Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-16-2008, 12:06 PM   #1  
No description available.

Default Cycling Chicks---July

Hey ladies (and gents!)

I know that some of us are beginning cyclists and some are experienced. Let's try to get a monthly thread going where we can talk about our cycling efforts and share tips, stories, & motivation.

I've joined a local women's riding group and we had a class last weekend on how to clean and care for bikes. I learned a ton about the parts of bikes, cleaning gears, inspecting tires, etc. I even learned how to change an innertube---which is huge for me!

Last night, DD, DH & I rode around in the foothills. I learned a lot about braking, avoiding cacti, and changing gears. I got quite the workout in! I hope to get to a point where I don't curse every time I shift gears. I kept repeating "My brakes are my friend, my brakes are my friend"---especially when I was going downhill. I scared a rabbit, but I didn't see any rattle snakes, thank goodness!

I need to go shopping for some bike clothes. The crotch of my shorts kept getting caught on my seat and I got bicycle grease on my favorite running shirt.

The best part though is that last night, in the foothills, I actually had a lot of fun. I can't wait to do it again.

I know there are lots of cyclists on 3FC! Pull up a seat and tell me about your cycling adventures.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:15 PM   #2  
Something sparkly

S/C/G: 250/248/150

Height: 5'7"

Midwife,

I used to ride a lot (until last year) and mentored many people on completing century rides. If I can offer any advice, let me know.

I stopped after a back injury, still taking baby steps getting back into everything.

Cycling is awesome and a lot of fun... and once you get the braking and gearing down, life is golden... well... except on some hills.. no matter what, some are just beasts. I am new to the boards here, so forgive me if I am out of place.

I leave you with this one pearl of wisdom... It's just a hill, get over it.
S3 in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:22 PM   #3  

Hey S3!!

Glad to have you! I love your pearl of wisdom! I think I will share that with my DD who runs hills in cross country.

I have a little germ of a goal in my mind to ride a century. I think it would be such a great accomplishment. I spent 25 years with a severe bike phobia and just recently got back onto a bike. I am determined to learn as much as I can and become a good cyclist.

I'm so glad you're here at 3FC.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:48 PM   #4  
Something sparkly

I have completed 5 centuries so far and they are always an amazing experience. If you do decide to tackle one, remember it really is 90% mental. It is a bit tough to wrap your head around cycling 100 miles for some.

You have already taken a huge step in getting back on the bike!! Yeah!! Enjoy the time outside - you can see the most amazing things on the bike. It can even be a bit zen-like when you are out in the country. The rustle of the trees, birds singing and the hum of tires moving.

It is a lovely sport. Enjoy!
Old 07-16-2008, 07:28 PM   #5  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Aha, the promised cycling thread! w00t! Midwife -- what kind of bike do you have now?

I currently have an old Trek Antelope mountain bike (she's a heavy beastie) and a newer (2006) Trek FX "fitness bike" I guess they call them (they refer to it as a "bike path" model). Even though I cycle with triathlon in mind, I have not been able to bring myself to commit to an actual tri or road bike. I just hate the aero position, which is the whole idea with those bikes, lol. And clipless pedals scare the bejezus outta me, I just KNOW I'll eat it right into traffic at an intersection. I've got zero natural coordination.

I've ridden both of my bikes in sprint triathlon "fat tire" divisions, and at that distance they were fine. I'm not racing to be competitive anyway, more for the sheer fun of it. But if I ever wanna tackle anything longer than an Olympic distance tri (or actually want a shot at hardware in my age group), I'd really have to look at a road/tri bike. There is a local Olympic that will be my test case for this fact -- the biking distance is only 40k so really doable on my current FX, though the other cyclists will probably fly by me.

Midwife, I could so use that class you took I'm terrible at fixing flats and have yet to be able to do that on my own (I always give my DH a helpless look and he does it -- pretty lame!). I swear I get brain freeze when I have to work with anything mechanical!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:54 AM   #6  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

Cool! I am happy to see this thread. I enjoy cycling. We are out several times a week as a family. I am hoping to get more time on my own to built some speed/endurance skills. I am currently shopping for a speedometer. We bought a trail-a-bike earlier inthe spring to help our 4 yr old keep up on the street and in city bike paths. Of course we cycle on our camping trips, back and forth to school etc. Hubby bought me a Fuji bike this spring as well since my old norco moutaineer was 12 yrs old and very heavy. I cant beleive how light components are these days. I would love to join a womens riding club. We have a group in town that is called Recycle Cycle and they provide tones of help for free. Especially when you have donated bikes in the past! They teach unemployed people how to repair bikes as a skill then sell them. I look forward to getting to know people here!
JuliaDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:58 PM   #7  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Hi Julia! Sounds like you get alot of biking in during your day-to-day life, that's very cool! The Recycle Cycle club sounds really neat!

I am surprised we don't have more activity on this thread -- aren't there more bikers out there who want to chat?

Come out, come out wherever you are!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:04 PM   #8  
Freedom in living

There are a number of chicks in the 300+ that cycle. I did tell them earlier today about this thread starting!
Old 07-17-2008, 06:59 PM   #9  

Hey S3, my kid put "It's just a hill, get over it" on the back of one of her teeshirts after I told her about it. I'll try to get a picture up.

Josephine, I have a Trek 4300 (a 2009). I love it very much! My DH has the kind of shoes that clip to the pedals and I am so intimidated by that. That is something I will have to work up to.

I am intimidated by machinery of any kind too and that is one reason I am determined to learn as much as I can about my bike. My DH has been pretty good about showing me stuff but not doing it for me. Usually he just does stuff like that for me, but he is showing me how to load the bike rack and everything. I am such a newbie.

Hi Julia! Welcome to the thread. That is so great you bike with the family. Thanks for the shout on on the 300 lb club. Cute kid in your avatar!
Old 07-17-2008, 09:59 PM   #10  
FB

Ooooh! I love some cycling! Just got back from a quick ride myself. I ride as often as possible, almost every day, and always check the weather first thing in the morning. I have a good day if the weather's good enough for riding.

I totally credit cycling with the bulk of my weight loss.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:22 AM   #11  
Something sparkly

Midwife.. that is awesome. My friends made shirts that said that as fund raisers for their Team in Training campaign.. they sold well.. course, we always got glared at when we said it to people going up the hill.. not that I blamed 'em, we glared at our mentors when they said it to us..
Old 07-20-2008, 10:11 PM   #12  
FB

Hey Cycling Chicks! Did you have an action packed biking weekend? I got some time in, despite the heat index of 100+ degrees - yay!
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:40 PM   #13  
Freedom in living

We ended up doing some repairs DS aged 7 had a flat and so we taught him how to change a tube. But then it rained all day with thunder storms. We will go out tomorrow after work.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:56 PM   #14  
Freedom in living

Wow no one cycling?

DH bought me some new lights and a speedometre today! I was floored when I hit the 22km/h mark! I had the kids with me so I dont know how long I could keep that up for. I will have to try on my next kid free cycle trip.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:00 PM   #15  

Hey Julia,
Great job in the speed work!! I plan to get a speedometer (--re ) sometime too. My next big cycling episode will be next Sunday---I'm dragging DH down by the river for my first big ride.