South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 07-29-2008, 08:19 AM   #1  

Default What new vegetables have you "discovered" on SBD?

I've never been a huge vegetable fan.

My list, pre-SBD was pretty short and standard:

- Green beans
- (LOVE) corn on the cob
- Tomatoes
- Lettuce
- carrots
- cauliflower
- cucumbers

That's about it for "standards" that I ate on a regular basis. I've been trying to branch out, and be a little more adventurous (not to mention, find ways to keep myself full, and get in 4 1/2 cups of veggies!) I've only been doing SBD for 3 weeks, but I've found some veggies that I had never even tried before, but really like!

- Radishes - Had them before, but not something I eat often - but they are great!

- Snap Peas - Due to some texture issues, I have an extreme aversion to peas. I just "assumed" that Snap Peas were like those horrid things that come in the can. But, I found a package at Kroger marked down to $1.49, so figured I should try them - they are really good - and not mushy at all!

- Zucchini - had some last week raw - it was tasty! Tonight I'm trying a squash/zucchini combo. on the grill.

I have had spaghetti squash, and liked it, but fought like heck to cut it. I figured out the trick on the recipe board, so I'll be trying that someday as well!

Anyone else have any favorites / newly discovered veggies?
kshe78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:25 AM   #2  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

i learned to ROAST cauliflower... love it all the time now...

i also learned that l love avocado which is not a veggie but something new for me since SBD

i've always been a huge veggie fan.... veggies were not my problem....
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:43 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Over the winter I discovered that I love mashed turnips.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I've always loved most vegetables, so I haven't discovered any new ones since being on SBD, but I have discovered new ways of cooking them!

I still can't stomach okra though. Blech!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:04 AM   #5  
TimeForChange

S/C/G: 240/225/150

Height: 5,4"

Before SB I pretty much had corn,broccoli, rapini and potatoes......but now one of my favorites is roasted califlower (roasting it just changes it completely), asperagus, cabbage, string beans and mushrooms.
greeneyes490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:06 AM   #6  
Determined to lose!

hahahah, I'm discovering beans!!!!!! um, not a veggie, but wow! especially chick peas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! had my nephew try them, he wanted them for his salad .
Loriann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:35 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 148/133/125

I have always been a veggie fan, but am really enjoying the motivation to keep eating them and especially all the new ways to cook them. I gotta try that roasted cauliflower......evoo salt pepper in the oven?

anyway, I did try patty pan squash for the first time...very strange and hard to peel, but.....mmmm! Also, I know beans are not a "veggie" but am enjoying those for the first time in my life. I really like the mash recipe to make the cakes (from the first book). i saw a recipe in a magazine for kale "chips" i am gonna try, will let y'all know if it is any good!
pookynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:47 AM   #8  

Oh! I haven't heard of the roasted cauliflower - I'll have to check that one out! I have learned about mashed cauliflower - that was great, too!

I've never eaten turnips or asparagus, but will. I was actually going to try asparagus this week, but it was $3.99/pound at Kroger, and I think it's $1.99/pound at Publix, so I didn't buy it the other day. Have to go tonight for more salad fixings, so will grab some then.

It's a whole new world I've opend up for myself. Whodathunkit?
kshe78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:23 AM   #9  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

to roast the cauliflower:

set oven to around 425

break the cauliflower florets into small pieces
put in the roasting pan with a little canola oil (evoo would work too)
season. we like garlic powder onion powder and black pepper I use salt after cooking and occasionally add parmesan cheese

cook 20 minutes
stir
cook 20 more minutes or until brown and crispy

omg i can eat a whole head of it.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:38 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 148/133/125

thanks so much, can't wait to try it,sounds easy too! i think i will make it tonight! mmmmm
pookynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:58 PM   #11  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

I grew up eating all kinds of veggies my parents and grandparents grew in the gardens. (we helped plant, weed and pick as well) I only have 1 veggy I don't like--beets.
I have discovered Fennel, I had never had it before and I love it roasted with other veggies.
I also didn't like radishes growing up, but I can eat them thinly sliced on a salad now.
I had never had cooked radishes, they are quite tasty. I like to put them in with a roast instead of potatoes. The beef juices flavor the radishes much like a potato would be flavored.
I also had not had spaghetti squash. It is good, I enjoyed other squash and I like the subtle "squashy" flavor with marinara, better than I like ww pasta.
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:20 PM   #12  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

I discovered mustard greens last week. I bought a fresh frozen bag, cooked them in water with chunks of yellow squash and celery, then drained off the water and sauteed it with some garlic, bit of smart balance margarine, onion, and seasonings. DELICIOUS. Used the leftovers for breakfast in a deliciously green egg scramble.

Cauliflower is another thing I never really had before... but I mashed it with sourcream and cheese and garlic and onion and MMMMMMMMMMMMM. It was so delicious, it was beyond delicious. It's like my new favorite side dish.

I'm gonna try that recipe Ladynessa posted above, the roasted cauliflower with the garlic and onion powder and parm cheese... mmm, now THAT sounds sooo delicious.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote