Old 04-28-2005, 06:00 PM   #1  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

Question Pocket Calorie Guide

When I was in England I used to have one called Your Greatest Guide to Calories which was about half the size of a regular magazine and was published quarterly, I believe. It listed all the generic foods plus restaurant and takeaway meals.

I've enquired at Chapters and the supermarkets but no one seems to have heard of anything like that here in Alberta.

Can anybody here recommend one for me please?
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 08:24 PM   #2  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Calorieking.com has a new book out, and judging from how excellent their online database is, I'd recommend the book. They also have it in Palm or PocketPC version for those who have pocket computers. http://calorieking.com is their address.
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 09:36 PM   #3  
Made in England!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenwife
Calorieking.com has a new book out, and judging from how excellent their online database is, I'd recommend the book.
That's just what I'm looking for! They say they don't ship to Canada though which is a shame. Their on-line database is very impressive though, I agree.

Thanks for the pointer.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:26 PM   #4  
Howie6267's Honey

Do you know of someone they could ship it to, who could then re-ship it your way? Wink-wink, nudge-nudge.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:50 PM   #5  
Made in England!

Silly me! They do ship to Canada, they just can't process the orders on-line. My hubby's just told me he phoned them up and ordered one for me this morning. He's a real sweetie.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:13 PM   #6  
Howie6267's Honey

Hey, great! Nice fella you have there. Let us know what you think about the book once you get it, pro's and con's, okay?
Old 05-23-2005, 05:48 PM   #7  
Made in England!

Thumbs up Pocket Calorie, Fat, & Carb counter from CalorieKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenwife
Let us know what you think about the book once you get it, pro's and con's, okay?
Overall, I think it's a great book. It's about 6"X4" with over 300 pages and is printed on pretty good quality paper.

The bulk of the book is devoted to listing the nutritional content of foods: it lists calories, grammes of fat, and grammes of carbohydrate in both branded and generic foods, and each is colour-coded to make it easy to read the values at a glance. There are even mini lists showing the alcohol, fibre, sodium, caffeine, iron, protein, and cholesterol content of various (mostly generic) foods. (Did you know there are 1700 mg of cholesterol in 3 oz pan-fried beef brains? Did you want to know!?)

There's a huge section dedicated to restaurants and fast-food places, and there are some great informational pages dealing with diabetes, exercise and weight control tips, recommended fat and carbohydrate intake, along with little hints and quips throughout the book.

Because it's from the States, most measurements are in imperial; i.e., ounces rather than grammes. As an Englander, that suits me just fine although I have to remember that the U.S. fluid ounces are larger than those in the U.K..

My only (small) complaint is that meat, fish, and chicken items could have been listed per ounce rather than say, "a 3½ oz portion". I suspect the reason they do this is to give an idea of appropriate portion sizes, but I find it a little irritating.

Well worth $6.99, in my opinion. Conversion and postage hiked it up to CDN$17 but I don't care 'cause hubby paid.

Last edited by TooFatFish; 05-23-2005 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:21 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 154 lbs

Height: 5 foot 5

Default re> Your Greatest Guide to Calories from Sharman

Hi Everyone,

I was browsing on the internet to find this little book and came across your site. If you type in 'Slimming Magazine' to your browser you will find the book there but you have to join the site and place an order for at list 6 issues:

You may be able to order just the one copy from Amazon?

Hope the diets are going well. I remember I went down to 122 lbs using a calorie controlled diet when I was 27 but I'm in my 50's now and I doubt I'd look very good at that wieght.....haha...to many wrinkles.

Sharman :-)

Last edited by Sharman; 07-19-2008 at 03:36 AM.
Sharman is offline   Reply With Quote