Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 07:16 PM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50 & 60 yr Olds #184

G'day all,

At the start of another week after a VERY hectic weekend but we have moved!
Our last night at our 'old' apartment was very eventful. The apartments are on the corner of a very busy intersection and dh and I have marvelled that there are never any accidents. When we watch from the 11th floor cars darting here there and everywhere, it is nothing short of amazing. Fridaynight the inevitable happened and we heard two cars hit. An awful sound but fortunately no-one seemed to be seriously injured, cars were an absolute mess.
We went to bed about midnight and I woke up about 3 hearing a lot of shouting and swearing coming from the hotel opposite us. I got up to have a look with the binoculars and could see thugs belting into a man and when his female companion stepped in, they got stuck into her as well! It was really quite scary. Security from the hotel did very little, people were out on the road preventing cars from continueing their journey and they were honking their horns. Within a very short time 3 police cars came roaring up and the thugs just scattered. Finally went back to bed about 4 am, dh never heard a thing
We started moving about 1.30 pm and by 4pm we were settled into our new apartment which is on the complete opposite side of the building overlooking the harbour and city lights.
The most notable thing is that it is very quite
We should be quite comfortable here for the rest of our Sydney stay.
Yesterday parts of the city were blocked off for the making of "Matrix", they had low flying helicopters through the city. We could see them from our apartment, very flashy helicopters with a 'gold' bulbous nose type thing on the front of it.
Our binoculars have never had so much use as they have had here in Sydney!

At the weekend another production of 'Man of La Mancha' has started, I would like to go and will check out to see if there are any seats available.

We have been hearing about your (USA) weather, the floods, the fires and the heat. Hope none of you are affected too badly.

Keep well and healthy!
Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 07-07-2002 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-08-2002, 11:03 AM   #2  
Life Time 2001

Maria: Your new apartment sounds wonderful. Over looking the Harbour sounds awesome! Glad its alot quiter (?) to.

Had a busy weekend. Went shopping for a Curio Cabinet yesterday and I found one. Gonna be delivered next week! Yeah! Now I can get some of the scattered stuff off my shelfes and things.
Suppose to get really hot here this week up to 110° ! ALAS!!!!!!!!

Have a great day all!
Old 07-08-2002, 04:23 PM   #3  
Fun Blonde

We are back from vacation! Oh, how I dreaded coming in this morning. I am the only one in the office for the first 3 days. And the AC is off. Seems they are doing some work on the 4th floor and have the ac off because of asbestos. I am just pretty darned miserable! AND my new boss came in with his assistant and met with me to tell me how they are restructuring the office. Sounds like it could be a positive restructuring, but not sure right now. I just don't do well on changes.

We had a good (great!) time on vacation. There were 26 family members at the same motel--my sister and her 4 grown kids and us and our two and their families. The only bad thing was that so much was closed because of the danger of fire in the Carson National Forest. But the cousins had a good time golfing, bar-hopping, playing cards, and shopping. In fact, we all had a great time. I went off the diet, but only for 2 days. While I was off, I had some things I had been wanting--like Baskin Robbins and movie popcorn. But I am back to the good and sensible life now.

Hope everyone else is staying cool. I am running lots of fans.
Glenda
Old 07-08-2002, 06:45 PM   #4  

G'day all,

Good for you Lily finding the cabinet you want, I am sure you will have fun filling it!

Glenda You would not want my life if you don't do well with change
Your holiday sounded good fun and a great opportunity to catch up with all family members.
I am sure the changes in your office will be fine but what is not so fine is no ac , amazing how we have come to rely on airconditioning so much, how did the pioneers cope. I am glad I wasn't one of them, I do like my comforts.
You are all having a very hot time, I hope that doesn't translate that we will be in for a very hot summer

Peggy how did your meeting go with your internet friend, any surprises????

Slavika you normally post most days and I haven't see you post a few days, hope everything is ok.

I am very excited, today I pick up the upgrade to Adobe Photoshop 7. It has so many great new things in it, cannot wait to start experimenting, work is very slack again so plenty of time.

The new apartment is so much better and very quite. Slept well last night, the first time in a long time.

Have a great day all, keep cool
Cheers
Maria
Old 07-08-2002, 11:49 PM   #5  
Net browser

Default ...I'm here

Hi Everybody I'm here. I stopped by and read but I have been a little busy with family so just didn't get down to posting. Gee, Glenda with a new boss. Lily with a new cabinet and Maria with a new apartment. I also think Karen mentioned maybe getting a new car. Lot's happening!
Lily, I bet you have some beautiful treasures to put into your new cabinet. About 3 years ago my grandchildren painted faces on rocks that the Princess called "googeeks", and gave them to me. LOL now you know what kind of treasures I have.
Maria, is your new apartment 11 floors up too? Maybe I missed that in your posting. I guess your new location is quieter then your other apartment was, but maybe not as exciting. Glenda, I'm not big on change either, but I have learned that sometimes, as you know who says, "it's a good thing". With the new boss comes new ways of doing things that might make your work more interesting. Glad you enjoyed your holiday, but sorry you came back to work and the AC was off. I had a birthday dinner for my DIL yesterday. I gave her a choice of menu and she picked Greek Ribs and a Greek Salad. I got some lovely back ribs from Costco and the meal turned out really great. I did up some twice baked potates and made a Chocolate Meringue Pie for dessert. I also made an Angel Food Cake (grandson's favorite) and something to stick birthday candles in. Today I had the Princess here for a short time and then she went to the movies with a friend and the friends Dad so it was just me and my grandson hanging out together. My DIL went to get her hair done as she is leaving tomorrow morning for a 10 day holiday, with the children, to her brother's place. My Son, just finished a weeks holiday with them, but went back to work today, saving the rest of his holidays for a later date. My Grandson and I went to the local small Mall this afternoon to buy books/bubble gum/candy etc.....the essentials for this car journey that they are taking. One of our stops was the Dollar store and he asked if he could PLEASE have this key chain THING, that had a head, and small legs and arms and a butt. The whole thing was made of a rubber (like baby toys). The only thing was, when you squeezed it made the same sound as a "whoopee cushion" except it REALLY sounded like the real thing. Of course I love this child to death, and he was looking into my heart with those incredibly blue eyes, what was Grandmother to do. I bought it! Our next stop was the Drug store. As we are walking hand in hand down the Mall, he is squeezing the bag, so that anyone near us could HEAR those obscene sounds best left in the bathroom. I said, you have to stop doing that, as people as starting to look strangely at your Baba. Well, being a 8 year boy, he thought this was just the funniest thing ever. LOL Tomorrow is Tea Time, but it will just be Trudy and I. I guess we will have to talk enough so that we won't notice that the other gals aren't with us.

Last edited by slavika; 07-09-2002 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-09-2002, 12:31 AM   #6  

We too have been busy, We went snorkling on Friday and had a great time. Thursday we went to St Cloud and bought DH a new chair for his birthday . Saturday it was off to the family reunion at the lake . Another great time. The weather was hot and sticky but all my little Grand Kids had a great time in the lake. It was nice to connect with all my Aunts and Uncles and some cousins. We did start the day off with the memorial service for my Uncle. That turned out to be a bit harder than any of us thought. but it is over and we can finally close the book on that. Sunday Dh birthday we went to a movie and to dinner just the 2 of us. And then today My car arrived so got it. It's a 2001 blue Ford Focus sadan. With all the bells and whistles. It is beautiful. And was suprised at all the room in the trunk. With all the junk I haul around for my meetings it will be great!
Maria glad you got moved. What a send off you got from the other apt. Car crash, Fights, Police cars. Sounds just like the movies.
Slavika Grandsons are just boys and love to do things like that the more embarrassing the better.
Glenda glad you had fun on your vacation. NO A/C In the heat we have been having I think I would have melted for sure in that office.
Lily glad you found your Cabniet. i need one of those too. ive got a lot of little thing I've collected for years and Have them still in boxes so maybe that is next. 110 The heat must be unbearable! How do you handle it. We get heat index of 105 when it is 88 and the dew points atr 70. What kind of heat index do have for 110?
Got to go to bed. My day starts early.
By, By
Karen
Old 07-09-2002, 11:41 AM   #7  
Life Time 2001

Maria: Lucky you with the new Photoshop. Have fun playing! No need for me to find things to fill the cabinet. It will be well stocked. Need to quit buying or I will have to get another cabinet

Glenda: Sounds like you had a great vacation! Its always hard coming back.

Slavika: You should of known the prince would of embarrased you with his new found toy! Think I would of crawled under a rock
Your dinner sounded wonderful! Have a great visit with Trudy and tell her Hello!

Karen: The Humidity is around 57° and the dew point is the same at 57°.
Its really not to bad. Im use to it. Most summers are like this here.
Your new car sounds beautiful! The blues they are coming out with now are really pretty! I would like to try snorkling one of these days. Think it would be fun.

Later must get to work.
Old 07-09-2002, 06:53 PM   #8  

G'day all,

Lucky you Karen your new car sounds wonderful There is a Dutch saying when you have something new and that is translated 'may you enjoy and use it in good health'! so please do

Slavika I can see why you haven't done much posting, sounds like you have had a very busy and enjoyable time. Your cooking just sounds delicious. Hope you had a nice 'teatime' with Trudy, I do miss her posts.

Lily It would have been good if I had gotten Photoshop7 last night but the copy they promised me someone else sold and now I have to go on the waiting list
If you get an opportunity have a go at snorkling, I thought I would drown and would not try it for a long time, but it really is fun and what a different world there is to see under the water

Now for my 'pet hate'
As you all know I adapt reasonably well to change but the biggest thing that just gets on my goat is REMOTE CONTROLS
Why oh why is every remote control another excercise designed for Rhode Scholars and people with perfect eyesight
You would think that all the remotes in these apartments are the same but no I now have one with so many buttons that last night I walked over to the TV to try and do it the 'old' way, but that is also far from easy.
I think remote controls should be standardised, with big letters for PLAY, STOP, VOLUME, RECORD etc. etc. none of these fancy symbols that take me forever to work out which is which.
I guess by the time I leave here I will have understood the remotes so I can then go home and get used to them at home again
Then I thought I would do some ironing , the iron was brand new and had all sorts of gadgets on it as well and did not work. After half an hour or so trying to figure out something simple like an iron, I gave up and rang reception who brought up another iron and told me that the iron was broken and should have been replaced before we moved in.
Other than the above all is well and I will take some photos of our view and post them on the net, the lights at night are quite spectacular.

Have a great day/night all,
Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 07-09-2002 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-09-2002, 07:23 PM   #9  

Default An iron with gadgets?

That must have been one fancy iron. Maria, your new place sounds so much quieter than the old one. Be still my heart, I dont't think I would have liked all a that excitement. Just like a man to sleep through it too. lol I can see why your nocs are getting so much use. It is a good thing that you can go with the flow and not let all this moving get to you. You know that a MAN invented remote controls. That is why they are so confusing. They never let loose and when they do there is nothing worth watching. Lily, a new curio cabinet. Do you collect any certain thing or just whatever. You deserve it cause you work so hard. Karen you car sounds wonderful. There is nothing like the smell of the interior when a car is new. I love it. Snorkeling does sound like fun. I have never tried it. Slavika, that is just like a boy. I got a good chuckle reading that. Any gross noise that could come from a body part...my kids liked all that when back when. Our museum center has a display for kids now call Grossology. It tells all about things in the body like snot and stuff. He would probably like it. Glenda, sure hope the ac is on. It is too hot to work without it. Hope the new boss works out ok too and doesn't try to change too much for you. I have to work my way up to change in things like that. Glad you are back safely. Had lunch yesterday with my eDiet friend. She was just as nice in person as she is online. She is from the south and has the accent so it took a while to adjust to that. We are supposed to get some rain and I sure hope so. It is so dry. After all the rain we had in the spring I didn't think I would ever be saying that. My flowers are all in bloom and I am probably going broke trying to keep up with the watering. Yesterday was my dh's birthday. I made a good cake. I took an angel food cake and sliced it across in 3 layers. I mixed 2 boxes of sugar free instant vanilla pudding with 2 1/2 cups of skim milk. Then I mixed in 8 oz of the new strawberry cool whip and some freshly sliced strawberries. I layered it between the slices and refrigerated. It was soooo good. See you all later,
Old 07-09-2002, 08:00 PM   #10  
Net browser

Default ...ohhhh Strawberry coolwhip

Hi Everybody I just had to get my two cents in. My answering machine died so DH and I went out and got a new one. This one was NEW so it is digital and does not have a little tape like my old one. WELL.......it took me forever to get it working and then the sound on it was just terrible, and it was a fairly expensive machine. Ok, so back it goes. This time we decide we will get a cordless phone/answering machine/call display unit all in one. GEEZ..... Maria I know exactly what you are talking about. The instruction booklet that came with it is 63 pages long. This is an example of one little things that they give you instructions on.
5) Use the number keys, */tone/<,#/> to edit the name. I'm thinking this is harder then when I first got my computer. I think the SAME man designed both. I have it set now that the phone rings (that was another thing, it nearly blasted me out of the room when it rang it was so LOUD. It was my Son, and I said, how do I turn it down so it doesn't ring so loud, he said, oh, for that you will have to go to the menu. What ever happened to that little wheel thing at the side of a phone that you just turned. Well I managed to get it pretty much set up, but I didn't take advantage of the 20 additional little options.

Peggy Strawberry Coolwhip, oh, we don't have that here yet. I think we're maybe going to go to the States this summer and I will pick some up. The cake sounded really good.
Talk to you all later.

Last edited by slavika; 07-10-2002 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-09-2002, 10:04 PM   #11  

Strawberry cool Whip? Is it low fat?
Karen
Old 07-10-2002, 10:00 AM   #12  
Fun Blonde

Slavika - you made me laugh out loud. Whatever did happen to that little wheel thing that you turned when you wanted the volume to go up and down. It must have been too simple. We MUST go to a MENU whenever we do anything to our machines. Remember when menus were those paper things they gave you in restaurants? Oh yes, and the gross little boy things! I raised 3 sons so it takes a lot to gross me out. When we were in Red River, my niece's little boy bought a $10 machine that makes a variety of disgusting noises with a 20-second delay. Talk about gross-out! Well my DIL got in on the act and in a store pushed the button and I about died because I thought she had an intestinal problem. In front of a lot of people. She was on the floor laughing at my reaction.

Lily - I could fill a few curio cabinets and have with my junk. I have printers' trays with everything from my babies' little hospital bracelets to their more recent plastic bracelets for knee surgeries and medals from school and all sorts of "priceless" junk.

Peggy - a few years ago when I was on chemo, I would make it home to the couch and lay there senseless until time for bed. That year in one month Leon watered our yard until it was an oasis in the desert and our water bill for one month was $162. But I figured it was his therapy for the bad time we were going through. What was funny was that no one else watered like that, so when it rained, no one could tell which yard had had $162 spent on it. (except for the flowers)Your cake sounded scrumpt-deli-icious.

Back to my lonely office. Every once in awhile somebody comes in to measure something or install something, but for the most part I am alone. Tomorrow Joyce will be back from vacation. For today I am just doing whatever comes in (very, very litte) and keeping the lights on. BORING!
Glenda
Old 07-10-2002, 12:52 PM   #13  

Default Strawberry Cool Whip is not low fat

so far it is just regular. But I used sugar free pudding and ff milk to I figured that cancelled out the calories in the cool whip. Wish it really would work that way. You could probably make your own flavored cool whip by mixing in some sugar free dry jello. Slavika don't you just hate all the directions. I had to change some numbers on my speed dial last week. It took forever. It would help if I was multi-lingual and could read French or Spanish since those are the directions I usually find first. Anyway was just coming by to see what was new. Going to a friends house tonight with the wicked women group. I am making a Chicken Taco Ensalada. Salad with chicken and beans and stuff. Low Fat.
Old 07-10-2002, 10:38 PM   #14  

Thanks for the info Peggy. I won't be talking about strawberry coolwhip in my meetings. Now that Chicken Taco Ensalada Sounds like there must be some kind of a recipe to it. Care to share?

Glenda, Your DIL sounds like a fun person. Glad tomorrow you won't be lonely any more.

Karen
Old 07-11-2002, 11:55 AM   #15  
Life Time 2001

Maria: If we do go back to Hawaii I would like to do some snorkling. Wanted to the last time but chickened out. Wasnt in that good of shape, but now I am so I feel I could do it!
Sorry you missed out on the Photoshop 7
I hear you on the remote controls! My DH bought a new fancy dancy one with so many buttons, I cant figure it out so go back to my old one. He wanted to get rid of it but I said NO way!!!!!!! You have your stupid litte toy so leave mine be

Peggy: I collect Art glass. Both Victorian and new pieces to. I have a place we go to all the time where I watch them blow glass and I never leave empty handed
Then there is DH who loves Salt shakers of fish and alligators, so we have a few of those also.
Glad the visit with your cyber friend work out! Do share that Chicken Ensalad recipe sounds yum...

Salvika: I think men design all the new toys out there. And then write 5000 page instuction booklets that make no sense for them. Guess they have nothing better to do

Glenda: Those Baby braclets are priceless. Wish I still had mine. Dont think my mom kept them Glad your co worker comes back soon, it does make it lonely when you are by yourself.

Karen: I havent seen the stawberry Cool whip either. But I bet it will be in low fat in the future if the other sells well.

Later!
Closed Thread