Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-26-2008, 02:56 PM   #1  

Default Need help losing weight

What do you find the best resource for weight loosing tips?

All the different programs offered just confuse me.

Please help me out! I’m really looking for some tips losing weight.

Jennie
jstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:49 PM   #2  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

This site is the best resource.. Unfortunately - no one can really tell you what program will be right for you. Everyone is different.

My suggestion to you would be to get an account at thedailyplate.com or sparkpeople or fitday.com and start tracking what you eat now.

Get a good idea of how you are eating, then you can see what things you might want to change (like adding more fruits and veggies, protein or whole grains). Learn what proper portion sizes are compared to what you are currently eating.

Then you can think about what type of plan you want to follow.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:56 PM   #3  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Lori is right. Spend as much time here reading the forums - particularly the stickies at the top of each which describe the plan. The most successful folk here, find a plan they can do for life. It is usually a modification of one of the existing plans.

Keeping a food journal as Lori suggested is a really great way to get started. My food journal was a critical piece of my plan. It really helped me learn portion control and analyze my progress as I went along.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:20 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey jstuart,

Have you read the book YOU: On A Diet? You might be able to find it at your library. That will give you some very good basic information.

There are many methods of losing weight safely and for the long term. There are also dozens of fads that may work for a week or two, but that's the end of it. When trying to choose a plan, think about your lifestyle. For example:

- Do you make your own foods, or does someone else do the cooking?
- If someone else cooks your food, like a parent, would they be willing to cook differently for you?
- Do you have a job? Do you go to school all day? How can you plan your food around that? Would you have to take your own lunch, for example?
- Do you enjoy food preparation, or would you rather heat up something fast, like a frozen dinner and some salad?
- Do you need to eat what's available if you can find good choices? For example, at a cafeteria, or a restaurant?
- Do you like a structured plan with lots of support IRL? In that case, maybe a program like Weight Watchers would be good.

All of these can help you decide what program is easiest for you to follow. Then it's just a matter of making a choice and sticking with it.

Good luck!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:28 PM   #5  
Giving no Ground

S/C/G: 245/217/135

Height: 5'5"

Well, the good news is that any plan will work! Reduce what you eat and increase your activity level. Also remember when you stop any diet you gain.

I agree with the Food Journal, I know I was amazed at how much I ate, and you start seeing "invisible" calories that maybe you hadn't considered before. You might also just start with portion control or counting calories.
Skullarix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 360/309/185

Height: 6'1

jstuart- the best thing you can do for yourself is educate yourself the more you educate yourself on your body and how it works, you'll be more comfortable making a choice that works for you.

If you have a lot of weight to lose, the *simple* (ha!) calories in versus calories out- will work so any of the programs should get your weight loss started If you don't have as much weight to lose, 50 or fewer pounds, I'd try and find a personal trainer in your area that comes recommended, call them and get a consult- most personal trainers- GOOD ones... will have some really valuable info on how to go about your weight loss journey. Don't feel that you have to go to a personal trainer to get the weight off, that isn't what I'm saying, but in the beginning- you may find it really helpful.

Keep reading, this forum especially- there's TONS of info

Best wishes
bettyred is offline   Reply With Quote