Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-30-2008, 12:17 PM   #1  

Unhappy Is bad food making me ill?

So, I was going strong on WW for over a year. I slowly lost 53 lbs. I was eating healthy - low sugar, high fiber, energy dense. Good stuff. Then, because my confidence was finally up, I made a career change and started to pursue an acting career. But I was doing shows at night and on weekends and rarely had time to grocery shop and cook. I started eating on the run and eating more convenience foods. Soon I was eating fast food, frozen meals, candy and junk again.

So now, 6 months after starting theatre, I've gained 11 pounds (not a good career move) and I feel like butt. My body aches. I get headaches. I never feel rested. Even my fingers hurt! Extreme fatigue...to the point that I am often near tears from tired. I get rashes in the crevices of my body and my skin breaks out frequently. Some of it can just be working so many hours but has bad food ever made anyone else feel so crappy?

And the really big question is, how can I get back to eating healthy on a SEVERELY challenged budget while eating on the go? Crappy convenience food is cheap food but it's not helping me. What are my other options?
soulnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:36 PM   #2  
Formerly know as Fauxtini

S/C/G: 369.2/ticker/235

Height: 6'1

I totally know what you are talking about ! I never realized how much the ol' convienece foods reak havoc on the body! I had headaches all my life.. they were getting worse and worse and I swear that since I have starting my new lifestyle of more natural healthy foods and whatnot... not a headache in months.! I went from crippling throbbing headaches to nothing. and not to mention I feel more alive and have energy and dont feel like i just wanna lay in bed.

I had a slight relapse with an 11 pound weight gain too, actually! hehe But during that time, I felt just how you are describing. I bet if you give it a week back on the healthy living lifestyle of your choice you will notice an energy boost and whatnot.

good luck, hun! It's worth the work! Maybe try bringing like fruit and veggies with you for your evening work, or stuff for protien shakes.. quick to drink and super filling. There are some protien bars that have high protien and low sugar that are SUPER filling. I can't even eat a whole one efore I feel FULL! It would be at least a better option in the fast food and whatnot.

Anyway, I feel your pain, and hope that my ramling has helped answer your question. What you feed your body, makes you body respond in a million ways.

Dr. Weil's books are pretty good when talking abouthealing your body through a healthy lifestyle. Hes a little extreme, but has a lot of good points and ideas. Im reading '8 weeks to your optimum health' give it a try

take care!
mountain mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SEE TICKER

Height: 5'4"

I am absolutly(sp?) convinced that fast food is poison!! Did you know that most fast food chains will add preseravtives so they look apealling, flavorings to make us eat it, and chemicals that make us addicted! Not to mention the fat! The only "fast food" I trust kinda is Subway.

My advice is to get organized. I know it's hard, but we are well worth it. Get yourself some small contaniers and fill them with veggies, fruit, nuts, seeds, and some healthy dips, and take them with you! I know that there are some fast food chains that are serving a more healthy menu, and will usually give you the nutritional info if you ask for it. Educate yourself as much as possible as to the benifits of "Real Food". It's actually cheaper to buy fresh food than it is to eat fast food all the time.

Good luck to you!
HoneyMustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:38 PM   #4  
Formerly know as Fauxtini

S/C/G: 369.2/ticker/235

Height: 6'1

OH! nuts and seeds! Good one! I forgot about them! ( how could I? They are awesome! and filling!!)
mountain mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/161/144

Height: 5'9"

Instead of running into a fast food restaurant, run into a grocery store and buy a piece of fruit like a banana, a can of soup, a salad, a bun, some deli roasted chicken, anything like that! It works out to be less expensive that way, because you have to put it together yourself!
Kofarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:03 PM   #6  
Changing for the better

Try cooking meals in advance - like one big batch every couple days or every week. Stick food in the freezer and then grab it as you're heading out the door; if you have access to a microwave you can heat up a quick, hot meal in just a few minutes. Stock up on fruits, veggies, nuts/seeds, yogurt, and other healthy snacks at the grocery store and take them with you when you know you won't have much time to eat.

I think many of us underestimate the power of food - my diet used to consist of a lot of crappy meals, and I would get stomachaches and indigestion pretty much every day, in addition to headaches and just being tired all the time. Since I changed my diet in May, I have not gotten ONE stomachache!! (Well, except for when I just eat too fast). I feel so much better and I know it is because my diet is a lot cleaner - lower sugar, lower fat, and less white carbs.

Make sure you are exercising at least 4x/week as well; food is important but you need to get your heart rate up to burn off those pounds!!
Kitegirl24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 222/209.8/130

Height: 5'4

Yes absolutely it is possible that you're feeling bad from all the grease and etc. I recently went off the wagon and gained back close to 20 pounds. I am back on plan due to me having TERRIBLE heartburn from all the fast food/convienence foods I was eating. My heartburn/acid reflux problems are much better in the past two weeks I've been improving and getting back OP and most days it is non-existent. You have some great suggestions here on what to do for a quick meal. And I will be keeping these in the back of my mind now as well since a lot of gas stations also have "deli" sandwiches and fruit available now.
blondebritbrat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:59 PM   #8  

Thanks all! What's so hard is that I don't always have access to a microwave. And I get sooooooo sick of the usual salad and deli sandwhiches for cold meals on the go. I will definitely get back to nuts and fruit. I feel sooooo much better when I'm not eating crap. I don't mind cooking if I can find a place to heat the stuff up. I am done with my current show and have a 2 week break before the next one starts. If I can use that time to get back on track I feel like I'll have a good chance of feeling more like myself again. Thanks again everyone!
soulnik is offline   Reply With Quote