Old 07-28-2008, 08:11 AM   #1  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Smile This Weeks' Healthiest Food - GREEN BEANS

http://whfoods.org/

This week we celebrate green beans as one of the World's Healthiest Foods. Green beans are one of only a few varieties of beans that can be eaten fresh. They are picked when they are still immature, and the inner bean is just beginning to form. This is when they are richest in nutrition and flavor.

Health Benefits of Green Beans
Green beans, while quite low in calories (just 43.75 calories in a whole cup), are loaded with enough nutrients to not only power up the Jolly Green Giant, but to put a big smile on his face. Green beans are an excellent source of vitamin C, vitamin K and manganese. Plus green beans are very good source of vitamin A (notably through their concentration of carotenoids including beta-carotene), dietary fiber, potassium, folate, and iron. And, green beans are a good source of magnesium, thiamin, riboflavin, copper, calcium, phosphorus, protein, omega-3 fatty acids and niacin.

Helping You Bone Up

The vitamin K provided by green beans-25% of the daily value in one cup-is important for maintaining strong bones. Vitamin K1 activates osteocalcin, the major non-collagen protein in bone. Osteocalcin anchors calcium molecules inside of the bone. Therefore, without enough vitamin K1, osteocalcin levels are inadequate, and bone mineralization is impaired.

I LOVE GREEN BEANS!!!! LOVE THEM!!!!

They are a huge staple in my diet. I munch on them raw throughout the day. I take a baggie full of them where ever I go. And here are just a few ways I love to cook them:

ROASTED GREEN BEANS

Make a lot, they really are yummy.

-Green beans, rinsed and trimmed.
-Spray a large cooking sheet with cooking spray.
-Lay beans on in as much as a single layer as possible.
-Spray beans with some more cooking spray
-Sprinkle with a little sea salt
-Place in 400 degree oven for about 30-40 mins, total, turning every now and then, til they get almost brownish and wrinkly.
-About 1/2 way through, sprinkle on lots of fresh chopped garlic and finely diced onions, spray with more cooking spray. Roast further til done, turning every now and then.
-*Every now and then I will get lazy and 1/2 through I will just sprinkle with garlic and onion powder and forgo the fresh stuff
-ENJOY!!

It may take a few times til you get it down "pat" and find the way that you like them best.

CARMALIZED GREEN BEANS

-In a large pot, put in a little olive oil and cooking spray, lightly saute' a whole head of garlic that's been peeled and crushed.
-Add tons of trimmed green beans, about 4 lbs and coat with the garlic and oil
-Add appox. 1/4 cup of orange juice and 1/4 cup of sodium reduced soy sauce
-Cook on a lowish flame, til liquid is almost completely gone, stirring occasionally. Green beans should be very limp.

SPANISH GREEN BEANS

INGREDIENTS:
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 pounds fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch
lengths
3 cups canned diced tomatoes with their juice
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
3 tablespoons pine nuts, optional
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper, to taste

DIRECTIONS:
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic; cook and stir until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat if garlic begins to brown. Add green beans, then continue to cook and stir until bright green but not quite tender, about 4 minutes.

2. Mix in tomatoes, lemon juice and pine nuts, and season with chives, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer gently uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf before serving.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:05 AM   #2  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

I could eat roasted green beans (I just use salt, pepper and olive oil) like french fries. So delicious!
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:05 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've been getting green beans from my CSA every week for the last month, so I've been eating quite a few of them. I roast them in my toaster oven as I can't stand the thought of turning on the oven with the heat.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:27 PM   #4  
Mind over platter

S/C/G: 215/195/144

Height: 5'5"

Wow FABULOUS sounding green beans! I will try that, thanks!
Manick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:40 AM   #5  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

We are getting a nice crop of green beans out of the garden now. Last month I got some absolutely fabulous Romano beans (wide, flat green beans) at the farmers' market. When I get really fresh green beans like that, I love them just blanched in boiling water for a few minutes, then tossed with a little sea salt.

One of my favorite ways to eat green beans is Spicy Green Beans with Sausage. It's a fabulous; one of my favorite dishes, actually. Every year I'm excited for green beans to be in season so we can have it again. We're having it this week, in fact.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 07-29-2008 at 03:41 AM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:11 AM   #6  
Just Me

Barbara - I might try that with some gimmelean sausage. It sounds fun. Tomatoes and green beans go together so well.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:57 AM   #7  
In love with...THE GYM!!

S/C/G: 243/213/150

Height: 5'8"

To this day, I cannot choke down green beans. No matter how hard I try. But I am going to try the roasted green beans. I figure if I still can't eat 'em, my kids will inhale them!

..I actually DID like them. And the kids inhaled them like I thought they would!

Last edited by julie99s; 07-29-2008 at 12:06 PM.
julie99s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

I LOVE green beans. They are really one of my favorite vegetables. My favorite way to cook them is to get fresh beans, snap them, and boil them with water to cover and pelled potatos. (You can also add flavor by adding a ham bone if you have a leftover one from the holiday)
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:15 PM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie99s View Post
To this day, I cannot choke down green beans. No matter how hard I try. But I am going to try the roasted green beans. I figure if I still can't eat 'em, my kids will inhale them!

..I actually DID like them. And the kids inhaled them like I thought they would!

Isn't roasting just the greatest!!!! I am sooo glad you liked them!
Old 07-31-2008, 11:15 AM   #10  
Bringin' sexy back!!

S/C/G: 222.6/181.6/155

Height: 5'5

I love doing greenbeans and feta cheese with a little bit of soy sauce. Yum!
crazy4weightloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:42 PM   #11  
Just Me

Umm... I just roasted a lb of green beans and I ate them all 'oops'

I looked up the calorie count and it is only 140 calories, woo! How many things can you say you've eaten a lb of and it is less than 200 calories?
Old 08-01-2008, 02:32 PM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Umm... I just roasted a lb of green beans and I ate them all 'oops'

I looked up the calorie count and it is only 140 calories, woo! How many things can you say you've eaten a lb of and it is less than 200 calories?

Just incredible, isn't is? And I thoroughly, thoroughly enjoy them. If I look back and think of the times where I ate an entire lb or even a 1/2, of cookies, or cake or nuts or fried chicken or what have you, if I had only eaten a lb of green beans instead. Oish. Life would have been a whole lot different.

When you know better you do better, is all I can say. I guess though, you have to first WANT to do better. Whatever.

Glad you enjoyed your green beans.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:33 PM   #13