South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 07-29-2008, 10:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 291/290/155

Height: 5'6"

Post South Beach Foods-Phase 1??

I bought the SB book a few days ago and after I finished reading it, I went to the store to buy my foods. My biggest question is when can I eat the SB food that are in the store? The book I bought is paperback and is a few years old I figure. Since written they have put these foods on the market. The foods look yummy but not sure when they are allowed.

Also, I look on the back of packages and am wondering what is a GOOD and a BAD gram amounts of carbs? And lastly...for now...lol...I thought my sister-in-law said Whole Wheat Pasta was okay to eat. Is it and what Phase? Whew, day one and getting confused....

I am coming to the experts for help, so in advance, thanks for your help.

P.S. As I read what I just posted I came back to edit it. I saw my name and I was a member since Aug 2004. It hit me hard that since 2004 I joined here and have tried so many diets and am still overweight and sad about it. I now feel hopeless that yet again I will fail. Please to all who read this, please help do this and any advise would be very welcome.

Last edited by ZanyJane; 07-29-2008 at 10:34 PM.
ZanyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

ZanyJane, remember, on SB we do not count carb grams, we just make sure we are eating the right kind of carbs. This is not a low carb diet, but a good carb diet.
The Kraft SB products have the phase they are allowed in printed on the package, I think. I stay away from them for the most part because, although they say South Beach, some of the ingredients are oddly things we want to stay away from to be truly on plan. I believe that none of them are okay for Phase I though, except possibly the sugar-free drink mixes. I could be wrong about that though, because I have limited experience with them.
You will introduce whole grain products in Phase 2, so ww pasta will be allowed in that phase, but no grains are allowed in Phase I. If you look through our FAQ section, you will find the most recent food lists (there are updated versions, particularly if you have the first edition of the book), sample menus, answers to lots of common questions, etc. There are things now allowed on Ph1 that were not allowed originally (ex. dairy), so make sure you check out the food list.

Just saw your edit. I don't know what plans you have tried in the past, but I can tell you that I truly believe that South Beach is a plan that is easy to follow, works, and helps you to change your eating habits for good, which is the only healthy way to take off weight and keep it off.
Don't look at your past efforts as failures, look at them as practice for this time, the time it will work for you. It really doesn't matter how long you have been at this, what matters is that in a year you will be healthier than you are now.

Last edited by Schmoodle; 07-29-2008 at 10:40 PM.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:03 PM   #3  

thank you...it is awful to feel this way. I just want to be comfortable with myself. I am sick of being overweight and sick of looking in the mirror and wondering who that is I am looking at.

I have heard so many good things about this diet plan and am going to give it a try. I am glad I have this site to come to for advise, food questions and support.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:55 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

to The Beach. Just be sure to read the stickies in the FAQ Section.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:31 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

, ZanyJane! The best advice I can give you is to make up your mind that you are going to really, really DO IT this time, and plan ahead. Make sure you have some tasty meals planned to keep you from getting bored, and on Phase 1, eat until you're satisfied. Be sure to include plenty of beans and dairy in your diet every day, and make sure you eat at least 4 1/2 cups of vegetables every day. We have a current Phase 1 thread going, please join in and share your triumphs and concerns with the others that are doing Phase 1. It will help you immensely. And join us in our daily chat, too!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:12 PM   #6  
slow and steady?

S/C/G: 260/234/150

Height: 5'4"

Hey there! Welcome to this part of the forum. I'm pretty new to South Beach (Just started phase 2). I was trying to do calorie counting before this. I got stuck in a rut and gained back about half of what I had lost (that sucked!). However, in just 2 weeks of following South Beach to a T, I've lost all the weight I had gained back since I started trying to eat healthier again.

It's so much easier than anything else I've tried right off the bat. Good luck, and definitely read the Stickies!
errantbehavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:56 AM   #7  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

there are a few sbd prepared foods that are ok for P1, mostly frozen meals and the drink mixes, if I remember correctly. All of the SBD foods have what phases they are appropriate for on the back of the box...
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:33 AM   #8  

Thank-you all for your advise. I will try my hardest and look forward to read all your advise and words of support.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 227/227/140

Height: 5'9"

Back on the Beach - Day 1, Phase 1. I went on South Beach about 4-5 years ago, and it worked. Over time, I started getting back into bad habits, and the pounds came back.

So...here I am. Halfway through day 1. I'm having the ginger chicken tonight. I had the Greek Salad for dinner - very good.

My goal is to lose 80 pounds...I'd like to lose 30-40 by the end of this year.

Glad to be back!!
Rotobabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:41 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 227/227/140

Height: 5'9"

My favorite recipe was the dessert "creme" recipes. I try and make it easy by making 6 cups at the beginning of the week (my husband and I are both eating it, so it lasts for 6 days).

Pick your favorite "creme" and then make it this way:

2 cups ricotta cheese
4 cups cottage cheese
other flavorings for recipe
blend until smooth and store in cheese containers.
Rotobabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:06 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoodle View Post
There are things now allowed on Ph1 that were not allowed originally (ex. dairy), so make sure you check out the food list.
I did SB years ago with some success and recently picked up the book from the library again. I don't see or remember dairy in Phase 1. Was there a new edition of the book I missed?
webcreatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:29 PM   #12  
Shooting for the moon

S/C/G: 210/151/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

There is a new book - South Beach Supercharged. A few changes were made. There is an FAQ section at the top of the SB forum. Click on that and you can see the revised food lists.

HTH
Thin4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:20 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 245/233/150

Height: 5' 3.5"

One more comment on the Kraft SBD foods - the Oscar Meyer turkey kielbasa is ok for phase 1. It does fit the turkey sausage requirement of 3-6 grams of fat per 60 gram serving. When I bought it I was just looking at the nutritional data and when I got home I noticed the SB label for phases 1, 2 and 3. I personally LOVE it - nice spices and quite filling.
erikalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:05 PM   #14  

I didnt really enjoy the SBD all that much. I hope it works out for you!
soonergrl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:21 PM   #15  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Height: 5'2"

Good for you for getting back on a plan! I think you will really like South Beach Diet...especially once you are past Phase 1. I don't think of it really as a "diet" though because for me, it's a permanent change of eating habits. It is a very healthy way of eating...a way of eating that everyone can benefit by staying on the rest of their lives! GOOD LUCK and think positive.

Also, remember that it's not all-or-nothing, it's just do the best you can as often as possible. If you have a bad meal, a bad day, etc. don't let that throw you off plan, just get back with it as quickly as possible and keep with it! You can do it!!! You and your health are worth it!
Cheree is offline   Reply With Quote