Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-29-2008, 08:04 PM   #1  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Thumbs up And That One Thing Today Is .......

Reflecting today on my past year of better choices I got to thinking of some of the things I learned here at 3FC. So many people losing weight and getting fit in different ways. Many of you have lost in ways that just would not work for me, just as my way wouldn't work for you

I have been thinking of starting this for a while, to see if it would "sell"

A thread where each day, if we have time, we post just one thing that helped us today or in the past, to make our journey a bit easier. Just a quick helpful tip that may help someone else.

ONE EXCHANGE ~ Instead of this I had that

ONE RECIPE

ONE BIT OF ADVICE

ONE COMPLIMENT

ONE ARTICLE WE READ

ONE SCRIPTURE VERSE or QUOTE

Anything that might help someone else.

REPEAT is good too! ~ I don't know how many times I was told in various ways that smoking was not good for me...it was always in my head....it just took a long time to get through but it did!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:07 PM   #2  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Today my tip is ~

Just because that second large pizza is half price, doesn't mean it's a good deal to buy!

Somehow we will pay....we will pay!
Old 07-29-2008, 08:19 PM   #3  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

My one thing that helped today is a recipe: Spicy Green Beans and Sausage. We're having it for dinner and I already know it's delish because tonight's dinner is leftover from Sunday. I've been looking forward to it since Sunday, when we ate the first half of it.

So this recipe has helped me in two ways:
  1. Since dinner is already prepared, I can go to the late yoga class at my gym (and for me, it's late yoga or no yoga). With the yoga class in addition to my regular workout, that's 2 1/2 hours that I'll be at the gym, which is 2 1/2 hours that I won't be eating. And I have an awesome dinner waiting for me when I finish my workout.
  2. Having go-to, low calorie recipes that I love love love makes staying in my calorie range a lot easier. There is nothing about this recipe that tastes low calorie and the servings are generous, but it comes in at only around 300 calories per serving. That leaves so much room for snacks during the day; the whole day is a lot easier to get through when I don't have to save a lot of calories for dinner.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 07-29-2008 at 08:41 PM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:28 PM   #4  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Thanks BARBARA! I have already printed out the recipe!
Old 07-29-2008, 09:35 PM   #5  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Thanks from me, too, Barbara. I think I spotted the recipe in the Food section but I forgot to copy it. I have green beans sitting in the fridge so this comes in very handy.

My tip: use tofu as much as you can. It is easy to "hide" in other stuff, it is low cal and has a good amount of protein.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:47 PM   #6  

S/C/G: (Preg 205)/163/150/140

Height: 5' 6"

My ONE THING I've learned since joining 3FC's is I'm not looking for motivation, I'm making a commitment. I can make a commitment...I've never been able to stay motivated...
get fit in ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:58 PM   #7  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

ONE BIT OF ADVICE - Trying something new and realizing it doesn't work for you is not failure, it is progress and growth
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:28 PM   #8  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

I've learned that counting calories really works. Who knew?
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:56 AM   #9  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

my two pence for the day: YES exercise is HARD. But YES it is WORTH IT. Just do it
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:20 AM   #10  
No description available.

My one bit of advice: If you go off plan, get back on immediately. I was starving yesterday afternoon and I ate a brownie and two marshmallows and immediately wanted more. I dug in my heels and ate some cottage cheese with walnuts and blueberries. It took care of my hunger and my cravings and I took back control.

My other piece of advice: Don't let yourself get to the starving point!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:01 AM   #11  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

My advice: set small, measureable, achievable goals for yourself. Sometimes when our goal is too big, it seems unattainable and we give up in despair. So set small goals -- I want to walk 30 minutes, 3 times this week. Or, I will write down every single thing I eat and drink today. And it's important to acknowledge and celebrate the little milestones! Once you achieve the small goals, set more ... and the small steps will build into big ones.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:29 AM   #12  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBN View Post
My advice: set small, measureable, achievable goals for yourself. Sometimes when our goal is too big, it seems unattainable and we give up in despair. So set small goals -- I want to walk 30 minutes, 3 times this week. Or, I will write down every single thing I eat and drink today. And it's important to acknowledge and celebrate the little milestones! Once you achieve the small goals, set more ... and the small steps will build into big ones.
Oh, and to add on to my own advice ...

It's helpful to set goals around what we can control -- we CAN control our behaviors such as what and when we eat, and how we manage our physical activity. We CAN'T always control what the scale reads, and it's only one measure of our success anyway. So, if we work on improving our behaviors (diet / exercise) then eventually the scale will show that. Don't live and die by the scale, it is just one tool.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:45 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 297.4/ticker/190

Height: 5'3"

One of my biggest things was social eating. My family and I have alot of get togethers for birthdays and holidays so these are the things that helped me with social get togethers:

1. Try to have a say so in the menu. When the menu is being planned suggest lean pork loin chops or grilled chicken and for sides you can have corn on the cob or other grilled veggies...kabobs also work nice. or a lean cut of steak. My family was in the rut of fatty burgers and hot dogs and ribs...baked beans, potato salad, etc. Sometimes we still have burgers but I buy extra lean ground beef and get whole wheat buns....or turkey dogs!

2. If you can't have a say so in the menu or the menu is already planned....bring a huge healthy salad! You are contributing to the party and get to eat healthy food....Have a salad and maybe a small portion of the food being served....or none of it at all..its up to you!

3. BIRTHDAY CAKE!!!! YUM! I bring a 100 calorie pack of those yummy chocolate cupcakes with the cream filling and chocolate icing! They are soooo good! When everyone else has their cake...I do to...but without all the extra calories!

4. My family also gets together A TON during football season! Lots of appitizers and food....I bring a veggie tray with dip and a fruit tray.....that way everyone including me can have some healthy options...I try to stay away from the chips and rotel dip, the mozz. cheese sticks, and hot wings!

5. Thanksgiving and Christmas - Well first of all Turkey is good for you! Dressing on the other hand isn't...LOL! BUT we only have it these two times a year so I do plan on having a small serving along with turkey...but the rest will be green beans, corn, and other good stuff! But I will work out a little extra in preperation for these meals on those weeks!!!

6. When eating out, I decide what I'm going to eat before I get there and I don't look at the menu...I just order! If I look at the menu it is harder to resist those deep fried chicken strips and french fries...or cheeseburgers!!!

Last edited by McKenziesmomma; 07-30-2008 at 10:47 AM.
McKenziesmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:53 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

I've learned to not feel guilty to care enough about my own body to turn down food I do not want to place in it.
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:57 AM   #15  
Formerly know as Fauxtini

S/C/G: 369.2/ticker/235

Height: 6'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsqlchick View Post
I agree with that; I splurge sometimes and I refuse to feel guilty for it. Eating a sour cream chicken enchilada dinner with refried beans and mexican rice is *not* going to kill me as long as I keep it down to 1-2 times a month MAX.
I have a healthy chicken enchilada recipe! I will post it for you!! It was in my GI diet recipe book and it's my fave recipe in there!! Now, I dont know what plan you are on or what works for you.. but it's all healthy ingredients and in moderation and still DARN YUMMMMMMYYYY! and filling !

My recipe of the day!!

Chicken Enchiladas

2 tbsp canola oil
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp salt and pepper
4 skinless boneless chicken breatulars cut into small bitesize strips
2 onions sliced
1 red and green pepper thinly sliced
1 jalapeno pepper minced
1 cup drained and diced tomatoes
1/2 cup shredded light cheddar or monterey jack cheese
8 large whole wheet tortillas

Toppings
1/2 cup shredded light cheddar or jack cheese
1/2 sour cream

in a bowl combine 1tbsp canola oil, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. add chicken and coat with the mixture. ( i find letting it marinate for overnight or the day makes it extra yummy!)

Heat 1 tbsp of canola oil in pan and cook chicken.

reduce heat to medium and cook onions, red, green peppers and jalapenos until tender.. 10 minutes-ish.

Put the cooked veggies in a big bowl, add in chicken, cheese and tomatoes and mix up.

Divide amoung tortillas and roll up ( i find closing the ends of the tortillas is good to do). Place them tightly into a greased 9x13 baking dish. cover with foil and cook at 400 for about 15 minutes.
remove foil, sprinkle with topping cheese and bake for 10 more minutes or until cheese is bubbly and tortillas are crisp.
Serve with sour cream.
mountain mama is offline   Reply With Quote