South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 07-15-2008, 10:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/177/150

Height: 5'3

Default Stuck at a Plateau!!

Has anyone else experienced this?? I've been doing SB since January and been on Phase 2 this whole time (with some slip-ups of course), but I'm stuck at one stupid weight!! The slip-ups weren't big, just a vacation here and a party there. I exercise 5 days a week and that stupid little number won't budge. I know it's not about a number, but I'm not feeling any different in my clothes either. I have PCOS so I know that may be part of it, but I'm so incredibly frustrated!! . It makes it seem not worth it.

Should I do Phase 1 again for a jump start? I can't imagine trying to squeeze in more exercise. I barely have time for an hour a day as it is. GRRRR!
SoulCyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:59 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Siberacuse?

Check out this post in the FAQ section. Lots of us have had the same problem. It's also a good idea to go by measurements rather than the number on the blasted scale!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:00 AM   #3  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Have you considered other kinds of exercise? Something more intense? For example, if you walk for exercise - try running in short bursts. If you do the elliptical machine, try an incline treadmill and power walk on the highest incline. You may not need more exercise....just better exercise. Also, try lifting weights.

You may want to try cutting out a grain and see where that gets you. Also, really cleaning up your diet might help....no slip-ups! Check your calories on fit-day, it is amazing how much food we don't even realize we're taking in - tasting food, etc. If your calories are high, that might be the cause.

As you continue to lose weight, your body needs fewer calories to maintain that weight - while at one time your body may have needed 2000 calories to maintain, it may only need 1700 now - and if you're getting 1700 a day, you won't lose. Make sense? Try cutting out higher calorie snacks - peanut butter, for example. Make sure those portions are strict.

and finally, this happens to everybody. The key is to not just give up because 'it isn't working'. There is a post in the FAQ section about plateaus that is a great read. It is very, very common for people to plateau after losing weight steadily for a number of months....and they get around it by using the suggestions I gave you above.

Good luck.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:03 AM   #4  
Heather-Nic

S/C/G: 293.5/248/220

Height: 5'7"

You got great advice from Zeff. The only thing I can add is to make sure you're eatting something as close to when you wake up as possible. I had hit a plateau and my doctor suggested that I eat when I wake up, before my work out, to get the metabolism moving sooner.
Stick with it...it works!
hmacneil6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:16 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Great advice Zeff!
I don't have advice to add, but just want to say, I'm right there with you. I didn't lose anything for an entire month recently, despite being on plan. When I have lost, it has been very slow. Don't get frustrated. I am trying some of the things zeff mentioned, hopefully we will break out of this soon.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:19 AM   #6  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

i need to see menus to help determine if it's truly a plateau.

with SBD however it's a fine line between eating on plan and losing and a treat here or there.......
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:55 AM   #7  

Are you familiar with interval training and circuit training? Both are excellent ways for me to bust a plateau. You challenge your body to work harder and in the process, your workout is more efficient. I personally mix both concepts, doing 4 minutes of easy to moderate cardio, followed by 2 minutes of strenuous cardio, and then maybe 3 minutes of toning and strength training. Repeat this process 5 times and it will add up to 30 minutes of cardio and 15 minutes of toning and strength training. You have a total body workout! I usually start and finish with a yoga warmup and cool down.

Google both terms and find ideas that work for you. Btw, if you strength train with free weights maybe it's time to increase the resistance or you should do more reps.
cmichele1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:42 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 152/120/120

Height: 5 foot 3 inch

Little slip-ups can lead to major problems with the scale moving in a downward direction. I used to also think that a little cheat here and there won't hurt but they totally add up. I agree with the previous poster, just start seriously tracking your calories (fitday or dailyplate) and start changing your workout. It is a good idea to change your workouts every 2-3 months to keep the body guessing. If you go to a gym, try a new group exercise class or if you used to lift light, try doing one set per body part until failure.
Post a sample day's meal plan as well as a sample cheat meal so we can get an idea of what we can suggest to help you.
Just don't give up! You have come so far already.
thunderbegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 152/120/120

Height: 5 foot 3 inch

One more thing, I would do Phase I again if I were you. Especially since you haven't been doing phase 2 exactly according to plan.
thunderbegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:03 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 195/177/150

Height: 5'3

hi girls -

Thanks for all the advice!! I actually do take the group exercise classes at the gym that have alternating cardio intensity and weight lifting. I did hear that with PCOS weight lifting works more effeciently than straight cardio for some reason. I will probably do phase 1 again to clear everything out and then start taking into account all advice. Thanks guys!
SoulCyster is offline   Reply With Quote