South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 03:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

Default Question about carbs on phase one...

sooo...i think i may try to do south beach...i'm actually a calorie counter and have managed to lose 62 pounds but i put just a few back on over the past 5 months. I seem to be having a hard time getting my act together to start losing and thought maybe this might help me to jump start my weightloss again.

So...i was reading the foods allowed in phase one, picked out the ones i like and was entering them into my fitday account. (You can click on my link if you'd like to take a look at it and tell me what you think. I plugged it all into todays page.)

My question is... what percentage of carbs should i have?? My ratio at the moment looks like this....fats 15%/ carbs 33%/ protein 52%. Is that good?? My calories are only 1100 and i try to get at least 1200 in a day (i've already added in one cup of milk).

Please tell me what you think!! Thanks!!
Old 07-23-2008, 03:58 PM   #2  
Heather-Nic

S/C/G: 293.5/248/220

Height: 5'7"

Not sure if this helps, but after looking at your Fit day I think you're short on veggies. You're supposed to have 4 1/2 cups of veggies a day. And it looked as though your green beans had potatoes....which is a big no-no for Phase 1 of SBD.

Have you read the book? I would highly recommend that you start there.
Good Luck!
Old 07-23-2008, 04:06 PM   #3  

Hi...thanks. I actually don't eat the potatoes in the greenbeans. not a big fan of sliced potatoes. I haven't read the book. I was just hoping to sort of jump start my weightloss again. I may have to run by the library and pick up a copy of the book. Or see if anyone here at work has a copy. I just wasn't sure about the carb percentage.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:07 PM   #4  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Also no healthy oils that I could see like olive oil, nuts. When I calculate my SBD menus I come out with about 25% fat, which are MUFA's (good fats). I think they really help with satiety and weight loss.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:08 PM   #5  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

we don't count carbs
we don't look at percentages...
Old 07-23-2008, 04:10 PM   #6  

oh...thanks ladybugnessa. That really answers my question. I knew south beach was about cutting out carbs, especially in the beginning, so i didn't know if i was suppose to be keeping the percentage down or not.

I'll work on getting some healthy oils and fats in there. I want to try to really plan out what to eat before i start. Thanks for the advice!!! :-)
Old 07-23-2008, 04:15 PM   #7  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

i think the book will really help you.

i'd get a copy

there is a meal template on one of the stickies that you might want to follow

for me:

breafast

eggs/candian bacon
coffee w/ff half and half (your coffee creamer has trans fat and sugar both things we avoid)
v8

snack
protein and veggies or dairy and veggies

lunch
veggies (at least 2 cups)
lean protein
good fat

snack
nuts and dairy or
hummus and veggies

dinner
lean protein
good fat
veggies
salad

4 1/2 cups of veggies a day
lean proteins
good fats
low fat dairy

then after 2 weeks we start adding back things a bit at a time

we add back
fruit

and starchy veggies
sweet potato
peas
winter squash

or grains
oats
wheat
quiona
barley

stuff like that....
Old 07-23-2008, 05:01 PM   #8  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Your ratios look fine, although I have a question about some of the foods that you entered.

Potatoes are not allowed on P1, although you don't have much weight to lose and could start on P2 if you don't have any crazy cravings. White potatoes are not allowed on P2 either, only sweet potatoes.

I'm not sure what is in the creamer....but most creamers are not allowed on SB because of the high levels of HFCS and other mysterious ingredients.

On P1, only plain yogurt is allowed. Flavored sugar free yogurts are allowed on all subsequent phases.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:58 AM   #9  

I'm not sure what HFCS is but i do know that i use sugar-free creamers and splenda in my coffee. I have been drinking about 3 travel mugs of coffee a day and thought i would just cut back to one cup a day. I really, really really hate to give up my coffee. I do have a bit of a sweet tooth lately and really need to get that under control. I'm sure i can find some plain yogurt (which i only eat the containers that have 80-90 calories each). And you're right. I don't have much weight to lose. I'm not looking to lose 15 pounds in the first two weeks. I'd really be happy if i could lose maybe just 2 pounds a week for the first two weeks i'm on phase one. I thinks it's kinda like getting a job....it's easier to get a job when you got a job. I think it's easier to lose weight when you're already losing weight. ANd right now i am stalled (or possibly going up a little). I just need to jump start the weightloss movement a little.

Thanks everyone for your input. I really value it and appreciate it and told my boyfriend that i am starting it this coming sunday. So, either the family will be eating alot of chicken breast with me...or they're on their own.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:27 AM   #10  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

HFCS - High Fructose Corn Syrup = the reason why our country is so chunky.

You don't have to stick to bland chicken breasts on this diet....check out the recipe section for P1. There are a ton of options that are really good - things the entire family will enjoy.

Good luck!
Old 07-24-2008, 11:23 AM   #11  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Yep, read the book. It really explains how and why this works without you being hungry or craving "junk". And it's not about cutting out carbs (you do get carbs from veggies) except for the first 2 weeks..those 2 weeks detox you and it's not really for losing weight. the 2 weeks help you get rid of junk cravings. After that you will slowly add back healthy grains and fruits. It really works and is a very easy way to eat healthy for the rest of your life. Don't think of it as a diet..think of it as getting healthy and staying that way.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 150/118/110

Height: 5'2

Definitely get the book. Right in the beginning he talks about coffee and how you don't have to give it up!

So read up, you'll be surprised!
Closed Thread