Old 07-19-2008, 11:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 281/264/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Looking for Resource

Hi

I'd like to start counting calories and I've found a website to give me that information but I'm looking for something that tells me how many calories I need to eat in a day.

Any suggestions?
TechieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:49 AM   #2  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

i'd say if you want to be 150 eat about 1400 calories a day.
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:54 AM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I'm calorie counter and want to suggest a couple of things. First, you might want to check out the calorie counter community here at 3fc. Second, go on Google and do a search for Resting Metabolic Rate calculator. You will be asked to plug in your weight, height, and I think gender. It will give you an estimate of how many calories your body burns if you stay in bed all day. I would eat that amount. That way, any exercise you add to your program will be creating a major deficit in calories and, thus, lead you to lose weight. Some people eat one or two hundred calories more or less than this number, but you could decide that on your own after you try it out and see how it works for you. By the way, the more muscle mass you have, the more calories you will burn while at rest, so I highly recommend lifting weights too. Sorry if you already know all this, but I just can't help myself!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:56 AM   #4  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Here is one website you could use:

http://www.start-losing-weight-today.com/rmr.html
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:56 AM   #5  
it's always something

It really varies by person because our individual metabolisms vary so much. Plus, many people have to gradually reduce calories as they move closer to their goal so you don't want to start out too low. I think it's safer to start at a higher end and work down. Your goal is 1 to 2 pounds per week. Start at 1800 and see if you lose weight. If so, stick with it until later on when your loss slows, then reduce it a little more.

Trial and error
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:28 PM   #6  

I like NutriMirror.com. It computes how many calories you need based on your Resting Metabolic Rate and your activity level and logged exercises, then adjusts your daily calorie recommendations to a number that will let you meet your weight goal. It even has a feature that I haven't seen anywhere else that will let you override your basic RMR number if you know your metabolism is different from what you get from standard calculations.
tjbop66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 281/264/150

Height: 5'5"

Wow........thanks everyone! I'll take a look at everything you've posted.
TechieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 240/216.6/140

Height: 5'6

I'm checking out nutrimirror as compared to sparkpeople. Nutri is harder for me to figure out how to imput foods.
I don't know how to put in my supplements in either. -_-
flutestarkiss9 is offline   Reply With Quote