Old 07-31-2008, 11:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Default Caffeine?!

Ok, I never was much of a coffee drinker. I'd have tea (probably too much), but never was really into drinking coffee, other than every once in a great while.

Well, the husband and I went on vacation at the beginning of July, and I drank coffee a lot at the B&B we stayed at. For the past few weeks since we've returned, I've kept up the habit.

For the past couple of weeks, I've been consuming anywhere from 16-32 ounces of strong coffee five days a week, after working out and eating breakfast. I found the coffee kept me full 'til lunch, probably just due to the sheer amount of it I was having. That's all in addition to a bunch of water.

Well, at first I noticed I haven't been sleeping as well at night, and now I'm having to pee constantly! Like four times some nights, and literally twice in the past half hour. Some online research after feeling funny this morning has suggested "caffeine intoxication."

Wow. I never really realized it was that bad. I was probably getting a normal amount through foods and tea on a daily basis, and the coffee just put me way over the edge. Anyone else have any experience with things like this? Maybe I'm just one of those people more susceptible to caffeine's side-effects.
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:11 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I drink 20 oz of coffee every morning and have for years and years and years. Caffeine is one of those things that you do build up a tolerance to. And there are some people who are more susceptible to it as well - I can drink it and be fine, but I have a friend who drinks 1/2 the amount I do and it'll make her jittery and edgy.

Caffeine is a diuretic, so that will explain the having to pee (I always have to pee after my morning cup) and if you're sensitive to it, then yeah, it will keep you awake at night. I don't think there's any need to be worried about "caffeine intoxication" - you're probably just not used to it and your body might be a little more sensitive than those who drink it all the time.

If you want the flavor of it, try either drinking decaf, or cutting back on the strength. If I have a 2nd cup during the day, I often mix mine 1/2 coffee with 1/2 hot water. It's weaker, but I still get a little kick w/out all the caffeine.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:14 AM   #3  
Bringin' sexy back!!

S/C/G: 222.6/181.6/155

Height: 5'5

I love my coffee like the previous posted said, its one of those things that bothers some and not others. I think I have built up a tolerance to it. Coffee is something I drink when I feel like eating.
crazy4weightloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:30 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 262/see ticker/153

Height: 5'6"

I used to drink coffee every morning with breakfast. About 3 years ago, I went to the doctor for a heart flutter and he suggested that I give up all caffeine. So, I gave it up and have no more heart flutter. I still drink decaf coffee when I need that coffee taste. And as odd as it sounds, drinking decaf still gives me a burst of energy! I think it's that my brain associated the taste of coffee with more energy or something..... but, I'm one of the few who is affected by caffeine. Last year, I bought some chocolate covered espresso beans (not even thinking about the caffeine). I ate them and half an hour later I was feeling dizzy and almost like I wanted to faint. It then hit me all the espresso beans I had eaten after not having any caffeine of any kind for over 2 years. Yeah.... smart, I know...haha!
LondonJulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:42 AM   #5  

Maybe I'm just drinking too much coffee, too quickly. I can remember back in high school I'd get up early in the morning and drink a cup or two with my mom. But even back then, it was a couple of SMALL cups that were mostly milk and sugar. And that was 70+ pounds ago.

I'll either cut it out or switch to decaf. OR at the very least cut way back.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:05 PM   #6  

I love my coffee too but did once over do it and i felt awful - not just physically but all paranoid and shaky it was not fun - i am trying to only have 2 - 3 coffees a day and drink herbal teas instead - i so alwys need that 11am cup though!
Pieinthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 254.4/241.6/175

I drink anywhere from 1 to 3 pots of coffee a day. I sip on it all day long until it gets cold. I hate cold coffee. So I will make a new pot in order to warm up my cup. I don't usually drink it after 7 pm because it will keep me up at night. Before starting my diet I used vanilla creamer, alot of creamer. But I figured out that the creamer was the culprit putting weight on me over the last couple of years. No more creamer for me. I sure do miss it though. Why waste points on creamer when I could have some food in it's place.
tonyaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:31 PM   #8  

I had the same revelations with creamer, tonyaky...I tried it without once, and just with artificial sweetener, and realized the creamer really didn't add that much to it.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Another thing to consider is that as you age you can become more sensitive to caffiene. My sister and I could consume as much as we liked and still sleep like a log, but at about the age of 30 we both had to start cutting ourselves off earlier in the day so we could sleep. I remember our Mom couldn't drink any coffee after noon or she wouldn't sleep.

Also, certain drugs/herbal remedies can cause you to be more caffiene sensitive. Whenever I'm taking an aptogen (rhodiola, ginseng, etc.) 1/2 a cup makes me jittery.

If I were you I'd cut back, but don't do it too quickly or you'll end up with a withdrawl headache. Maybe try drinking half decaf/half regular. BTW, decaf does still have caffiene in it, just not as much.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:53 PM   #10  

I'm hoping it's all still so new to me that I won't have the withdrawal symptoms...but we'll see.