Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-24-2008, 07:40 PM   #1  
ProfessionalMisadventurer

S/C/G: 176/ticker/130

Height: 5'6"

Default How do I excersize with a broken foot?????

Well ladies and gents, Hurricane Moony has done it again.
Five years ago, I rode motocross and wanted to go pro. I crashed on a jump and mangled my foot in the bike chain. They put my foot back together with pins and I was up and walking again in only a year. So, this foot has only ever given me trouble during heavy rains (cause of the change in barometic pressure) but as I live in sunny California, it's really not been an issue.
Well, I was rock climbing three weeks ago when I got this horrible wrenching pain. I ignored it for a week and continued my hiking, walking, and running routines. After that week, though, the pain was excruciating, and my foot had swollen up to twice it's size. So I think, okay, no big deal, I'll just self medicate. I started soaking my foot in hot water with honey and epsom salts twice a day, (honey is my miracle cure for everything) and didn't excersize for three days, but nothing improved. I give up and go to the doctor. After sending me to get all sorts of xrays and tests and scans, they inform me... get this....
I need more surgery.

Are you kidding me????? How the h-ll am I supposed to lose weight if I can't WALK???? And the icing on the cake is that my boyfriend and I are leaving for sabatical in four months. We will literally be backpacking around the world.

Oh lord. What am I gonna do???
moony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:48 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

What you're gonna do (I hope) is exactly what your doctors tell you to do, and not try to take things into your own hands. No, really! Your foot needs proper treatment and the time to heal thoroughly!

I'm sorry you've had this setback--There are some exercises you can do that won't require you to use your foot--floor exercises, arm exercises. Ask your doctors what you can do to stay in shape while your foot heals. And follow what they tell you.

Have you consulted a sports orthopedist? I hope so--sometimes they are best because they realize that their patients intend to be physically active.

Good luck! May you heal quickly!

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 07-24-2008 at 07:48 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Yeah, I'd follow orders pronto, and make sure they know you plan intense walking in 4 months. You need to be prepared or you'll end up with the same painful, swollen foot, but out in the middle of nowhere in a foreign country. Yikes.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

You might try getting exercise videos like Sit and Be Fit or Chair Dancing (I got a couple of Chair Dancing videos while recovering from a bout of cellulitis in my right leg a few weeks ago) and see if they help
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:23 PM   #5  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

I broke my foot a couple of years ago. I was in one of those air cast things (like a boot) for six or eight weeks, and once the pain was better, I went straight back to the gym. I did upper body weights, ab work, and rode the stationary bike.

Good luck! I hope it heals well and quickly.
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:25 PM   #6  

Height: 5'7.5"

Default ouch!

my sincere condolences to your accident...as said b4,follow dr's.orders..as they really do know more than us...and maybe rather than excercising,or focusing on losing weight, take the time to read,plan,and eat only those fiber type foods that are so healthy for us,..those we all should be eating more of anyway..and cross fingers...i bet you won't gain..you know how much you need your healthy walking feet when in new places..Here's to healthy feet,and a swift recovery.
choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:52 PM   #7  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

That's tough KIDDO!

My advice...listen to your doctors....sending prayers you heal in time for the trip!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:05 PM   #8  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

Ugh, that really sucks!

But I agree with everyone that says you need to listen to your doctors. But I would ask the dr about the possibility of you using a stationary bike once the pain subsides and then look into seated toning workouts. But only do it if the dr approves! I hope your foot heals asap and well this time around.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:00 AM   #9  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Sorry to hear that you need another surgery but I wish you did not ingore the pain (especially when it was rather severe) and went to the doctor immediately. But that's water under the bridge. Concentrate on healing now instead of on weight loss - how about if you for now move to maintenance?
Also, there are exercises one can with a foot in a cast - I think Amanda (Mandalinn) said she used an arm bike. Maybe you will be able to exercise upper body like Ward Hog.

Can your trip be postponed a bit? If not, I am sure you can rent bikes almost anywhere and do more bicycling instead of walking (I assume that would be less stress for your foot but check with your doctor).
My best wishes of a speedy recovery!!!!
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:37 AM   #10  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

i am in a boot for a bad ankle. I broke it in 2001 and part of the bone died. it's a chronic problem that I have to take care of. If i ignore it i end up in the boot for SIX WEEKS as opposed to six DAYS

i bike
i swim
i lift while sitting
i do crunches

i am only permitted NON-IMPACT exercise. I am NOT even allowed to EVER walk for exercise.... even when the ankle is NOT painful.

it can be done.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:20 PM   #11  
ProfessionalMisadventurer

S/C/G: 176/ticker/130

Height: 5'6"

You guys are fantastic, thanks so much
moony is offline   Reply With Quote