Old 07-27-2008, 02:19 AM   #1  

Default Tofu Cacciatore (Phase 1)

Hello everyone! I got this recipe in my inbox from the South Beach diet website and wanted to share this with you. I haven't tried it yet but it's something I definitely want to add to my upcoming menu. If anyone tries this before I do, please let me know how it comes out.

Bon appetit!

Tofu Cacciatore

Tofu is a chameleon — it's an extremely versatile ingredient because it takes on the flavors of the foods it's cooked with. So it's ideal, whether you're whipping up an Italian dish, a nouveau American creation, a Mexican meal, or any other cuisine. Need some inspiration? Here is a recipe that takes advantage of tofu's versatility!

Tofu Cacciatore (Phase 1)

Serves 2

Description
Cacciatore means "hunter-style." But if you're not a hunter, take some solace after a hard day's hunt (work) with tofu instead of pheasant or hare.

Ingredients
1/2 pound firm light tofu, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1/4 medium onion, sliced
1/4 red bell pepper, sliced
1/4 green bell pepper, sliced
1 tablespoon white wine
1/2 large clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 pinch of allspice
1/2 can (14 ounces) stewed tomatoes, drained
1 teaspoon tomato paste
Sprig rosemary, for garnish

Instructions
Cover a 17x11-inch baking sheet with paper towels. Place the tofu in a single layer on the towels. Cover the tofu with paper towels and pat down on the tofu until dry. Remove and discard all the paper towels and place the tofu back on the baking sheet.

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Heat a large skillet coated with olive oil cooking spray over medium heat. Add the onion and bell peppers and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Add the wine, garlic, basil, oregano, and allspice and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.

Heat another large skillet coated with olive oil cooking spray over medium heat. Add the tofu and sauté for 3 minutes or until lightly browned on both sides. Place the browned tofu slices in a 13x9-inch baking dish and cover with the tomato sauce.

Bake for 1 hour, or until cooked through. Garnish with the rosemary.

Nutritional Information
120 calories
1 g total fat (0 g sat)
0 mg cholesterol
19 g carbohydrate
10 g protein
3 g fiber
540 mg sodium

Last edited by SunshineCA; 07-27-2008 at 07:17 PM.
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

mmm I'm not a south beacher but that sounds like a great recipe - and vegan too!
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:20 PM   #3  

It's definitely a dish for all to enjoy.

Can't wait to hear how ya like it.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:03 PM   #4  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Okay, here's my review I adapted the recipe a bit, used lots more veggies - 2 peppers and a couple of cups of sliced zucchini (it's in everything we eat lately!), more tomato and my own sauce spices. I also, of course, increased the garlic. It was really good and we will definitely have it again. Even if you aren't a tofu fan I think this one is a winner. I wouldn't mistake it for meat but I also wouldn't necessarily guess tofu.

Thanks for the recipe Sunshine!
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:06 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyndiM View Post
Okay, here's my review I adapted the recipe a bit, used lots more veggies - 2 peppers and a couple of cups of sliced zucchini (it's in everything we eat lately!), more tomato and my own sauce spices. I also, of course, increased the garlic. It was really good and we will definitely have it again. Even if you aren't a tofu fan I think this one is a winner. I wouldn't mistake it for meat but I also wouldn't necessarily guess tofu.

Thanks for the recipe Sunshine!
Hi Cyndi!! You're welcome! I'm glad your meal was a success!