Old 07-24-2008, 01:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Default What's your experience shopping at the Aldi's food store?

In the a different thread I mentioned that I had gone to Aldi's to buy some produce and a few other things. I go there and mainly to their produce because it's usually 25 - 40% less than my regular grocery, Krogers. They don't have a huge variety of the same things (ie...only a couple different kinds of apples) But, what they have is such a good price. I often pick up laundry soap, oatmeal, milk, trash bags and other things I need. I don't mind packing my own groceries for what I save.

I find the quality good - most of the time. My husband doesn't like their pork and beans (of all things! - I always 'doctor' them up, anyways). I think it's worth a try...the prices are so good. My Aldi's is always clean and neat.

What's your experience shopping at Aldi's?

http://www.aldifoods.com/us/html/pro...s_ENU_HTML.htm

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 07-24-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:15 PM   #2  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

We have a Brand new Aldi's right across from my regular grocery store. I am dying to try it!

Do you know Aldi and Trader Joe's are owned by the same people?
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:16 PM   #3  
Brendansmum

S/C/G: 214/195/135

Height: 5'7"

My Dad lives in Newark, Ohio and they get everything at Aldi's. The closest one to me was about and hour drive, until recently they opened one up closer{about 35 min.} I love them. My kids love the frozen juice and they have really good canned chicken breast. I would go there more often if it was closer.
Brendansmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:24 PM   #4  
FB

My previous experiences with Aldi's haven't been great. Fruit flies in the over- ripe produce section, scanty selection of produce, long lines and rude people. Our local Aldi's are very old and run down.

However, there's a new store that's just opened and I'm thinking it looks really nice. I always want to give Aldi's another chance, my hubby refuses to go with me. Think I'll force him there again I do recall that they had some nice low fat products that I'd like to try again.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Do they have any name brand food there? We have one that is new where I live, but haven't tried it yet. Do they have organic food?
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:37 PM   #6  
And we're Off!

S/C/G: I have a ticker!

Height: 5'5"

i shop there for produce weekly and dh loves some of the items i can't have. I really like their fit and active brand as well. I keep reusable bags in my car for the weekly drop in and just bag them as i throw them in the car. Just my 2cents but I really like Aldi's.
durdansgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Born to fly - they have only a few named brand items. They do not carry organic foods in my area now or when I lived in Michigan. I can't speak for other areas..but, I kind of doubt it.

Sandi...I didn't know that Aldi's and Trader Joes were owned by the same folks. Interesting....

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 07-24-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:44 PM   #8  

I like the prices for my kids snacks and the produce. I also buy their bags of frozen chicken breast, at $5.99 for 6 breasts thats a huge deal!

Fruit flies, this time of year almost EVERY store has them
PorkChopNoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:47 PM   #9  
1 Day at a Time

HI I like Aldis also. I like their Fit & Trim stuff and the dry goods are great. You can really save some money there.
missi9245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:02 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 256/240/140

Height: 5'2"

i used to shop at aldi because of the prices and you could save a ton of money there, but since we switched to organic foods, we can't shop there anymore because they don't carry organic foods. But i look at it in a positive way because even though aldis has good prices, they also have tons of junk food at that low price of only 1.29. Eating organic, your junk food range is considerably small compared to non organic foods. We just had a Whole Foods open up closer to our home...15min away compared to 45min-1hr away before. Their produce selection for organic food is better than most of our other organic shops.
PenChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:16 PM   #11  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

Height: 5' 7"

our aldis is older, but i still like it. not crazy about the produce but everything else is great.
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:29 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 245/178/145

Height: 5'4

I'm in Philly and we have an Aldi a block away that we always walk to. Whatever we can get from there we do because the prices are amazing. Ours is clean and everything is usually fresh.
QueenBee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:22 AM   #13  
active kids, active mom

I haven't been to ALDI's in years -- since we found out our dd can't have gluten. WHat is the Fit and Active line?
knitsforfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:29 AM   #14  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

I like Aldi here in Baltimore and the one by Drexel university where I take my son to stock his apartment.

i especially like it when the daughter wants to have a teen terror party....

sometimes i get produce there..

frozen fish is good

when we ate badly almost all our food came from Aldi.

can't beat a gallon of milk for under 2 dollars....
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:08 PM   #15  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

I like Aldi. Their prices are great! It's a little "different" from a traditional grocery store, but I'll sacrifice different for great prices.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote