can't afford to buy products without it.
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

It's easier to avoid HFCS and other additives if you avoid processed foods altogether. I cook from scratch as much as possible and rarely buy processed or prepared foods.
As for demanding better quality food, the corporations hear us when we speak with our wallets. They are going to make whatever they can that sells, for the lowest price possible, it's their bottom line. They're not in business for our health, but to make money. If we quit buying it, they will quit making it.
I also often hear the argument that the processed unhealthy food is cheaper, so low-income families have no choice but to buy it. I've never understood this. I mean, a pound of potatoes costs less than a pound of potato chips. A dozen eggs is relatively cheap. How filling and cheap is a pound of dried beans?
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Schmoodle, I don't get that either. I was talking to a young woman about eating habits and she said, "apples are too expensive, so I eat chips". I didn't want to get into an arguement, but how in the world do folks arrive at such a conclusion?

I think you can make an argument that lower income people have less time - they are busy working multiple jobs to make ends meet, and cooking from scratch may seem like an impossible burden.

Not that this was the topic .

I have been reading about HFCS. I am pretty much convinced that fresh, from scratch, home cooking is the best for me, so I am not consuming much HFCS.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:56 AM   #8  
Addicted to potato salad!

I feel extra lucky because our area is a new hot spot for Amish families and they are at most of the farmer's markets with their yummy breads made with stone ground flours, but have unfortunate things like honey and probably some sugar...but I prefer that over store bought as I know anything the Amish make is natural made with no preservatives, no chemicals and no HFCS!!

I, too, am PO'd about the amount of HFCS in the products on the shelves. Word to the wise...shop the OUTSIDE of the store (bakery, deli, meat, dairy, etc) and only venture into the inner aisles for things you absolutely need. That is where the hidden sugars are, for the most part.
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:08 AM   #9  
Sherianne

S/C/G: 207/198/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi Everyone,
If you have not seen the documentary titled "King Corn" you should check it out. It explains the industry that created the food additative (HFCS) that is killing Americans.. and making us all have big butts or apple shaped bodies.

I read labels and if HFCS is in the food I take it off my shopping list, forever.

Sheri
Quixotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:17 AM   #10  

Height: 5' 8"

I'm fervently hoping that *they* will start using up all the corn for an alternative fuel. That would drive up the demand for corn so maybe the food industry would have to start looking at alternative sweeteners - agave nectar maybe?
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:41 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma View Post
HFCS is only "cheap" relative to cane sugar in the U.S. because of the sugar import quotas (designed to protect sugar beet growers, but supported vigorously by corn lobbyists).

That's why HFCS isn't very commonly used in other countries. Cane sugar is much less expensive on the global market.
Then why don't they use beet sugar?
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote