Old 07-26-2008, 12:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/213/145

Height: 5'6"

Default low calorie filling breakfast....

i need ideas of something low calorie that i can eat for breakfast. i am trying to eat between 1200-1500 calories a day. i am getting sick of only eating cottage cheese and oatmeal for breakfast. what are some other things i can eat that are 300 calories or less but will keep me full until lunch time?
vblizard8756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:01 PM   #2  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Smoothies....my favorite at the moment is blended until smooth - 1 c almond milk (vanilla or chocolate unsweetened), 1/2 frozen banana, crushed ice, splenda to taste, and a couple tablespoons of fat free 1/2 & 1/2. Comes out to about 150 calories. 200 if I add a scoop of protein powder.

I'm also a big fan of low carb whole wheat toast with 1 T natural peanut butter.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 138/127/120

Height: 5'4

My favorite are egg beaters! They're like just the white of the egg, and they are sold next to regular eggs in the grocery store. One container is 60 calories, and it equals 2 large eggs. You can only make scrambled eggs out of them, but they are soooo yummy!

I buy healthy way wheat toast, and they are only 35 calories per slice. Have two slices. Put some parkay butter spray on them (0 calories! Spray on!) and they taste sooo good.

That's only 130 calories and it's so filling. If you're still hungry, just double the amount, and it's still only 260 calories. Or add some fresh fruit as a side and voila!
Zima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:26 PM   #4  
Workin' it out

S/C/G: 175/170.6/150

Height: 5' 4.5"

I don't have time (or don't wanna get up early enough) to cook breakfast before work. Here are some of my favorites:
*Morningstar breakfast patties (microwave) - they look small but they keep me satisfied for hours - 160 calories for two and I think it's 20g of protein.
*Ezekiel toast - one slice topped topped with lf cottage cheese, or two slices with spray butter
*Any fibery cereal - Kashi Heart to Heart
ShrinkingShrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Slice a boiled egg (or scramble an egg) over 1/2 a whole grain english muffin, top with a sprinkle of sharp cheddar, and broil. Yummy for about 200 cals.

Yogurt (I make my own each week) - 1/2 cup yogurt and 1 cup of frozen blueberries is a yummy breakfast and easy to throw together. 130 cals

Take the above add a scoop of protein powder and throw it in the blender and you have a great smoothie for about 250 cals.

A couple of thin slices of turkey on a single slice of whole grain bread - spread some laughing cow light cheese on the bread first - about 200 cals.

I make individual crustless quiches in muffin cups sometimes. Make 5 or 6 at a time, pop them into the fridge or freezer, and you can grab one on your way to work. One "quiche muffin" = 2 eggs, a little cheese, some veggie = 180 or so calories.

1 serving of quinoa (about 1/4 cup uncooked) is 170 cals. I make mine the night before and then in the morning either add a little cheese, or some honey and cinnamon, or whatever I'm in the mood for and nuke it for just a minute to warm it up. (I don't really like sweet things in the morning, so I'm more likely to add cheese, or spices.)

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 02:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

If you like cottage cheese...add in a serving of lite canned peaches or pears, or half banana. I eat Weight Watcher bread - 50 calories with natural peanut butter or almond butter, too

Boca 'bacon' Strips (soy) YUM on peanut butter toast along with some fruit.

Nuke three egg whites (about 99 seconds) - eat with some ketchup or lite cheese - toast with I Can't Beleive it's Not Butter spray or npnb. - along with some fruit

Kashi waffle with pnb - along with a piece of fruit.

Have you noticed a trend here....I eat natural peanut butter almost every day for breakfast (usually 1/2 T. at 45 calories)

I need to have protein at breakfast - it helps me from getting hungry right away.

All these breakfasts are under 230 calories

Zima - where do you get your Healthy Way Wheat Bread?

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 07-26-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:44 PM   #7  

I like to make my own french toast: 2 slices healthy life wheat bread, 2 egg whites and a bit of vanilla and/or cinnamon. This is very filling for a little over 100 calories. You can always add some peanut butter, sliced fruit, bacon, etc if you need more calories.

I also like to mix cereals. I'll put in half a serving of a higher calorie cereal like Kashi Go Lean Crunch or Raisin Bran and then I'll add a cup of puffed rice. This way you get more volume for less calories.

Sometimes, when I need a pastry for breakfast, I go to Whole Foods and buy their Low-Fat Muffins. They have blueberry and bran muffins for 150 and 160 calories, respectively.
Onsecondthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:36 PM   #8  
Go Cubs Go!

S/C/G: Too/Effing/Much!

Height: 5' 7"

Mmmm... Lots of great ideas. I also noticed that a lot of you include peanut butter. I need to search around and find the best brand that will provide flavour, nutrition, preferably little or no sugar for the lowest calories. I never even thought about Egg Beaters. I need to get some of that.

Thanks for sharing.
Rain Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:07 PM   #9  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

How about changing up the way you eat the cottage cheese and oatmeal?

Try blending together 1/3 cup of oatmeal, 1/3 cup of cottage cheese and one egg (or 1/4 cup egg beaters). Then cook this like you would pancake batter.

I top with blueberries made into a sauce, but you could use them as bread type things if you like.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:39 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 306/196.6/180

Height: 5ft8.5

I buy low sugar low sodium simply Jiff- natural PB grosses me out! 1 Tbsp. = 1g sugar, 8 fat.

I'll have 1 Tbsp on 2 pc WW Wheat toast with 1.2 smooshed banana = 235 cals.

I love to eat 1/2 cup egg beaters mixed with fresh baby spinach then melt 1 slice of reduced fat cheddar and divide onto 2 pcs. WW wheat toast. Totals = 214 cals.

Smoothie with 1/2 cup light OJ, 1/2 strawberries, 1/2 banana, 10 ice cubes = 155 cals.
Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:21 AM   #11  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Smuckers Organic Peanut Butter. Smooth or crunchy. Ingredients: Organic peanuts. You'll have to stir it when you first open it to mix the oil back in. It is a whole different level of yummy peanut butter!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:28 AM   #12  

I tried going the natural peanut butter route before, but I couldn't handle the oil that would settle in on top. Then I discovered this great "invention" at Whole Foods...a peanut butter grinder! It's basically a giant machine filled with peanuts and you can make your own natural peanut butter at the touch of a button. I usually get enough to last me about a week. This way, the oil doesn't have enough time to settle, it prevents me from eating too much because I don't have a whole jar, and, frankly, I think it tastes SO much better.
Of course, I occassionally give in to pressure and also buy the Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter, but, hey, no one's perfect!
Old 07-27-2008, 02:12 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

My favorite natural peanut butter is Krogers brand.(national chain grocery store) It does have some salt and it's easy to stir up and pop in the fridge.

OMG - Dark Chocolate Peanut butter (sounds yummy) - is that from Whole Foods?

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 07-27-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:06 PM   #14  

Whole Foods is the only store that I've seen carry the line, but the brand is called "Peanut Butter & Co." They have about 8 different kinds including Cinnamon Raisin, White Chocolate, Honey, Maple, and Spicy. Obviously, these will have more sugar than a natural peanut butter, but it still isn't all that bad...only about 7 or 8 grams per serving. Their website is....

www.ilovepeanutbutter.com
Old 07-27-2008, 08:10 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

I am a big fan of non-traditional breakfasts. Any dinner leftovers are fair game for breakfast. I've eaten pork chops, turkey meatballs, and all kinds of crazy stuff. Other favorites include: Kashi waffle with natural peanut butter, open faced turkey sandwich with baby spinach, chocolate cheesecake smoothie (cottage cheese, milk, ice, splash of vanilla, envelope of NSA hot chocolate mix), cottage cheese pancake (same recipe as fiberlover posted, very yummy with peanut butter or sugar free syrup), refried beans with salsa and reduced fat cheddar (microwaved), deviled eggs, hard boiled eggs, omelets with lots of veggies, cottage cheese with chopped cucumber and tomato, turkey bacon, turkey sausages. Breakfast is really the most important meal of the day. If I eat a hearty, protein-rich breakfast it keeps me satisfied for a long time and helps me to resist temptation the rest of the day.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote