Old 07-09-2008, 10:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 201/201/110

Height: 5'1"

Question Induction questions

Hello! I am pregnant right now and due in a few weeks, so I am trying to prepare myself and make sure I understand Atkins right. I have tried to do Atkins before and even though I read the book, I still came out confused. Looking at it now, I can see why I had failed the previous time I tried to do this. I really want to succeed and to make it work this time. But I have a couple of questions- I am having a hard time finding a brand that does not have nitrates in it or is healthy for canadian bacon, regular bacon, and sausages. Does anyone have a favorite of this, or of any other food that is really great for induction? Also, is there a good ranch dressing that I can use or a salsa? I have a hard time reading and understanding the labels, and although i know that you should not have any sugar during induction, I dont know that I can read the labels and figure this out. Any advice? Lastly, does anyone have any favorite yummy recipes that you really liked when you were doing induction? I know that this is a ton of quesitons, but Id really appreciate it if anyone has any advice on the induction phase.
chelle567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:07 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

and on your upcoming baby!!

Reading the book is essential to starting the Atkins lifeplan It is very important you understand how & why this plan works as well as, understanding it is not the "unhealthy" diet so many people have the misconception of it being. The following link may be helpful to you as well: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138091

As far as bacon without nitrates...Dr. Atkins recommended this due to nitrates being linked to cancer. I've heard others say they've been able to purchase nitrate-free bacon & sausage in their local supermarket, while I've heard others say they needed to purchase these items in a health food store. Others (myself included) eat regular bacon, sausage & canadian bacon with no difficulties. Be sure to read labels and not purchase products that are "sugar-cured" or "maple flavored" etc. I usually eat the Jones brand or Banquet (formerly Swift Premium) brown & serve breakfast sausage links which contain approx. 1 gram of sugar per serving. These have caused me no issues.

As for ranch dressing, I use a store brand that is 2 carbs per 2 Tbsp. serving. The other alternative of course, is to make your own http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/ranch_s..._dressing.html
But, I'm sure if you check the ranch dressings in the supermarket you can surely find one that would be suitable. The rule is, no more than 2 carbs per 2 Tbsp. serving.

I use Ortega brand Thick & Chunky Salsa which is 2 carbs per 2 Tbsp. Again, be sure to read labels.

The main objective of Induction is to rid yourself of high-carb sugary foods like breads, pasta & baked goods. You'll find totally avoiding sugar is close to impossible. There is sugar in foods you'd never dream of. My way of interperting labels as fas as sugar is concerned is to read the ingredients, if sugar is in the first few ingredients, I stay away from it.

Here's a link for some of the best low carb recipes on the web: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html
All the Induction friendly recipes are marked with an *

You CAN do this!! Feel free to post often & ask lots of questions!

All the best to you!!

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 130/125/115

Height: 5'1

Kim, you are incredible. My boyfriend and I just started Atkins, and I've found your help invaluable (including these recipes). Thank you so much for being so active and willing to share your wisdom.

chelle567: something that we've been eating (and you can find this in other threads, though I had a hard time finding it on Linda's list of recipes) is this "one minute muffin." I don't actually miss carbs, but I am worried about regularity. We went to Costco to get a fiber supplement, then realized when we got home that it contains aspartame. I've read people having no problems with aspartame or even the Costco brand specifically, but it still makes me nervous. Plus, this flaxseed gives me a more natural sense of regularity compared to the fiber, which always feels a bit forced for me.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup flax meal
1/2 tsp. baking powder (make sure yours is fresh, because if yours is 2 years old, you might get little white clumpies.... or so I've heard....lol)
1 tsp. Splenda
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 egg
1-2 tsp butter, melted

Servings: 1 Carbs per serving: about 1.5

Mix together the dry ingredients in a large coffee cup. Add the egg and butter, mix well. Microwave on high 50-60 seconds. The muffin pops right out! Butter and enjoy.
fatfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

Best fiber 'supplement' I've found (not suitable for induction) is a single serving of Fiber One cereal with 1/4 cup soy milk and a few berries.

Barring that, flax seed or psyllium husks (which I believe are suitable for induction, please correct me if I'm wrong).

Last edited by snapless; 07-23-2008 at 12:20 PM.
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:48 PM   #5  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Cool Please check my math...

I'm taking your advice and counting every carb. Please check to see if I've correctly figured out how many carbs are in my breakfast. I used the Atkins online counter you suggested...

1 egg .6
1 tsp. butter 0
1 oz. cheddar cheese 1
1 c. coffee
4 T. half and half (.6 x 4) 2.4
3 sl. natural bacon .1
Total 4.1 carbs breakfast

I'm re-thinking that 2.4 carbs for half and half; that's not a lot of bang for my carb. Maybe 2 T. heavy cream for .8?

Thanks a bunch.
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 130/125/115

Height: 5'1

Yes, Atkins mentions both flax seed and psyllium for fiber in his book (2002 ed.)
fatfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

sandyfanny, I use heavy cream in my coffee instead of half and half for the very reason you posted.

I'd use light cream if I could get it here...NOTE to self: Must ask the commissary to start ordering light cream.
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:07 AM   #8  
Less Juicey

Cool Heavy Cream

Snapless, I switched to heavy cream in my coffee this morning. It feels as if I'm doing something "bad." It's been so long since I've been on Atkins (I lost 70 pounds on it seven years ago) that I'm worried about gaining weight...psychological.

It makes no sense that I happily ate my way into seventy pounds but am worried about 2 T. heavy cream! Have a good one. I appreciate your encouragement and help. I'm going to weigh tomorrow...
Old 07-24-2008, 10:11 AM   #9  
Less Juicey

Cool In ketosis!

I celebrate all victories...however small. Just checked with a ketostix and, for the first, time had a very satisfying color change to between "trace" and "small." ****, yeah!
Old 07-24-2008, 10:29 AM   #10  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

FYI...Heavy cream = 0.8 carbs per 2 Tbsp...Light cream = 1.1 carbs per 2 Tbsp...and Half & Half = 1.3 carbs per 2 Tbsp.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote