Old 07-18-2008, 01:13 PM   #1  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Default O/T FINALLY, an update on my Mama

What a bloody rollercoaster!

After a chest x-ray in March, then a CT, and two (negative) bronchoscopies including multiple biopsies...my Mom FINALLY had her PET scan last week on Wednesday.

Wednesday, we went to get the results.
We finally know that it IS cancer. The main tumor in her left hilum lit up (SUV max 8.8...whatever that means.)

But it appears from the PET that that is the ONLY place that appears cancerous (good news?). Nothing in lymph nodes, none of the other "stuff" from the CT scan lit up either.

I asked the doctor if that classifies her as a stage 1...he said no, because the tumor is very close to her pulmonary artery. He would guess her to be a 2b, or a 3a?
He said he thinks she may be a candidate for radiation only. He said normally, they would just take that whole left lung out, but because of her emphysema, she'd only be left with 25% lung function, so...not an option for her.

She will be referred to an Oncologist in Victoria, even though we still don't have a tissue biopsy to get the type. I don't know how long that will take.

SO, what I feel, is that this is the best news we could get...short of it not being cancer at all....am I insane for thinking this way??

Please share ANY and all thoughts you might have about what I've said...I barely know the meanings of what I've written!

That's my Mommy update for now, I know some of you have been waiting for this news...just like me

Thank you so much for being there for me, my beautiful friends....I love you!

Linda

Last edited by famograham; 07-18-2008 at 01:13 PM.
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:43 PM   #2  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

At least you have a course of action now for your mom. I think given the situation, this news is as good as you can hope for.

Let us know how she does with the oncologist.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

It's got to be nice to know whats going on, I find the worst is not knowing and what the imagination can do! I also barely understand what you've written, BUT, it sounds like its good news, at least the cancer hasn't spread elsewhere.

Keep your spirits strong!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:26 PM   #4  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Linda, I'm not as knowledgeable about lung cancer as I am about other types, but the news sounds fairly positive to me. I'm glad she now has some answers.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:11 PM   #5  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

ty for the update. take care!!
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:14 AM   #6  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

You were right, I had been waiting. I used to work for these weasels* http://www.cancer.org so I know a thing or two about cancer. Lung is one of the hardest to treat, because your lungs are inside the body & hard to get to just like your colon, it's not like melanoma where they can just remove it real easily. BUT the fact that it's so isolated to that one spot is great news. GREAT news about the lymph nodes, because that was my next question. And of course the stage, the lower the better. So hopefully the dr's in Victoria will put her on the radiation right away. The sooner the better!

Thank you for sharing this with us. I will continue to pray for her.

*I know they do a lot of good things, but I stand by my statement. You can PM me for specifics.

Last edited by SuchAPrettyFace; 07-19-2008 at 01:14 AM.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:06 PM   #7  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Thanks so much everybody

Aimee, I'd love for you to PM me details on the weasels, hopefully they are less weasel-y in Canada!

I love you guys,

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:05 AM   #8  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Yes, I have been waiting too!! I am sorry that it's cancer, but I am glad that you now know EXACTLY what it is! Now you can start to treat it!! We are here for you!!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:56 PM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

FINALLY. Now you've got something you can work with and a course of action can begin.

Sending good thoughts to both Mom and you and the entire family.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:57 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Thanks for the update. It's good to know...so now you can procede with the next course of action.

I wish her well...and all of your family too.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:10 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

You and your family are in my thoughts. Let us know how the oncologist goes!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:26 PM   #12  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Thank you for letting us know Linda. I'm glad your Mom will be starting her treatment and wish her all the best.

I do understand how you feel. Both my mom and brother have cancer and you develop a new "normal" regarding how you think about things. When news is very difficult you become appreciative of each positive bit.

You and your mom are in my thoughts. Stay strong.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:25 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Linda,

I'm sending healing thoughts and prayers to your mama and to you! It is always better to know what you are fighting. My sister was diagnosed with breast cancer 3 1/2 years ago, she is cancer free now, but as awful as it was, the fight against the disease also brought us lots of meaningful and memorable times together, it reminded us how important it is to share time and to say the things we want to. It changed both of our lives. (She jokes that I got all the benefits without having to get the cancer.)

Stay strong
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote