South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 07-29-2008, 03:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 263/263/140

Height: 5'4" Age: 41

Default Strawberries - Frozen or Refrigerated?

I have noticed that when my mom buys reg refrigerated strawberries they only last like two to three days.. I went to go have some strawberries this afternoon and they had green mold on them, gross.. had to throw them away. My mom also bought frozen strawberries which I think are better cause they won't go bad. I just took out some strawberries to thaw out and will prob eat them for tomorrow's snack. I looked on the bag and the ingredients are just strawberries, nothing added, so I assume they are safe.
JellyBean32882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 148/133/125

Height: 5'4"

As long as it is just strawberries, they are fine. They do keep better! I like to use them frozen with milk and splenda to do a "milkshake"!
pookynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:11 PM   #3  

There is nothing wrong with frozen fruit as long as there is no added sugar. One grocery store around here adds sugar to their frozen fruit but most don't. I typically by fresh if I am making a strawberry pie or just eating them but I like the frozen ground up in the food processor with yogurt and sometimes other fruit. My son really loves it that way.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:15 PM   #4  
Lady-in-training!

S/C/G: Heaviest: 215/202/168/130

Height: 5'5"

As a side note, I love frozen fruit and adore strawberries, but for some reason I've never had a good-tasting frozen strawberry, even though other berries seem to taste even better frozen. I wonder why, maybe I'm purchasing the wrong brand (although I've tried Dole's and Trader Joe's).
gtech2mit10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:15 PM   #5  
Ann Marie

S/C/G: 263 (Feb of '06)/236/170

Height: 5' 5"

During strawberry season here in New York (only about 2 weeks long) I buy fresh picked strawberries and freeze them either whole or cut up. You just wash and let them air dry and put in airtight containers and freeze.
brn2bthn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:38 PM   #6  
Bonjour!

S/C/G: 190/Ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Fresh strawberries go fuzzy faster if you leave them in the container and/or wash them. When you bring them home, put them in the flattest bowl you can find, and try not to pile them on top of each other. Don't wash them until you are ready to eat them.

Hope this helps. And frozen fruit with nothing added is just fine.
Belle Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:26 PM   #7  

Those green bags really work. I've kept strawberries and blueberries for 2 weeks in them. Frozen strawberries get really mushy and nasty (just my opinion) when thawed before eating.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:41 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I freeze my own strawberries too, during strawberry season, and I buy the bags of unsweetened frozen at the grocery store. They are good in smoothies, yogurt, compote, etc, but to thaw and eat plain, they are kind of mooshy.
I don't keep strawberries or tomatoes in the fridge either, it messes up the texture, IMO.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #9  
TimeForChange

S/C/G: 240/225/150

Height: 5,4"

The only difference with the frozen is they last longer but I find they are mushier when thawed so i usually use them in smoothies....so good
greeneyes490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:28 PM   #10  

Mmmmm....my favorite fruit!

I'm going to buy more tomorrow. I prefer fresh over frozen. The frozen makes me ill. My DH buys them sometimes but they just stay in there forever.

Fresh strawberries never go bad in my house because everyone loves them.

I have smoothies to make this week and I can't wait!

Last edited by SunshineCA; 07-29-2008 at 09:30 PM.
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:34 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 263/263/140

Height: 5'4" Age: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCA View Post
Mmmmm....my favorite fruit!

I'm going to buy more tomorrow. I prefer fresh over frozen. The frozen makes me ill. My DH buys them sometimes but they just stay in there forever.

Fresh strawberries never go bad in my house because everyone loves them.

I have smoothies to make this week and I can't wait!

LOL, nobody really eats them in the house, every once in a while but not daily. I don't think anyone in my family eats fruits that much.

I think next time my mother gets strawberries or my dad I'm gonna freeze them, then just thaw 3/4 cups everyday to eat.
JellyBean32882 is offline   Reply With Quote