Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 10:39 AM   #1  
Stepping Up

S/C/G: 228/ticker/160

Height: 5ft 9.5

Default torn about my sleeve

help ladies!!!!

i think i wanna make my half sleeve a full sleeve.

but im slightly worried about future jobs seeing as i havent decided what i actually want to be yet when i grow up

possibly a teacher, possibly stay on at uni on the staff researching, possible police force or possibly with t mobile in the management team.

if i took it lower i think id like to blend along my forearm with alot of roses, and maybe another pin up ?
Old 07-18-2008, 01:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 138/127/120

Height: 5'4

I wouldn't do it...especially with the future jobs you say you want to get.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:33 PM   #3  
Stepping Up

S/C/G: 228/ticker/160

Height: 5ft 9.5

in the uk at least the jobs i mentioned have no issue with tattoos, as long as they are covered.

within the next 10 years i can pretty much confidently say that tattoos within the workplace will no longer be an issue, and policies against them will be outlawed as discriminatory.

my fiance is a manager at t mobile, and he has a full sleeve, and leg sleeve, he just has to wear long sleeve uniform, the other managers even have hand, and foot tattoos on show all the time.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 138/127/120

Height: 5'4

Wow, I wish I lived in the UK!
Old 07-19-2008, 07:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 188/179/130

Height: 5'5.5"

Hi Paula!

I know in the US, there are almost no problems in almost any job as long as they are covered. I have one on the back of my calf (huge), a small one on the back of my neck, and a medium sized one on the inside of my wrist/forearm. I have worked with T-Mobile corporate with no problems. The police are quite strict on tattoos over here, though. I'm not sure about staff at a University, though I would think you're fine. If anything you might just have to wear a cute sweater or overshirt.

I say go for it! Tattoos are fun . I have a rose/treble clef design on my wrist/arm and I've always thought pin up tattoos are so brazen and sexy!
Old 07-19-2008, 08:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 158/148/130

Height: 5'7"

I never imagined I'd be working in the job I'm now in. I'd worked for myself for about 10 years when I got my tattoo which is a very large and brightly colored tentacled starfish. I love it and don't regret getting it at all. I'm not at all shy about showing it off.
However, I now have a new job that is high up in a very old-boy institution. When I'm at certain work-related functions, like pool parties and conferences at resorts, it's difficult to conceal (I've even worn rash guard shirts when my boss took me boating and I had to bribe his teenage son not to rat me out when I took him on vacation with me...). The job is ultra-conservative and people (including my boss) make disparaging remarks about tattoos and people who were them (never suspecting I have one). They even talked about not hiring a woman as a secretary who had one on her belly that showed through her shirt! One younger person at my job has come out of the closet and eventually I will, too, eventually - once I feel more secure in my power base there. I don't want my tattoo to bias them against my professional performance.
Time's are changing, but not quickly enough in some circles. And life is long!
Old 07-21-2008, 04:36 AM   #7  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

Half sleeves are sooo sexy on women. I would love to do them myself.

I really do think that if you were going to stay in the UK you'd probably be fine- but the US is a bit behind on that front.

For this reason I've been agonizing over getting a little ear stretching done for several months. I have decided I'm going to do it- but not too big. I had a job a couple of years ago where I had to worry sometimes about making sure I don't wear a skirt or a sleeveless shirt to avoid anyone at work seeing my tattoos. They actually made you cover them with a bandage if they were visible! so stupid. Also- it was a call center job- I wasn't even around people who would see me!

Last edited by lizziep; 07-21-2008 at 04:37 AM.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

In the teaching field in the US, most tattoos must be covered. Occasionally you'll see a teacher with an ankle tat. For the most part, you don't see that many. Good luck!
Old 07-21-2008, 04:37 PM   #9  
Oh yeah? Just watch me!

S/C/G: 219/see ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Hey hey Paula, I went to tattoo artists a couple times in my twenties looking to get some gauntlets and was talked out of it everytime... stupid stupid stupid! I kept saying that I knew what I wanted and that I didnt care about jobs that wouldnt let me have my tattoos, I would find jobs where they would let me have them. So I ended up with shoulder work and ankle work and thigh work and breast work and even a little one on my wrist, but never the gauntlets I wanted. Im now getting them! I guess its better late than never and Ive really had time to design exactly what I want but... I really wish I had not been talked out of them so many times.
If its what you want to do then go for it! There are a lot of companies who wont hire you, but there are alot who will! Dont box yourself in. I figure Im working mass hard on the size of my body, I have a right, an obligation to decorate it as my mind sees fit! So there! (stupid talk-out-of-ers) Im 37, and I dont give a rats arse anymore. I do henna all the time, so i dont see what the diff is. And sleaves are soooooo sexy on a chick. Keep us all posted, please! Missy
Old 07-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #10  
Oh yeah? Just watch me!

S/C/G: 219/see ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

... also Ive seen a few male teachers with tattoos... gym teacher, shop teacher, even my world civ teacher. (20 years ago I admit, but still, just a thought)
Old 07-21-2008, 08:53 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 283/see ticker/180?

Height: 5'9"

BTW -- the secretary whose belly tattoo showed thru her shirt?? It was kinda stupid to wear something semi-transparent to a job interview, no? That may have been an influence as much as the tat itself.

I do think the US is more conservative, but I too say go for it. : )
anita
Old 07-23-2008, 08:16 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 158/148/130

Yep - semi-transparent shirt at job interview wasn't greatest idea! (At least not for that job....)
Old 08-01-2008, 05:49 PM   #13  
Peace. Love. Balance

S/C/G: 199/128/125 (new goal of 115)

Height: 5'3

[QUOTE=PrettyPaula;2275756]in the uk at least the jobs i mentioned have no issue with tattoos, as long as they are covered.
[/QUOTE

What if it's hot and you will always have to wear long sleeve shirt?

I think the full sleeve tattoos can look good on the right person and depending on what you get tattooed on your too obviously.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:40 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 183/135

Height: 5'3

hey there! i say go for it...since you have 1/2 sleeves anyway...

and honestly, i think that if you are discreet about what you wear, no job should discriminate. i know at my company (which is a conservative luxury goods company) they don't care as long as you cover your tattoos up.

i want to get 1/2 sleeves and large backpiece within the next couple of years but am still hunting for the perfect tattoo artist. the artists ive used in the past have both moved away.

(any suggestions? i live in the NYC metro area)
Old 08-13-2008, 07:25 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Hmmm....

Now I *LOVE* tattoos...but I would advise against the full sleeve, unless you are in a successful rock band, or you are a tattoo artist yourself.

It isn't just about the jobs...it is also about attending weddings, graduations, funerals, and the fact that at some point in time, you are going to be 80 years old.

I have 4 tattoos, and my nose is pierced-but if I need to attend a funeral, or otherwise look sweet and professional, I can. I can also cover them all up when I am 80, and pull out the nose jewelry if at that point in time, I find that I no longer want them to show. (It is hard to say how you will feel about your tats 30, 40, or 50 years down the line!!!)

Also, if you have to cover them up for work, or another setting, you would have to wear long sleeves...not so pleasant in July and August.

Now I LOVE tattoos, as I said before. I just want to be sure that if I ever wanted them not to show (I am 32 years old, and I could feel differently about people seeing them 32 MORE years from now!) I want to have that option. Even though we may still be alternative at heart, the fact is, is that the arm skin and all that isn't going to look like it does now when we are 80. My mom works at a nursing home, and sees all kinds of old tattoos that no longer look so hot!
Closed Thread