Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 01:33 PM   #1  

Default yoga video

I just purchased a video called Yoga for Weight Loss. Anyone tried it or does anyone do yoga? Just wondering if i made a good choice.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:26 PM   #2  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Most people use Yoga for firming, toning and stress reduction. It's not really a high energy aerobics routine tho the yuppies are Americanizing it and taking it away from it's intended purpose.

There are variations of Yoga methods - a popular one now is Power Yoga which combines 2 traditional methods. I like it because it does build strength and flexibility but you should treat it as part of a well rounded program of cardio (fat burning), weight/strength training (to build muscle) and use things like Yoga and Pilates for toning.

I have a video - Yoga for Weight Loss by Suzanne Deason, don't know if that's what you bought. I liked it because they do show the variations on the moves from beginner to expert. Start slow, learn the moves and keep up with it.

Not sure if I answered your question - were you looking for feedback on a particular yoga tape or were you really asking if you can use yoga to successfully lose weight...
Old 07-13-2002, 11:17 AM   #3  

I go to a Kundalini yoga class. I enjoy it a lot. I find it is good for stretching, strength and relaxation. It usually isn't aerobic although sometimes we do sessions that are somewhat aerobic. It just depends. It seems like all the different kinds of yoga use the same poses, but some don't focus as much on the breathing and meditation and that's really an integral part of yoga.

I have a very good tape of Kundalini Yoga with Gurmukh and it is produced by Living Arts. I do feel like I've had a workout when I'm done. I also have two tapes by Rodney Yee from Living Yoga also from Living Arts. One is abs and the other is power yoga for beginners. His style is different from what I am used to, but still good.

For weight loss, you may want to supplement yoga with something else, walking, or something. I do an eliptical trainer and swim. There is also something called Breathwalking, where you use yogic breathing patterns along with walking and so you get the benefits of aerobics and yoga. I used to do that a lot but I havn't been walking much lately because of foot and knee problems.

Also, if you are a stress eater, yoga can help relax you and give you better self-control and benefit your weight loss in that way.

Good luck! Hope I wasn't too long-winded. I really enjoy yoga so I had a lot to say about.
Closed Thread