Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:43 PM   #1  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Question Garlic Scapes?

So these were included in my CSA box this week. To be honest I've never even heard of them before. They are pretty and they taste very mild compared to the bulb. http://planetgreen.discovery.com/foo...ic-scapes.html. I'm not sure what to try with them though. I got 2 bunches. Any ideas? (The recipe mentioned in the article I link to sounds good too!)

Thanks!
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 327/270/199

Height: 5'11

I've had them and I guess there are suppose to be the newest thing. I didn't really like them. The flavor isn't that much. We chopped them up and put it in with other veggies and also used them in eggs. To me they were a waste of money.
Here we go again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My understanding is they can be used in any recipe and in any way you would green onions, or they can be used in place of garlic in a recipe, but you'd use more.

Our farmers' market had them and they weren't any more expensive than green onion. I plan on buying some if they're still being sold when we get back home (my understanding is that the growing season is short), just to try them. If they were alot more expensive than green onion, I'd probably just buy the green onion.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:21 PM   #4  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
My understanding is they can be used in any recipe and in any way you would green onions.
This is kinda what I was thinking. Thanks.

I had no idea they were "the newest thing". That's funny. A little vegetable being a fad!
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:55 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

The funny thing is, like many "newest things," they're really an "oldest thing." Garlic snapes were not often sent to market, because garlic gardeners in the know kept them for themselves, and those that didn't threw them away.

I think they're resurfacing because of the tight economy, "waste not" philosophies are returning, also with people wanting "something a little different," there seems to be a lot more variety at the farmers' markets and CSA's. While new hybrids and unfamiliar fruits and vegetables are popular, so is rediscovering old "heirloom" varieties also.

I love our farmers' markets because there are alot of asian (mostly Hmong) farmers in the area and they grow alot of vegetables that aren't familiar to a lot of people (though I laughed when someone told me that kohlrabi was a "Hmong" vegetable, as my polish/german/italian family has been growing them in family gardens for a hundred years or more).

Turnip and beet greens, squash blossoms, pea tendrils and things that people once commonly ate, then commonly discarded and are now being eaten again. The fact is that many people never stopped, but I still hear people asking the vendors skeptically, "are you sure you can eat the leaves?"

Last edited by kaplods; 07-31-2008 at 08:55 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:29 PM   #6