Mediterranean Diet Recipes Recipes perfect for whole food diets or the Mediterranean diet. Recipes can fit in with the Sonoma Diet, but are not marked by waves.

Old 01-10-2005, 12:23 AM   #1  

Default Vegetarian Main Dishes

I didn't know what to call this section so Suzanne, change the name as you see fit.

Here is the recipe for cottage cheese roast. Linda changes are noted: And yes it sounds totally bizzare and weird. I usually make half a recipe instead of a whole one. It takes no time to assemble. I turn the oven on to preheat and before the oven is ready, I am finished assembling.

Cottage Cheese Roast

1 (16 ounce) package creamed cottage cheese -I use Low fat
1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
1 1/2 cups cornflakes cereal I use this amount in crushed cornflakes. Dump a bunch into food processor and measure afterwards
2 eggs, beaten - I use egg beaters
1/4 cup vegetable oil -I leave this out entirely

Linda addition - chopped fresh spinach and chopped garlic

Directions
1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a loaf pan.
2 In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese, eggs, vegetable oil, soup mix, walnuts and cereal.Spinach and garlic are added here too, if you use them Spoon into prepared pan. I top this with a mixture of ketchup and tabasco. Salsa also works
3 Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes. I bake it for an hour

I've never had this hot because it just doesn't appeal to me being hot. I eat it cold in whole wheat tortillas, with ketchup and kosher dill pickles. Think of this along the lines of a cold meatloaf sandwich. which most of us probably have had before.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 10:14 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

How many calories / servings is this Linda?
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 10:20 AM   #3  

Default Depends

The way I make it, I think it has about 200-250 a serving. Can't remember right now. You really should do your calculations for the ingredients you bring home. There can be a lot of variance in things. I enter all my ingreds into Dietpower and then divide by the serving size. If you are going to be watching calories, this might be something for you to look into. You can dled a free 15 day demo from their web site.

I use a LOT of recipes and I wouldn't be able to keep track accurately or as easily on paper.

And that is a non compensated PLUG!!
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:51 PM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hummus
1 can garbonzo beans
1 tsp. peanut butter
1 T. lemon juice
salt to taste
1-2 cloves garlic
1 tsp. cumin

Drain beans, reserving liquid. Place drained beans and remaining ingredients in blender. Blend until smooth, adding small amount of reserved liquid from bean, if needed.

Black Bean Hummus
1 can garbonzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1-2 cloves garlic
2-4 T. cilantro
Juice of 1 lemon
salt and pepper to taste
Dash of Tabasco sauce
2 T. cumin
1 T. fresh parsley

Place all ingredients into a food processor or blender and whiz until fairly smooth.

Red Pepper Hummus

2 c. cooked chickpeas( garbonzo beans)
1/2 c. roasted red pepper
1/2 c. chopped fresh parsley
1/4 c. lemon juice
1 T. peanut butter
3 cloves garlic
1 t. salt

Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Process until smooth.

Serve with fresh vegetables.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:48 PM   #5  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Default Zucchini

We have lots of zucchini & all my friends, neighbors lock their car doors so I can't unload on them.
I'm looking for your favorite way to prepare them as a side dish or vegetable. I belong to allrecipe.com plus some other recipe sites but nothing beats your personal favorites. I'm not looking for anything sweet, we're not bread, dessert types. Please post your favorites, Thanks!
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote