Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-26-2008, 12:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/213/145

Height: 5'6"

Default walking......is it effective

i recently have begun walking an hour or so every night. i walk fairly fast, but i haven't really noticed it affecting my weight loss. is there something i can do to make it more effective? i hate exercising so i'm pretty proud of myself to have found some sort of exercise i can still to and do daily, but it's frustrating to not have it affect my weight loss.
vblizard8756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

I've been walking too, about 4 miles a day for the last 3 weeks. I haven't weighed myself, but I look littler. I feel like I'm in better shape too. I noticed I get antsy if I don't get to walk on rainy days. Stretch first, drink lots of water, and wear sunblock. I have a fanny pack that I wear while walking to hold water and my phone.
How long have you been walking? Trust me, you may not notice a huge weight loss right off the bat, but it's better than sitting on the couch and eating!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:39 PM   #3  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Walking, either on the treadmill or outside has been my main form of exercise and, as you can see from my ticker, it worked. I think it's responsible for the speed and ease of my loss. I do walk just about every day (miss maybe 3 or 4 days a month) for at least 1 hr/3 miles.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:41 PM   #4  
trying to be fit for life

S/C/G: 151/142/121

Height: 5'6"

Keep Walking.. Give it some time..and you will see results I just started walking again myself.
Mems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #5  

Walking is probably the most universally recommended exercise. It's easy to do and easier on the joints than jogging. I like walking and I can build up a good sweat, but to do that, I have to really exert myself. For me, this means that on the treadmill, I alternate a speed of 4.5 (at a 1.0 incline) with a speed of 4.7 (at a 3.0 incline). I alternate one minute of the former with 2-3 mintues of the latter. Yeah--I'm a really fast walker.

So, I think you should stick with it, but be sure that you're giving it your all. I think you're doing great to have been so consistent!
lynnm39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 02:29 PM   #6  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Stick with it - make sure you move fast enough to get your heart rate in your target zone.

It really DOES work!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:13 PM   #7  

Height: 5'1"

Walking is an excellent form of exercise. It's good for arobic and it helps tone your legs too. So keep it up, you will see a difference. As far as losing weight, only lowering your calories is going to do that.
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 286/ticker/180

Height: 5'6

walking alone is not going to impact your weight loss, but it sure does help! I love walking. I walk whenever I get the chance because it's my time to relax and to think, because there is never enough time for that! I love the treadmill, I try to do it daily but if I get bored I do the bike. Walking is good for you even if you aren't having the pounds burn off automatically. Keep with it!
xMeaganx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:54 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 186/158/135

Height: 5'5"

I respectfully disagree with xMeaganx. In 2005 I went from 175 to 150 in 3 months soley by walking. I walked 3-5 nights per week and I started at 1.1 mile, because that's the lenghth of my block. By the end I was walking an average of 3.5 miles. I didn't keep it up because I started school in the evenings and just slacked off.

I wouldn't do it the same way again, but at that time, walking was what worked for me.
colebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:05 AM   #10  

Colebear you said you wouldn't lose weight again the same way, may I ask why?
chellebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:53 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 186/158/135

Height: 5'5"

I had a walking buddy that kept me going. I don't have that now and I don't like walking by myself, both for the safety issue and because I get bored.

I do walk occasionally, but I mix it up with aerobic videos and strength training. Also, I now have access to ellipticals and recumbant bikes. Much easier on my ankles and knees.
colebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:48 PM   #12  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

Although some may disagree with me, but exercise alone is not going to impact your weight much if you don't change your diet. For me anyways... Walking is a great exercise, it helps you to burn more fat during the day.
Miaka is offline   Reply With Quote