Old 07-25-2008, 07:33 PM   #1  

Default good protein bar

Would anyone here recommand eating protein bar ? If so, what are some good brands ? Do they contain a lot of calories ?
kaytlin90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:50 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Protein bars are generally discouraged because they are loaded w/ sugar. It is recommended that you find a good protein shake. I really like Jay Robb's protein powder because it has only 1 gram of carb and I think 0 sugars. It has 100 calories and I think about 25 grams of protein. However, the problem is that when I drink it, I get hungry really fast (maybe psychological). I prefer his protein bars, but they have a lot of sugar and about 220 calories. However, they usually fill me up for 3 hours. Big difference. I hope you'll get some other suggestions. I think some people like Fiber One bars, but I'm not sure how much protein they contain. I'm interested to see the other responses you get.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

You need to watch for malitol in the protein bars, some dieters find them to be very laxative,
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 208/-/170

Height: 5'8"

http://www.dietdirect.com/proamino-p...tein-bars.html

Supplement Facts: (Per Serving/% Daily Value)
Calories: 150, Protein: 15 grams (30%), Total Fat: 4.5 gram (7%), Saturated Fat: 2 grams (10%), Trans Fat: 0 grams, Cholesterol: 0 mg (0%), Sodium: 190 mg (8%), Potassium: 190 mg (5%), Total Carbohydrates: 15 grams (5%), Dietary Fiber: 0 grams (0%), Sugars: 10 grams.

Ingredients:
Calcium Caseinate, Soy Protein Isolate, Fructose, Sugar, Hydrolyzed Gelatin, Whey Protein Isolate, Coca Powder processed with Alkali, Polydextrose, Invert Sugar, Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil, Soy Nuggets (Soy Protein Isolate, Rice Flour, Malt, Salt), Honey, Sorbitol, Soy Lecithin, Hazelnuts, Canola Oil, Lactose, Natural and Artificial Flavor, (contains Caramel color), Ascorbic Acid, Salt, Potassium Sorbate to preserve freshness. ALLERGY INFORMATION: THIS PRODUCT IS MANUFACTURED IN A FACILITY THAT USES PEANUTS AND OTHER NUTS AND SEEDS.

Not bad, good for low carb, 15g of protein is pretty good for 150cal. Taste good too!
GoNads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:25 PM   #5  
carinna

I generally would not recommend protein bars because most of the time they may contain more calories for the protein you get from them. I'd recommend lean meats for your protein and baked beans without the sauces.

Read the labels to make sure you get a good deal.
carinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:21 PM   #6  

I've just heard that some trainers get a protein bar before their workout so I thought it might be a good idea.
kaytlin90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:38 PM   #7  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I like Zone bars. 180-210 calories per bar with 12-15 grams of protein in each.

Great if you are on the go! No fake sugars in them.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote