Old 07-19-2008, 11:25 PM   #1  
Blue Blood

S/C/G: 293/274/150

Height: 5'10"

Default Will running hurt my knee?

I made a commitment to do the c25k program. My daughter agreed to do it with me I was very happy that she agreed because she needs to work on fitness also.

1 1/2 years ago I had surgery on my foot. I was unable to put weight on it for 3 months. When I did start walking on it again, I noticed that my knee felt like it would give out when going up and down stairs. I thought it was because I had been off of it for so long and it would build back up over time. It has actually got worse. It still hurts and feels like it will go out on stairs. Even bending it can be painful, especially after I have been sitting for a while...or when I get up in the morning.

Today My daughter and I started the c25k as planned. When we started, my knee really hurt. It got a little better as we continued but was quite painful the whole time we were running. Now it is swollen and stiff. Hurts alot when I bend it or get up after sitting for a while. I took some Motrin, but it still hurts.

My daughter and I are supposed to go running again tomorrow. If I can stand the amount of pain, would it damage my knee if I run on it if I have some arthritis in it? If it is arthritis, will loosing weight make it possible to run without pain? What about walking? Will it continue to a point where I can't even walk?

I am so frightened. I really don't know anything about arthritis.

Thanks,

D
djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:41 PM   #2  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

You really need to speak with your doc. If you have pain, don't run.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:53 PM   #3  
Something sparkly

S/C/G: 250/248/150

Height: 5'7"

listen to your body.. pain is a big, glaring, neon red flag.

don't run tomorrow.. listen to fiberlover.. go see your doctor.
S3 in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:12 AM   #4  
Blue Blood

I think I knew that...but don't want to be a quitter or let my daughter down.
I will wait to talk to my doctor before I go running again.

Does anyone know if arthritis in your knee can be controlled enough to run or at least walk regularly? It is really frightning to think I may not ever be able to go hiking again.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:22 AM   #5  
Something sparkly

S/C/G: 250/248/150

Height: 5'7"

djay,

this might not be arthritis, it might be a tendon issue, a joint issue, a muscle issue, etc. See what the doc says and what you can do to help it. Just call on Monday and make the appt.. and try not to do any internet diagnoses - they just make you more crazy/worried.

Chances are, there is something that can be done, no matter what is going on, that will let you hike again. It might not be tomorrow or next week, but it can happen.

And not going because you are in pain is NOT quitting. It would probably let your daughter down more to keep hurting yourself and causing further injury.
S3 in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:30 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 360/309/185

Height: 6'1

djay, all very smart responses pain is an indicator something is wrong... thing is... only your doctor can really tell you.
Arthritis can be controlled enough, absolutely- in some cases In other cases, it will be better once you have lost weight.

The biggest thing, I would say is to stop the c25k- and start working on strengthening your knees. We tend to abuse our limbs, especially the lower ones with the more weight we put on. Let the knee recoup, talk to your doctor and then work on strength training... think of it as physical therapy for your knee. It could honestly just be like ARGH since you've not used it as someone without foot injury would.

Once the swelling in your knee has gone down and you can start walking again without noticing a difference in your gait... the best knee exercise I've found is from someone who was big into holistic practices, and chinese muscle strengthening activities...

stand with feet together, bend the knees slightly, placing your palms on your knee caps, and start making tiny circles with both knees... keep them together and do two two sets of fifteen, one set going in clockwise circles, the other set going counter clockwise... if any part of your feet come up off the floor, you're circles are too big. It doesn't seem like much, but it helps the joints.

Ask your doc about taking CosaminDS Glucosamine/chondroiton capsules... he'll be able to tell you if your body can handle taking it. It helps the fluidity in your joints, helping with arthrities... my father LOVES it. He's up and down ladders all day at 54 with major arthritis

Let us know what your doc says

Last edited by bettyred; 07-20-2008 at 12:33 AM.
bettyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:15 AM   #7  
No description available.

I also agree you should see your doctor before attempting to run again.

I would also advise you get shoes with the assistance of someone who knows what they are doing. It is impossible to choose good running shoes just off the rack or shopping unless you know what kinds of shoes you need. Depending on your foot, arch, pronation tendancy (or not) you will require a shoe with cushion or more stability or whathaveyou. I advise finding a store where they watch your gait and help you select the correct shoe. After you are cleared by your doctor of course.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:54 PM   #8  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

I'm going to echo what's been said. Pain means stop. You DO NOT WANT TO MESS with knee pain. (heh trust me, I'm a long time knee pain messer)

I would try to find somebody.. a chiro or sports therapist that can show you strengthening exercises for your knee and leg muscles. They can make all the difference if done consistently. (that and good shoes from somebody who knows what they're talking about!)

Last edited by valpal23; 07-20-2008 at 12:58 PM.
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:05 PM   #9  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Normally, no. In fact, it has been shown to improve joint function.

However, it sounds like there is something else going on. Swelling, pain, and stiffness, especially in the knee are clear indications that you should go see your doc. The sooner you get the go ahead from your doctor, the sooner you can get back out there. I would not run again until you've been checked out.

And second what valpal said- ask your doctor about sports/physical therapy.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:14 PM   #10  
Blue Blood

OK. I went to the doctor today. I was pretty much right. She said I have some arthritis in that knee because of a double whammy. 1. my weight and 2. the surgery that was performed on my foot 1 1/2 years ago has changed the way my weight is distributed and has changed th "architecture" of the knee. So I moved the problem from my foot to my knee. GREAT!

She gave me some excersises to do to strengthen the muscles around the knee and some arthritis meds. No running or high impact arobics for me.

The good news....If I loose the weight, I should be able to run again and It may cure it altogether!

Thanks for all the kind words, and advice!

D
Old 07-21-2008, 10:12 PM   #11  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Good for you for finding out, djay! Now you know! You don't have to feel like you're "a quitter" or any of that stuff. And you can take care of your knee(s) and help get better.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 07-21-2008 at 10:13 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote