General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2001, 09:59 PM   #1  
Uber-Moderator!!

Exclamation

I just caught the tail end of this show...luckily they'll be rerunning it in a couple of hours...

http://health.discovery.com/premiers...y/obesity.html

If you're too late to see it, at least check out the webpage - I only saw five minutes of it, but it looks like a great show!

I'll wait until after viewing the entire thing to post my further thoughts.

Take care!
Old 03-11-2001, 11:12 AM   #2  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Default I SAW IT!!

I "tuned" in on the midnight showing. I want to watch it again, but it was informative. I myself had my stomach stapled in the manner shown on the show. This was 1981, and there was NO support groups at that time. I slowly gained ALMOST all of my weight back, and have been fighting it since. I was one of those people who searched on a constant basis for that "MAGIC BULLET", and have only recently realized that THERE ISN'T ONE
If people would just COME TO TERMS with theirselves, and use the money they spend on all the "gimmics" to buy HEALTHY FOOD and prepare it correctly, they would soon realize that only THEY, THEMSELVES can BEAT the
FAT DEMON that lives in all of us. It's not an easy path to follow, but slowly, I AM WINNING THE WAR~
Old 03-11-2001, 11:24 AM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Thoughts on the show.

Since I usually go to bed around 9 pm, by the time the show was over at 10, I was more than ready for beddy-bye so I'm posting a few thoughts now. More will come to me, I'm sure.

First - the segment on the Pima Indians of Arizona - I agree that genetics could very well play a part in their health problems (the theory that the Pimas had for generations eaten a very sparse diet before adapting the WOE that has unfortunately been the American way since the end of WWII and that their bodies carry a "thrifty gene"). But there have been numerous other studies done on the Pimas, including one that compared the Arizona Pimas to those in Mexico who have not adapted the American lifestyle. The Mexican Pima women averaged 132 pounds, while the Arizona counterparts averaged 198; the Mexican Pima men weighed 153 pounds in comparision to 199 for the Arizona Pima males. In my opinion, it is not genes that are the cause for the Arizona Pima's health problems - it's the fact that they live in the United States and consume a lot more calories and are much more sedentary than their Mexican counterparts.

The diet camp segment also struck a chord with me. I myself attended a diet camp in Southern California for eight weeks in 1979, when I was 16 years old. I vividly recall it being one of the best summers of my life! Not only because of the weight I lost (I came to camp weighing 164 and left at 142 - wearing a pair of Calvin Kleins that I bought the last week) but I discovered, after painful years of hating PE in school, being picked last for teams, and just feeling like an overall klutz, that I actually ENJOYED participating in physical activities. It was also my first time not feeling like the fifth wheel - ignored by the popular kids. The only bad part about fat camp for me was my roommate - who was a nice person but she was the loudest snorer I have ever heard before (or since). It took me a few nights to get used to it...

The segment on 9-year-old Dylan who weighed 140 pounds - when he was talking about doing stuff like sneak eating - I find myself still doing that...I remember one day Mom bought a box of HoHo's and put them on top of the fridge, where we couldn't reach them. I must have been around 7 then (of course my parents had me on a diet at the time). Since I was deprived of sweets, but they were in the house, they called to me - so late at night, after everyone was asleep, I snuck into the kitchen (terrifying at night when the lights were out for a 7 year old!) and used a chair to sneak the HoHos. I kept going back until the box was gone - of course I got caught the next morning when Mom discovered chocolate bits in my bed!

If you want your kids to stay healthy and slender my suggestion would be to keep all the junk out of the house right from the get-go. Environmental control is very important -- who is healthier for eating cookies, potato chips, etc.? I'm not saying that kids should NEVER eat those things - rather that cake, cookies, candy etc should be regarded as 'special occasion' foods, not something for everyday. There's a great book out called "Save Your Child from the Fat Epidemic" by Gayle Povis Allman that I HIGHLY recommend.

Lastly - the segments on Mark (the 1400 pound man) and the woman who had weight-loss surgery - I felt like they left us hanging there -- hoping that the Discovery Channel does a followup show in six months or so to let us know their progress!
Old 03-11-2001, 11:34 AM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Babe - don't worry - they're showing it again!

According to their website, the show will be re-televised - so if you missed it, don't despair!

Times are EST...

Today 11 March 2001 12:00 a.m.
13 March 2001 4:00 a.m.

Whew! That's pretty late. Make sure you set your VCR! And I would check Discovery's website often (I posted the link in my first post) since they repeat programs pretty frequently.
Old 03-12-2001, 10:11 AM   #5  
Spicy Chick

Default Big Orange

What you said is sooo true...One must just keep it in mind at all times!!
Closed Thread