View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 07:48 PM   #96
SoulBliss
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shananigans View Post
Wow, am I glad I poked my head in here. I haven’t been visiting these boards much lately, because honestly I spend enough time IRL surrounded by omnivores and lacto/ovo veggies and “vegetarians” that eat gelatin that I’ve come to prefer my online forum time to be spent with other vegans, of which I know exactly zero in real life. But this has been a really good discussion that surprisingly hasn’t devolved into crazy accusations and name calling.

I guess it would be really nice if I could go anywhere to eat and just say “vegan” and assume the server knew what I meant, or be assured that there actually would be anything vegan anywhere I go, but sadly that’s not the world we live in. I guess it sort of bothers me, but I’ve also kind of just gotten over it and adjusted. Half the time I don’t even use the word “vegan” when talking to a server or anyone who might be preparing me a meal (especially if I have reason to believe that word doesn’t mean anything to them) and I just go straight for the “no meat, fish, poultry, meat-based stock, dairy (sometimes have to clarify what all dairy means), eggs, gelatin or honey” diatribe. Does this make me sound neurotic and crazy sometimes? I’m sure it does. But I don’t care. I have aligned myself with a set of beliefs that the vast majority of those around me are unfamiliar with, and thus my consumption patterns are not something most people are going to know about off the bat if I just say “vegan”. I know where to go to get good vegan food, if I’m choosing the restaurant I will go to one of these places. If I’m forced by some sort of group situation or something to go to an omni-centric restaurant I just deal with it as best I can. I don’t really care about the label “vegan” as much as I care about what being vegan means to me, which is deeply personal and I just don’t presume that the average person is interested in my personal ethical beliefs.

Now that isn't to say I don't try to have educational moments about what veganism is and what it means to me if I'm asked by a friend or co-worker, I'm just saying that the muddying of the term is the reality of the situation and I can work around it accordingly in food situations.

pssst...un, there's actually no dietary requirement for meat or any animal products in your diet.

source: from the ADA position paper on veg*an diets.
I relate to your post, 100%.

I feel like I am "adjusted" too, but it's been a struggle for SO long that it gets tiring after a while.