Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-15-2008, 07:23 AM   #1  
Mel

Default Lift and Chat: July 15 -31, 2008

Yikes! The summer is half over and I haven't done anything summerish!

I woke up feeling sluggish, like I'm getting sick. Cardio was a slog, but done. After my adventures in scale-land, I don't dare skip it

Fran, slow loss is still loss! I'm doing (almost) everything right and slowly gaining Your gym hotel experience sounds fantastic!

Sorry for the drive-by posts, but work is crazy! Why do we have a zillion special projects in the summer?

Legs at lunch if I'm still awake

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 252/238/180

Height: tall enough to know what's on top of your refrigerator

Hey Mel!

Hope you feel better soon. I ate something bad yesterday & was sick all night. So today it's bland food for me. Lots of busy stuff at work but after today should calm down.

I am so smitten with my cruiser bike, it's kind of sad. But hey, it gets me around town with the added bonus of cardio! Now, if it weren't so hot outside......
denvertechchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:26 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Mel,

I was lamenting it being mid summer because I was hoping to start rock climbing this summer but I didn't hit my goal rock climbing weight, so I didn't do it. Next summer, I will be rock climbing. I may even look into it into the fall.

Bad news - I have realized my weight has been bouncing around for 8 months. I wanted to start rock climbing in May/June and that never happened. I wanted to be well under 200 by now and that didn't happen. My clothes got tight, I felt bloated and crappy and my knee started hurting again.

Good news - (Although I've said it before) I'm done with bouncing and I am getting back on track. I've been exercising every day, no matter what. Food has been good and I have a plan. I also think I'm out of my funk.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:29 AM   #4  
Mel

Nelie- recognition is step one. Change all the "I want" to "I will". I can see you climbling! It's a great sport, indoor or out. You've got the maintenance part down, now take the plunge and go for the next phase

Denver- Hope you are feeling better!

My cold has settled in despite attempts to ward it off. Cardio wasn't exactly intense today. I'm lifting shoulders and abs at lunch, so that should at least go well.

I've settled into a maintenance weight that is 5 pounds higher than I'd like. So nelie's pep talk applies to me, too. I'm an angel during the week, but weekends have been self-sabotage. And stress eating. You'd think that sometime in the last half century of my life, I'd have figured out that food solves no problems other than hunger, and 9 times out of ten, I'm NOT hungry when I eat off plan! I'm just

Off to one of my stressors...work time!

Mel
Old 07-16-2008, 09:48 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Oh I definitely am not hungry when I eat off plan. The past couple months have been a teeter totter of me overeating to overeat then stopping, then overeating, then stopping. It was that inner child saying "oooo a bagel" or "a couple pb sandwiches sounds good" or "I want chocolate" or whatever else and no one to stop the inner child.

I will definitely be rock climbing next spring at the latest. I plan to do outdoor rock climbing but if I reach my goal rock climbing weight in the fall/winter, I may look at indoor places.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:24 AM   #6  
Mel

Is this vacation week?
Old 07-17-2008, 07:41 AM   #7  
Meg

Vacation? Heck no, everyone's at the gym. Today was bike, elliptical, and core. There's nothing like watching the big red sun rise over the ellipticals to start the day off right!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:43 AM   #8  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

No vacation this week either. I'm just busy reading. Books more than online posts but not to worry. I'll post about them later. Off to the gym this morning. I haven't done any lifting all week it's been mostly just cardio. It's a guess what I'll do today when I walk in there. I've just been really tired and perhaps needed a recovery week.

tonight which I am looking forward to doing. Catch up with everyone later.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:13 AM   #9  
No description available.

No vaca here either. I need one >sigh<. I'm just working. A lot. Money is a good thing, though, since it is necessary for protein shakes, running shoes, and personal trainers.

I'm in a weird place mentally. I'm trying to be very calm and collected with the scale and convince myself I am content with this weight. My body fat percentage was nice and low the last time I had it measured and maybe I am just not really meant to hit the 140s. Muscle has some weight to it. But no matter how much I *know* the scale is not the be all end all of this process, sometimes my inner toddler sulks and pouts and whines.

I do NOT want to lose muscle mass to satisfy my desire to see the 140s on the scale.

I should write that sentance 100 times.

So I'm running and lifting and eating yummy healthy foods in appropriate portions with a goal of 125 grams of protein a day. It's really not very exciting to write about. This is the nuts and bolts of maintenance, I suppose.

I am planning ahead to the school year, when I will have more barriers with my exercise plan. I will need to get up earlier to get my runs in, and it will be cold and dark. I will need to be super organized for my kids, for dinner, homework, their practices, house cleaning, packing lunches, etc., so that I can still have my gym time. Planning will be super important---cause if I don't have clean protein and veggies in the house for dinner, it will be too easy to make grilled cheese or something.

My baby starts kindergarten this year, so bear with me when I am a bawling mess. He's ready. I'm not ready. I like having a preschooler at home. I will miss him during the day. It is a new phase in my life.

Well, I'm off to help teenagers not get pregnant. Have a great day!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:59 PM   #10  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Afternoon, everyone. I know I've been MIA, but at least I've been thinking about posting. Surely that counts for something!

My summer so far has been a lot of work-related traveling, work, and more work. Oh, and gardening, which sometimes feels like work but sometimes doesn't.

Aside from work, my major goals for the summer were to (a) teach The Boy how to swim, and (b) lose the 8-ish pounds that seem to have crept back on this spring. (Waah!!). Let's just say that I'm making more progress with the swim lessons.

I do fine during the day, I'm very active even if I'm not going to the gym quite as often, but something happens late at night and I turn into an eating machine. I'm sure it's a matter of the combination of stress (did I mention that I'm behind on my work?) and an improper balance of nutrients and timing (e.g., eating too little during the day).

So, here's what I'm going to do about it: as of today, I'm going to start counting calories again. It's a drag, and I don't like the fact that I can't maintain without counting calories (let alone lose), but so it goes. Y'all have to hold me to this, OK?

Better news (caution, bragging ahead!): I had my annual physical this week and, because I recently switched insurance plans, it included basic blood work to assess my risk for heart problems etc. Even though the receptionist didn't tell me I was supposed to fast before my blood test, my numbers were, in the doctor's word, stunning. My "bad" cholesterol is extremely low, and my "good" cholesterol very high. I don't remember the exact figures for each, but my ratio of total cholesterol:bad cholesterol is 2:1 (2.0). The doctor said he's never seen such beautiful blood. Hey, my abs may be disappearing under a layer of fat, but at least my blood is beautiful.

Ah, vanity.

I hope everyone is doing well. I've missed LWL!

Be strong,
Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:13 PM   #11  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Hey all. I tried to post yesterday, but kept getting the "IE cannot display the page" error, and after trying about six times, just ran out of time for fiddling with it. Can't remember what I said, but I'm sure it was brilliant.

Had a good lifting session on Tuesday. Deadlifts are getting much better. Had planned to try rack pulls in the power cage, but the safety bars don't go low enough for my short legs. Might be able to pull it off with a step set up in there, but just went for regular deadlifts that day, since I was short on time.

Yesterday's schedule was all messed up, so I didn't get my yoga in, but did manage to get a haircut, get the mowing and housework done at home, and make it to skating practice.

Undecided yet if I will make it to the Y, or just get my lifting in at home. After yesterday's crazy day, I'm inclined to stick close to home and try to catch up on a few things around the house. I'll probably go anyway, since I need to stop by the Wal-marche' to pick up a few things. Better get to it.. talk to you all later!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:02 PM   #12  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Oh my aching bottom. Now I know what happens when I follow up leg day with a yoga class. DOMS setting in and class ended just 45 minutes ago. Great class though. I'm learning a lot and trying to practice it immediately when I come home but I'm justt so sore. The best I can do is find the positions and bookmark them on youtube for reference.

Cheryl: seems like you did enough for one day if you were able to catch up around the house in addition to the skating practice.

Kim: Blood vanity. That's great. My garden has returned into it's natural state of becoming a "wish garden." Somewhere there are tomatoes and peas, I just have to get the weeds out to find them. ~sigh~

Midwife: I'm right where you are with the scale thing. I just don't really know how low to really go without running the risk of sacrificing any muscle I may have preserved or built in the last three years. Diet too has me a little I keep thinking in my head just five or seven more pounds and I'm there but what am I losing or gaining by doing that? Anyway, I'm not stressing over it. I'm just going to continue to eat the clean things I enjoy and keep on moving because I enjoy that too. I will strive to dip a little lower just out of curiosity but I really think that my real goal is to preserve muscle. I am going to need all the metabolic tissue I can have going into the next decade and beyond.

to everyone else. I'm tired and all mellowed out from my ujjayi (victorious breath) yoga breathing. Have a great evening everyone.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:41 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Interesting tidbit......I'm on a goal to keep protein at 80 g or less daily for this kidney-stone avoidance diet. Final offer on that vat of Designer Whey

Lydia, glad you explained that yoga move. For awhile I thought you were headed to Oprah's vajaejae territory!

Last edited by sportmom; 07-17-2008 at 11:42 PM.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:42 AM   #14  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Didn't do the Y trip today. Decided shopping could wait, and did the Crossfit WOD today, just for "fun". Fun...right...pant-pant...die...lol. 15 push-ups, 12 dips, 9 push press, as many rounds in 20 mins as possible. I made it through six, barely. Gawd, I hate push-ups! It felt good to make it out alive, though, and gave my legs a break, for once.

NSV: my XL shirts are getting too big, I just realized today! So, even if the scale isn't moving, something good is happening! Also, I almost have shoulder muscles...woohoo! My dream is to have shoulder muscles you can see.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:48 AM   #15  
Mel

I'm still sick and in giant sloth mode.

Fran- what was the offer on the vat of designer whey?

Wow- sure brought everyone out of the woodwork yesterday! Nice to see everyone

Mel